Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Friends, My dad is turning 90 in March in northern Nova Scotia and I'm in Virginia. I could not go on our annual hunting trip there last fall on account of the continued extension of the border closure. Of course he got the nicest whitetail 8 pointer he harvested in years at 89 and I wasn't there for the first time in 25 years or more. Went high school and trade school there in the 70's and have been there pretty well every fall since.

Anyway I am debating doing a quarantine in the camp we have there it has a wood stove and a generator. Wondering if any of you could share advice or been there done that.

Thanks in advance.

scottiskat

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd call Canada customs, the one you would cross over on. I've gotten straight Talk from them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You could meet AT the border stones...Maine/NB.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Check with Canada Customs like wabigoon said. There is some reports that even road traffic will soon have to go through the same nightmare that air travelers are now. Its pretty disgusting what they are doing and apparently the word is getting out. I talked to a booking agent the other day and he said the trend he is seeing is something he hasnt seen in his 35 year career. American anglers are canceling trips north by the droves, and heading to southern destinations totally disgusted with how Canada is handling this whole travel situation.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...id19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Note there are new rules coming into effect , when these come in effect you will be responsible for paying $2000.00 or more for confined quarantine in an approve government location.

You may want to confirm with the Provinces Health Center

Last edited by Flyer01; 02/12/21.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
To say I'm upset is an understatement. We can't use our place, or see our good friends.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I suppose a good question to ask here is, "While I understand why you are upset, do you understand why these measures were put in place?"

I see more cabin fever this year than is he seasonable norm, which is also understandable.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I suppose a good question to ask here is, "While I understand why you are upset, do you understand why these measures were put in place?"

I see more cabin fever this year than is he seasonable norm, which is also understandable.

No I dont understand why these measures have been put in place. Its total insanity. The entire last 8-months are insanity and somewhere somehow its got to end. I work ambulance when Im not in the bush, and these lockdowns have had a huge impact on the elderly and vulnerable. I've seen older folks who are having a heart attack, and know they are having a heart attack, refuse to go to the hospital because they are afraid. I've seen others who dont care about the virus, they just want their life back. Overdoses are off the charts, so are suicides. Science has told us from day one that asymptomatic people cant and dont spread covid. Put a big period after that. The best immunologists in the world have said that over and over.
Our Territorial communist party said last Friday that even after the population has been vaccinated the restrictions will be "indefinite." Thats the exact word they used....now they are having trouble getting people to come in for the second shot. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to an experimental vaccine that they have already told us wont prevent us from getting covid and wont stop us from spreading it, and even after we take it the restrictions will go on "indefinitely'!! Total insanity.

Then you see what I saw tonight...an elderly patient in AFIB with a history of cardiac problems. The patient doesnt want to go in for the blood tests to confirm this because of what happened to her the last time. Now this patient is very well known in my community and good friends with everyone on my crew. We finally talk her in to going to the hospital, which is a two hour ambulance ride away. We get there late in the evening, take her into the ER and leave because its against regulations for us to stay. We have another two hour drive home. We just get home and an hour later she calls and needs a ride home because they are kicking her out of the hospital "because of covid risks." So since were not allowed to use the ambulance, my wife had to jump in our personal car and drive all the way back in to get this poor lady and bring her home. The only other option was to leave her on the street at -35. Another 4 hours of driving. In any sane world they would have kept her overnight for observation, but sanity left long ago.
I know lots of people in the EMS community, and this insanity is happening all over western Canada. Canadians better stop listening to CBC, get their heads out of their arse and pay attention to whats going on around them. Fed up?? You bet I am, and so are lots of others. The president of the local Chamber of Commerce was in the paper today talking about all the businesses that have gone bankrupt, and those that are just hanging on. You know what he's worried about?? He's worried those businesses will just give up, and he's right many will. No way you can survive with no end in sight. As long as the travel restrictions remain in place Canadian businesses will continue to slowly bleed out.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Yes I understand why they are being put in place ....to deflect people from Trudeau ( and the government’s ) incompetence

Facts :

since Trudeau ‘closed’ the borders 9 million people have crossed the border into Canada.

Over 6 million of them were ‘exempt ‘ which means they had no requirements to be tested or Quarantine. Zero

Those exemptions are still in place, so over 75% of entries into Canada are STILL exempt from any type of quarantine, tests, or tracking

Air travelers, you know those horrible snow birds, are slightly less than 7 % of travelers into Canada. So the government is going to lock up 7 % of the population coming into Canada

And by doing this it will stop Covid? You know , the virus that has been present in Canada for over a year

So yeah I understand why these measures are being put in place and it has ZERO to do with anything except government BS

Last edited by Lorne; 02/14/21. Reason: Clarity
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Unless I missed it the rules I read posted by FLYER01 don’t mention vaccination. I got my first one yesterday, second March 13th. Three out of four members of our party have been vaccinated. My brother in law is a hospital exec and son works at the PD/FD as a dispatcher. The last guy is 62 and expects to get it by April. Hopefully the hunting in NF is open. I don’t mind staying a few more days if that’s what they require.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by yukon254

No I dont understand why these measures have been put in place. Its total insanity. The entire last 8-months are insanity and somewhere somehow its got to end. I work ambulance when Im not in the bush, and these lockdowns have had a huge impact on the elderly and vulnerable. I've seen older folks who are having a heart attack, and know they are having a heart attack, refuse to go to the hospital because they are afraid. I've seen others who dont care about the virus, they just want their life back. Overdoses are off the charts, so are suicides. Science has told us from day one that asymptomatic people cant and dont spread covid. Put a big period after that. The best immunologists in the world have said that over and over.
Our Territorial communist party said last Friday that even after the population has been vaccinated the restrictions will be "indefinite." Thats the exact word they used....now they are having trouble getting people to come in for the second shot. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to an experimental vaccine that they have already told us wont prevent us from getting covid and wont stop us from spreading it, and even after we take it the restrictions will go on "indefinitely'!! Total insanity.

