-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
spark plug trucks are good if you just want something that makes u feel manly, But the glow plug guys all know who the real men are ;\)

And it takes a real man to walk 30 miles back to town when your diesel won't start at -35 because you could not plug it in because there is no electricity at the cabin you are staying in while ice fishing,or running your trapline. grin

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
stubblejumper

Leave him be, he's one of those Chevy guys that just cant stand it that Toyota built a 4WD truck that will out run every one of the gas powered 4WD Chevy's with or without a trailer! I love it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you fit a regular (8 ft) camper on one? How woudl the power be for heavy hauling?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dont know about the Payload seeing as it is only a half ton but I think mine is rated for like 2000 lbs in the bed so its not a 3/4 ton but it'll damn sure haul it if you can get it in there. This thing has crazy power, how many 4x4 trucks in stock configuration will go 0-60 in 6 seconds and generate over 400 lbs of torque... while averaging over 19mpg on the highway not many. I really cant understand anymore why a guy would buy one of the big 3 half tons with them being priced so closely and this thing having the Toyota rep for durability and dependability with a monster motor and a sweet drivetrain. After all, more of this truck is built in the good old USA by Americans than Fords, Dodges and Chevys all put together so they cant use that excuse anymore (except for the ignorant guys that dont no any better and still think the truck is being built in Japan)!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a new 07 Tundra and love that truck. It has tons of power, is smooth and quiet with a carlike ride. Toyota put a lot of thought into this truck when building it. I just took it to West Virginia and back on a rafting trip with the girls, and got almost 21 (20.7) miles per gallon. That is better than I ever got on my 97 T100, or my 01 Tundra. They both had a lot less horse power and didn't weigh as much, but my new, heavier, 381 HP 07 Tundra is averaging around 17 mpg. I'm VERY happy with that considering the size of the engine and truck.
FYI, Consumer Report just tested the Tundra, Silverado, F-Series, and Dodge Ram in a head to head test. The Tundra won, followed by the Chevy, Ford and Dodge being last.
Consumer in my opinion (out of all the testers in different magazines, etc.) that one needs to listen to. They do a very good job of testing products. They don't receive any perks, and don't allow anyone to use their testing results in TV ads, etc. You'll see no advertisments of any kind in their magazine. They call it as they see it. They tell the good as well as the bad that they see in all the products they test. In 99% of the cases I consider them the Bible to which one should pay attention to.

Last edited by hunter01; 08/01/07.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
At a minimum all of the big three have 25% foreign made parts in their trucks and SUV's.

I have a 91 toyota xtra cab 3.0 liter V6. Toyota used that motor in hundreds of thousands of vehicles,until they went with a 3.4 liter. There was an estimated 250 faulty head gaskets in the 3.0,they recalled all of 3.0's and replaced the gasket free of charge.

Lets see,the 1988 to 1998 chevy-gmc independant front suspension used on blazers,trucks and suburbans was as [bleep] up as you can get. I had a 98 silerado that was plagued with front end problems. Three differant mechanics claimed GM knew full well the problem exsisted but did nothing,since front end repairs are pure profit for dealers.

Dodge is a real joke. I owned a 2001 3/4 ton cummins. Went through two trannies in under 100k,plus a rearend. Dealer smiled and said "I'm not seeing anything new here". Typical mopar experience. A friend of mine runs a car rental service at the airport. They rent just about anything short of muscle cars.They sell all their vehicles at 24,000 miles. All vehicles have a detailed listing of all services performed and parts replaced. Dodge pickups are like a mirror of the same [bleep] going wrong. Trannies,front ends and rear ends. GM pickups are front ends and trannies and starters. Ford is both trannies,front and rearends and major trouble with their diesels.

The local ford dealer is also a toyota dealer. I asked the mechanics which 1/2 ton trucks are more durable and what goes wrong. Hands down ford has all kinds of trouble with bearings and front ends.Not to mention trannies. The majority of toyotas few problems, tend to be electrical. The 04 tundras had a transmission linkage, that the dealer claims had a binding problem which was easily fixed under warranty. Before the trucks even left the lot.

