Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This year a young man from Texas took an F150 down the same Trail, two wheel drive.
I don't think that truck will ever see pavement again.
I'll go back up next spring and see if it's still there.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ok, I wasn't aware that there are 2 Ft Braggs. I was thinking of the one in NC. Even so, I don't believe that a gps lead them up a forest service road. It would take them along state and US highways, the most commonly used routes. I've been driving by gps for years. What gets you in trouble is trying to take a series of short cuts, forcing the gps to recalculate time after time. Pretty soon it's looking for any road it can find. The blatant stupidity kicks in when you leave the pavement thinking you're on a US highway.

gps takes you all over the place...in northern arizona.

tour busses full of korean tourists stuck on ranch roads, mustang convertibles full of coeds running the back roads of Tusayan, semi truck full of lettuce bogged down and rotting off the 300 road on the Mogollon Rim.

real time info says highway so and so is closed, gps routes you to anything shown on its electronic map.......

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
GPS? I'm doubting that. Probably Google Maps. They ain't the same thing.

You are probably right.
Google, tom-tom etc.(GPS navigation systems) shortened to GPS by the average Karen.
They often just digitize mapped roads in without confirmation of the rural ones.
I would bet that they lump gravel, seasonally maintained, class IV, V, VI, & VII into one category...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have property on a island in the Straits of Mackinaw. Few years back a group came off the 10:00pm ferry and headed for the north shore to camp! The next day they walked back to get help as the the 4x4 4 door pickup and 28’ inclosed trailer where stuck? the trailer was so bent out of shape that you couldn’t get the back doors open to get the quads out! The local construction company used a 4 guys,dozer, and 3 chain saws and all day to get the rig out and turned around. The GPS had put them on a quad trail that I wouldn’t ride my quad on without a chain saw and others quads. The sad/funny thing the owner of the Construction company said that laying on the front seat was a map that showed the right way to the camp sites. The local Deputy expounded the truck and trailer till the tow bill was payed.

just for Fun
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Trimmigrants are always getting lost in southern oregon and northern california. Had two walk into out fishing camp on the Rogue river, they had been lost for two days. 1/4 mile from a major road! Dumb and Dumber! The lost couple, probably ask the car for directions to Ft. Bragg N.C..

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
"It is the exact same thing that happened south of your place a few years back when that Canadian couple decided to take a shortcut through Jarbidge to get to Elko from Twin Falls, in the winter. That turned out badly. "

Lived near there at the time. Late winter with heavy snow in the mountains. Couple missed their US-95 road from Boise to Vegas and were headed east on I84. Realized mistake and asked GPS for shortest route to Vegas without specifying paved roads only. GPS sent them straight south across the Jarbidge mountains. They drove across the valley with their 2 wheel drive van and started up the mountains, encountered deep snow and slid off the unmaintained USFS road. Instead of walking back downhill, out of the snow, and toward the freeway, the husband took his trusty GPS, and started walking over the 9000' pass to a state highway shown 12 miles to the south. Hunters found his remains 18 months later. His wife was found alive at the van 42 days later. She survived on a bag of Jolly Rancher candy and melted snow water.

Last edited by Oldidaho; 01/28/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are some better than they use to be, but the reason I'd never trust a Magellan over my Garmin. When they first came out, a buddy and I stashed a tree stand back in the woods and went to find it the next weekend with his newly acquired Magellan GPS. Engaging the brain told us that we were going 180 degrees in the wrong direction and found the thing after we turned around. Then just a couple years back down south we put in the way point to get back home and it wanted us to take a dirt road through an orange grove. Nope.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have been using the system since it first became available for deploying/recovering instruments and studies of habit use. After the removal of selective availability, I find it accurate to within 2 or 3 yards and within a foot or so with differential correction. Absolute faith in the system, but have seen issues with maps and those that write the code for route selection.

Like said previously, there are roads in their data bases with historic paper based origins. They existed in the horse and buggy days, but are no longer maintained.

When the city folks have to start opening gates, it's time for them to turn around.