Then you see what I saw tonight...an elderly patient in AFIB with a history of cardiac problems. The patient doesnt want to go in for the blood tests to confirm this because of what happened to her the last time. Now this patient is very well known in my community and good friends with everyone on my crew. We finally talk her in to going to the hospital, which is a two hour ambulance ride away. We get there late in the evening, take her into the ER and leave because its against regulations for us to stay. We have another two hour drive home. We just get home and an hour later she calls and needs a ride home because they are kicking her out of the hospital "because of covid risks." So since were not allowed to use the ambulance, my wife had to jump in our personal car and drive all the way back in to get this poor lady and bring her home. The only other option was to leave her on the street at -35. Another 4 hours of driving. In any sane world they would have kept her overnight for observation, but sanity left long ago.
I know lots of people in the EMS community, and this insanity is happening all over western Canada. Canadians better stop listening to CBC, get their heads out of their arse and pay attention to whats going on around them. Fed up?? You bet I am, and so are lots of others. The president of the local Chamber of Commerce was in the paper today talking about all the businesses that have gone bankrupt, and those that are just hanging on. You know what he's worried about?? He's worried those businesses will just give up, and he's right many will. No way you can survive with no end in sight. As long as the travel restrictions remain in place Canadian businesses will continue to slowly bleed out.

Well put. GD

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Spot on Yukon!

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by abbydog
Unless I missed it the rules I read posted by FLYER01 don’t mention vaccination. I got my first one yesterday, second March 13th. Three out of four members of our party have been vaccinated. My brother in law is a hospital exec and son works at the PD/FD as a dispatcher. The last guy is 62 and expects to get it by April. Hopefully the hunting in NF is open. I don’t mind staying a few more days if that’s what they require.

Under current regs, those few extra days at a government run isolation hotel will cost you $2k or more. Even if you have a negative test when you get here.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
In Northwestern Ontario we have had relatively few cases—it got into an old folks home in Thunder Bay so several elderly people died. That’s a tragedy but I know for a fact that deaths from drug overdoses is way up and probably have killed more people than Covid.
I looked up the numbers for the province of British Columbia and I must have made a mistake 1278 dead from Covid—1716 dead from drug overdose.—Those numbers can’t be right.
Beardmore in the winter can’t be more than 500 people and there is always a line up at the liquor store.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yukon you’re bang on

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by kkahmann
In Northwestern Ontario we have had relatively few cases—it got into an old folks home in Thunder Bay so several elderly people died. That’s a tragedy but I know for a fact that deaths from drug overdoses is way up and probably have killed more people than Covid.
I looked up the numbers for the province of British Columbia and I must have made a mistake 1278 dead from Covid—1716 dead from drug overdose.—Those numbers can’t be right.
Beardmore in the winter can’t be more than 500 people and there is always a line up at the liquor store.

No your numbers are right. Some local news channels were talking about it Saturday and those numbers are the same they quoted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by kkahmann

No your numbers are right. Some local news channels were talking about it Saturday and those numbers are the same they quoted.

yukon254:
Good morning sir, I hope that the weather is warming up a wee bit for you folks and all in your world are healthy.

Regarding the fentanyl OD issues here in BC, those numbers don't even begin to scratch the surface in that there's naloxone kits everywhere now, so they're able to kick start exponentially more OD's than when this began. The death rate then doesn't begin to show how bad the problem is.

In Penticton for instance, even before the beer flu mess, one would wait on scheduled surgeries for hours and sometimes days while the ER dealt with the daily OD patients.

You read that correctly, daily...

I had ER nurses and RCMP constables tell me there were people who they saw OD weekly.

The fentanyl and homeless problem is much, much worse here than beer flu as far as fatalities are concerned. That's just hard fact.

Anyways sir, here's to brighter days and we'll continue to work towards them.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Dwayne, it is warming although slowly. We saw -60 about a week back. First time in a couple years its dipped that low. I believe you on the ODs. I've been on our local ambulance crew for only 6-years so Im still a bit green but we have seen a drastic increase in that time. The virus certainly hasnt helped. All I know is Im a bit fed up with the entire deal. Between the wife and I we work with a lot of elderly people when we are not in the bush. My wife does home care and ambulance, and we are seeing a troubling trend. In my opinion a lot of these older folks are the salt of the earth and we owe them better than what were giving them.

Spring will be here soon and im looking forward to stalking through the green grass. I might even find a bear. Best to you and yours.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Of course, the other point is, just how many cases are there in the Yukon? There can't be many, even in Whitehorse. Keep people from flying in from Vancouver, and you're golden. The trouble is, tourism is big up there and this is hurting that sector badly. GD

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I see the border closure it pushed up to March 21st.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 1911a1, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 14,703 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,071
Posts18,541,289
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.