I currently own an 07 tundra and have managed to put 18,000 miles on it already with no repairs. Thats 15,000 more trouble free miles,then any american vehicle I've owned. In fact the 04 yukon xl I owned managed to [bleep] out a tranny at 650 miles, all on the highway.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Buick needs to come out with a pickup. Put their stage 3 455 in there and whoop everyones butt with that high torque motor and the insides that belong in a rolls royce. Im looking forward to that day and i can see it coming. If lincoln can do it, so can another luxury auto maker. I cant even think of how nice they'd make that truck ride. Best car ive ever driven was a 1976 buick electra 225. That baby was felt like you were riding on air, it was such a smooth ride. Why dont they make cars like that anymore? Every new car, you have to feel every little crack in the road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a perfect example in the difference between a company that cares about the quality of vehicle they make and one that just makes vehicles period. I have worked for Dodge/Chrysler, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, and Toyota all my experience is in Service. If you have a transmission or engine go out in any of the American makes and it is a warranty repair there is a chance that an engine or tranny is either in the parts depatments warehouse in stock or that they can have one ordered and received in a couple days to a week. Toyota on the other hand will not allow you to keep a motor or tranny in parts for a warranty repair and absolutely will not ship one just cuz you ordered it without some serious esplaining. They have certain parts flagged in the parts computer (expensive and major components) that require you to call and explain what failed , why, whos fault it is and they will want the one that failed back pronto to be investigated. That always showed me the pride in the product they made. We pumped millions a year out of the American dealerships service departments in warranty repairs, not so the case in Toyota and the reasons are obvious.Might be why they have the extra money for R&D and are succeeding so well while the others are struggling to stay in business.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sledder
I have a 91 toyota xtra cab 3.0 liter V6. Toyota used that motor in hundreds of thousands of vehicles,until they went with a 3.4 liter. There was an estimated 250 faulty head gaskets in the 3.0,they recalled all of 3.0's and replaced the gasket free of charge.

250 you say.............

I guess they all failed in Atlanta then. A technician I worked with in the '90's worked for Atlanta Toyota during the 3.0l days and was proud of the fact that he could do head gaskets on 3 4-Runners in 2 days.
[Linked Image]

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll +1 that one I have seen over 250 of them done myself that were faulty and thats in a small town of 75,000 people so I am gonna guess that theres several zeros missing in that figure.But on the flip side how many other car makers out there would do a $1300 engine repair under warranty on a vehicle with 100,000+ miles on it.And to go one step further they reimbursed everybody who had payed for a faulty headgasket to be replaced, now thats impressive!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did have a little trouble getting the Honda in the bed of this thing without [bleep] up the front of the bed or the tailagte and this was my solution, I know its redneck but it works. Heres some pics of the old car ramps in the bed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strrrap it good or you could be minus some rear window glass.

Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been there done that! Yeah I coss strap it no matter what truck I'm in, them sliders aint cheap!

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, Scare the chit out of you too!

Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scares the chit out of my checkbook too! Was going down a really steep and muddy rutted up powerline trail in 4 Low one time and had one of the straps break on one side, BAM it busted through the rear window, and I could't stop so I just kept driving and it kept goin Bam Bam Bam, glass flying all over, it sucked when I got to the bottom of the hill!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
been there done that too. Only the artic cat went throught the rear slider lol. Thats what happens when you dont ask for someones help and you pick the 4wheeler up and then push. Whoops.

On our f250, we have a tool box in the back and we just pick up the front of the 4wheeler, put the wheels on the top of the tool box and then strap everything down tight. leaves us with plenty of room and plus we still have out tool box with all our oils, tools and chains and such. Last year we were able to fit 3 deer in the back on the bed with the 4wheeler and all of our stuff. This truck only has the 6" bed i believe.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were driving down the highway and this old fart decides he missed his exit and decides to stop while we are running 75 or 80 and my buddy was driving and at the last second he buried the brakes and when the glass shattered it was freakin amazing how loud it was, at first i thought we had crunched the old geezer in front of us. We just had a little more air flow the rest of the trip.

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AC
Sounds to me like a headache rack could come in handy on the Toyota.This one on my chev saved the window countless times. [Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by badger

250 you say.............

I guess they all failed in Atlanta then. A technician I worked with in the '90's worked for Atlanta Toyota during the 3.0l days and was proud of the fact that he could do head gaskets on 3 4-Runners in 2 days.
[Linked Image]

Bullsh!t,the dealer I use has done recall work on over 10,000 head gaskets since 1997,when the recall was issued. He's had 5 trucks with the bad gaskets.

Your buddy must have been a piss poor mechanic if it took him that long to replace head gaskets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger

250 you say.............

[Linked Image]

Bullsh!t,the dealer I use has done recall work on over 10,000 head gaskets since 1997,when the recall was issued. He's had 5 trucks with the bad gaskets.

Your buddy must have been a piss poor mechanic if it took him that long to replace head gaskets.

Yo!! Dude!!!!!!! You're the one that mentioned the 250 number, are you not? Care to explain that explanation?
As far as piss-poor mechanics are concerned, I'll take someone that does the job properly and methodically rather than a speed merchant with a 50% comeback rate. Seen many of those in the 30 years I've been in this business. Seen many bigmouths like you, too.............

I'll consider the source in the future & won't start a pissing match with you.......

badger

Last edited by badger; 08/02/07.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,429
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.