A lot of the old paper maps though depict wilderness trails etc that are no longer maintained and are not rendered on newer versions.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/28/21.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like paper maps and I like satellite photos. I have a Magellan in the car and will use it in an unfamiliar city (most of them) but I don't really trust it for anything else. I'm not a hi- tech fan. GD

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have been using the system since it first became available for deploying/recovering instruments and studies of habit use. After the removal of selective availability, I find it accurate to within 2 or 3 yards and within a foot or so with differential correction. Absolute faith in the system, but have seen issues with maps and those that write the code for route selection.

Like said previously, there are roads in their data bases with historic paper based origins. They existed in the horse and buggy days, but are no longer maintained.

When the city folks have to start opening gates, it's time for them to turn around.

A lot of the old paper maps though depict wilderness trails etc that are no longer maintained and are not rendered on newer versions.
OnX shows a lot of desert roads near here that no longer exist. They're grown over with sagebrush which takes years to grow. I've tried to find some when 4 wheeling and failed. Onx will show that I'm on them but there's nothing there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About 4 years ago, a friend and I traveled from Yuma up to Havasu City to tour the gunshops. We had the addresses for the shops and input them into his expensive new GPS unit his son had bought him. It worked just fine until we got to town and started searching for the gunshops. Dang thing lead us all over town, up alleys, down into cul-de-sacs and dead ends, we really got a tour of the town, never did get us to the shops . Stopped at book store and bought a street map, followed it to where we wanted to go with no problem whatsoever. Of course, we are both geezers that know how to read and follow a paper map.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rockchuck:

OnX shows a lot of desert roads near here that no longer exist.

Yes. I can find roads in our desert country on current aerial photos, digitize them for entry into a GPS unit, and from the ground one would swear there is no road. Mother Nature can erase evidence of our presence in short order. Even in the desert.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 01/28/21.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
"It is the exact same thing that happened south of your place a few years back when that Canadian couple decided to take a shortcut through Jarbidge to get to Elko from Twin Falls, in the winter. That turned out badly. "

Lived near there at the time. Late winter with heavy snow in the mountains. Couple missed their US-95 road from Boise to Vegas and were headed east on I84. Realized mistake and asked GPS for shortest route to Vegas without specifying paved roads only. GPS sent them straight south across the Jarbidge mountains. They drove across the valley with their 2 wheel drive van and started up the mountains, encountered deep snow and slid off the unmaintained USFS road. Instead of walking back downhill, out of the snow, and toward the freeway, the husband took his trusty GPS, and started walking over the 9000' pass to a state highway shown 12 miles to the south. Hunters found his remains 18 months later. His wife was found alive at the van 42 days later. She survived on a bag of Jolly Rancher candy and melted snow water.

You can't blame the gps for that. It did exactly what they asked and did it well. Too often a gps is blamed for user error. The biggest problem is that a user doesn't have the sense to turn around when the road is obviously deteriorating. There's also such a thing as zooming out with a gps and taking a look at the whole area, not just what's down the road in front of your nose. They would have easily seen Wells, NV, Hwy 93, and I-80.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Which gps you use makes a difference. We have a Toyota with a built in gps. It uses Toyota's own program. I find that the Garmin that I keep in my pickup to be more accurate. On our next trip, I'm going to run them side by side to see what all differences there are. The Toyota is a PIA to program. It tries to outguess what you're entering and sometimes I've had to rewrite an address in a different form or it can't take it.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Those Delorme map books they sell in bookstores have every goat path, dirt road, tractor path, and highway in them. Unfortunately, an awful lot of those goat paths and tractor tracks are no longer "available" or have washed out years ago. I can remember about 30 years ago, a couple of guys came down one of those washed-out roads that we "locals" had known was washed out for nearly 30 years prior to that. Dad and I were watching a field looking for deer, when they came along.

They said that Junior had told them the road was open, and they were "BY GOD gonna go down that road to get to XXXXX's place. I knew Junior, and knew he'd told them the right way, but they were hell-bent on heading down that road. The old creek had cut across that road about a quarter mile down the way, around a bend, and the bridge had been washed out when I was a kid. I told them to go for it, since they were hell-bent on doing it, but to get a really good run to jump that ditch..........................We were watching them as they turned around in another field. Dumbass drunks........................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Rock Chuck, my point exactly. Stupid people with no common sense are dangerous when they blindly believe their GPS.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,055
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.