Print Thread
Hop To
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Any one ever build a small solar charging station ? I’m looking for something to run an inverter to charge my Milwaukee batteries, a battery charger to charge up a trolling battery.
Something affordable in case of a small power outage , got a generator to run my freezers and fridge
I have a small solar battery tender for the little boat now

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Easy to do with a good battery and inverter..These solar generators are selling like hotcakes and all they are,are Lithium NMC batteries(Most of them) with a charge controller/lighter socket and inverter and some other small perks,nothing you can't do on your own build..I have both,a home made and a Jackery..

Jayco

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

If it were me, I'd look into an RV system but it will really depend on your definition of affordable and small.

I can reccomend using this:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/01556...hraJCXCb3B5xvp8af3JXM6c9Q1IaAry5EALw_wcB

Pair it with as many solar panels as you like and as many deep cycle/golf cart batteries as your demand requires.

This system let's you KNOW the state of charge on your batteries and how much life you have left as well as current draw and current going back into the battery bank.

You can expand your system if you feel you need more capacity.

Pair it with any quantity of solar panels you see fit.

100 watt panels are a reasonable size to manage.. but you can go much larger depending on your location and how you want to mount it up.

There are all flavors.... this is just one.

solar panel

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Jackery 1000 running a window AC in my truck camper..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It runs my coffee pot also along with my Instapot..

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen guys put a small solar panel on top of an outboard to keep the battery topped up from bilge pump draining.

If you have a really low amperage panel you don't have to worry about over charging (it just works like a trickle charger)

If you go with more juice then you need some sort of charge management brain.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.solar-electric.com/

Lots to chose from. Good company

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A solar controller is necessary to use solar,it regulates the voltage going in and it won't over charge,these solar stations have them built in..I have 200 watts of portable solar because I'm usually in the shade...Works great,charges the battery back up in a couple hours of sun...No generator needed..

Jayco👍

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a 200 watt setup for our camp trailer. Home Depot for about $300. We can add up to 2 more 100W panels with the same controller. SOLAR KIT 200W will fully charge our 2 golf cart batteries from 50% in about 2 hrs on a sunny day.

It comes down to 1 thing: the more power you need, the bigger the setup has to be. Each panel in this kit is 31x42" and outputs 100W. This kit comes with 2 panels. You can add more panels or buy a larger kit to start with.
With RV's many people mount them on the roof. That has 2 problems. 1, lying flat they're not at the optimum angle for the highest output. 2, you always have to park in the sun. I'd rather park in the shade. I used some aluminum angle and made a portable stand that holds them at about 45 degrees. I can easily turn them as needed and I made an extra 50' cable so I can set them in the sun away from the trailer.

There are 2 types of controllers. The cheaper one is called a PWM, whatever that means. It'll handle 400W with no problem. The other one is an MPPT. They're more efficient and will handle a larger load but you'll pay a lot more for one. Your choice. This kit comes with a PWM and it works fine for my purposes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Technology has increased.

Get a 400 watt array and an EcoFlo Delta1300

https://ecoflow.com/

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/19/21.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The funny thing is,you'll never get 100 watts out of a 100 watt panel even with a mppt controller..Best I have got is 82 watts for one and 172 for two,and my panels are 23%+ which is higher than the normal 15-18% efficientcy..Cheap panels are not as efficient...

Jayco 👍

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I have seen guys put a small solar panel on top of an outboard to keep the battery topped up from bilge pump draining.

If you have a really low amperage panel you don't have to worry about over charging (it just works like a trickle charger)

If you go with more juice then you need some sort of charge management brain.

+1

A 12v panel of 50-70 watts can be directly hooked to a Group 27 or larger battery. Point the panel towards the sun and it will charge up your batt just like the trickle charger, 2-4 amps. No controller or inverter needed.

Put/bolt some legs on if wanted:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018BLW1R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Accessories:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PTHKMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JA627KU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300Watt-Inverter-Modified-Adapter/dp/B07YZ87H4N

Last edited by Bend; 02/19/21.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Portable panels have there advantages especially in the mountains...Understanding solar as I do now,I would never hook a panel to a battery without a controller unless it was an emergency..There as cheap as $15 on Amazon..Cheap insurance not to fry your battery..

Jayco

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,879
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.