Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
koot Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hello All,
I am thinking about getting one of these for my kids to shoot, as the budget is a bit tight and one is a lefty.I have never even picked up one of these so any imput would be great.Would you go 243 or 7mm-08.Kids are 13 and 11.
Thanks Koot

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I only have experience with a NEF 20ga. But it is a no frills no nonsense work gun. They are tough as well. My two concerns would be how light they are, and the exposed hammer. But with proper instruction the hammer issue is not a problem.

I would get one in .243 if it were me, And put a nice big recoil pad on it with maybe a recoil reducer depending on how sensitive to recoil your kids are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son is 11 and has been shooting an NEF .243 win for the last 4 years. It also has a matching set of barrels in .50 cal ML and 20 gauge. It shoots ok, but the problem is the scope mounts. They have to be high to clear the hammer. You have to put a high comb kit on the stock so they can see through the scope. Not the best situation. BUT..if you go with a very slim scope with a slim ocular bell and slim objective, you can mount it a little lower, you have to play with different rings heights to get it right. If your serious about it, PM me and I will get you the info as to the scope and ring hgt combo that works best. I tried quite a few. Caliber wise, I'd go .308 win and shoot the Remington or Federal reduced ammo, kick less than .243 loads and you will still have a lot of bullet. A .243 kills well if it is aimed well, if not it's an awesome crippler. My son is shooting a Rem 700 SPS in .308 now, handloading makes it easier too. The 7/08 is wonderful but it doesn't have reduced loads. Start them out light or it can really turn'em off quick. I started with reduced 243 loads, 80 gr SP at 2200 fps. Kick was nonexistent. .308's with 130's would do the same. The reduced loads are 125 or 130 gr don't remember, We've shot several boxes and they're pretty mild. Recoil pads become a problem b/c they increase the LOP, if your kids are tall for their age, it's not a problem. You can get the youth version and it comes with the adult replacement for later. Buy the synthetic, it's much lighter.

Thank God for Mississippi!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anyone that has a NEF and would like a higher comb should consider this. It's called an Accu-Riser. I've put them on 2 rifles and they work wonderfully. You have a choice of a strapped or un-strapped model. They are available here.

http://www.blackpowderbags.com

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bought a NEF in .243 for my grandson's first deer hunt last year. It has a synthetic stock with a high comb - scope mounting no problem - also a recoil pad. He'd never shot a centerfire of any kind before but got an 1 1/2" group at 100yds. I've gotten one inch groups.

He was never out of arm's reach while carring that gun and because of the exposed hammer I could tell at a glance the if gun was "on safe". Because of the simple design loading and checked for an empty chamber was quick and safe.

While sighting in I shot next to a friend who'd bought a Rossi in .243 for the very same reason. He had a devil of a time getting 6in. groups.

I am very pleased with the NEF and feel it's an ideal first gun. Should my grandson want to squirrel hunt a 20ga barrel is an option.

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NOT a .243 0r 7mm-08. the higher-pressure rimless chamberings often have ejection issues. i'd get 'em a .30-30. the NEF .30-30s are very accurate. when your tykes get older, you can re-barrel to higher intensity chamberings if you'd like. my son't heavy barrel NEF in .308 is an excellent shooter, but a bit heavy for youngsters. the .30-30 also can be handloaded with pointed bullets. a 150-grain spire point at 2,450-2,500 fps is a super killer on out there ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I agree on the .30-30. On the Handi Rifle forum, there are numerous horror stories about trying to get .243s to shoot(mostly Superlight barrels). The .30-30 is reputed to be the most accurate of the NEF barrels. I would opt for a rimmed case in .30-30 ( more reliable extraction) and reload with 125 Ballistic tips. I doubt if you can safely reach 2500fps with 150 gr pointed bullets- that is 300 Savage territory. Although you should come close with the reduced bearing surface of the spitzers.

Leon

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another vote for the great 30/30 in the NEF.

I would Handload 125 grain B-Tips to about 2500 for a kid vs. deer load.

Good Shooting,

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My employe has a 243 that had case sticking issues. Sent it back and got a different rifle and still had the issue. I gave the chamber a pretty good polish and while the case sticking issue is reduced, it still does so occasionally. It is common enough that some dremnel a small relief at the back of the chamber so as to be able to pry a case out with a pocket tool screw driver.

IC B3

K
koot Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
thanks for all the replys.I am looking at the Marlin 30-30 as well.I will check out the forum on nef web page.
Thanks Koot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only problem that I've had is with the action coming open immediately following the shot. Not sure why. After investigating further, some rounds just did not "seat" well in the chamber and wouldn't allow the action to close with a positive click. It would click but differently. I assume the brass may have been a little long on some cases.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would guess that a NEF 30-30 for a youngster could conveniently be rechambered to 30-40 Krag when said child got a bit bigger. If the model holds .308 and .243 it will certainly handle .30-40.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
absolutely, vig.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What kid wants to run around hollering "I shoot a 30-30 or 30-40". I'm being facetious of course, both are very effective. just saying that kids are BIG on one-upping their buds not to mention confidence, whether real or imagined.

When choosing my son's first bolt action Remmy, upgrading from a NEF .243 win. I let him help me pick the caliber, (11 yrs old) we discussed the .260, 7/08 and .308. When he learned that snipers use the .308, man he was sold immediately. Crazy confidence. He's also seen my .308 lay'em down quite effectively. Just saying that confidence in the gun your holding is as important as the ability to shoot it. Not trying to get all metaphysical or anything, just seen it for myself. He takes more pride in it b/c he helped make the decision, helps reload his ammo, etc. Future gun-geek in training.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Very recently (3 months ago) a police officer, at the city I worked for during an internship, bought a 22-250 NEF that had to get shipped back to the factory for work. When fired the action would break-open. They took care of it. It's interesting that the previous post had the same issue.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a couple of them. They can be fun, you can get a .22 barrel that fits the standard frame (not from the factory, idiots don't even know they make it when you call, but it is from the VersaPack package), the shotgun points pretty good, and they are about the best muzzleloader setup out there.

Do not get the Superlight 243 for a kid unless you plan to load down. I call my wife's the "Little Monster" and I'm used to shooting an -06.

I would second the 30-30 rimmed case, as the others do have occasional extraction issues (our 243 does sometimes).

They will not 'shoot open' unless the latch is not closing properly on the barrel underlug. This comes from either not SNAPPING them shut (which can be hard for a small kid to do) or else the lug has to be polished down ever so slightly so that the latch catches it better.

Overall, the single-shot and exposed hammer and ability to look down an empty barrel make for a lot of confidence on the safety side of it, but they are not a "great" gun in any sense. Your kid will quickly want something else, and I don't really blame them. For starting out cheap, yes they work, but don't plan on it being a lifetime investment for the kids. You might want to keep it yourself and put a muzzleloader barrel on it.

EBay has lots of barrel and stock auctions; Graybeardoutdoors dot com has a dedicated forum for the NEF/H&R guns, which is the best place for information.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mine in .223 would pop open also, a not uncommon problem after they loosen up a bit. The factory fixed mine, quickly and at no charge, even though the rifle was five years old at the time.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, the factory will fix most anything wrong with them, as they have to cover their liabilities.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by koot
thanks for all the replys.I am looking at the Marlin 30-30 as well.I will check out the forum on nef web page.
Thanks Koot

Damned hard to go wrong with a Marlin 336 in .30-30.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 40 invisible), 13,678 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,223
Posts18,543,895
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.