Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had good luck with PSA kits on a poverty pony (Anderson) lower for cheaper builds. For a little more money I like Aero M4E1 stuff.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by JD_MT
I have built several ARs with PSA parts and can vouch for their quality. It is hard to go wrong with most ARs that are produced now if you are plinking or for light use (never field tested a budget AR.) When I was looking for an AR to depend on I looked at Rock River and BCM and ended up buying the BCM. I would say just as good as a Daniel Defense or Colt but without paying for the name.

yep, Im a rock river fan

Got an email today from RRA. $861 several different models, with their 2'stage trigger, chrome only barrel.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Got an email today from RRA. $861 several different models, with their 2'stage trigger, chrome only barrel.[/quote]

local dirt—would you happen which rifles RR was selling for that price?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
The best AR I ever shot is a frankenstein I put together. Bushmaster lower, PSA upper, 20" heavy FN chrome lined 1:7 barrel. It looks like a Colt HBAR. I put 9 shots into 1.25" at 100 yards with iron sights off a bench using 55 gr. bulk Winchester soft points and a max load of 748. Love that gun. I also have a S&W M4gery that is pretty good, and built a few from PSA kits that have been good too. These days it seems like they have the AR platform pretty dialed in. That said, if I were looking for a semi-auto rifle right now, and wanted to buy cheap ammo for it, it would be an AK. The ammo is half the cost of .223. I've had good luck with a Century RAS47.

I take it the 1:7 twist isn't too fast for a 55 grain? The reason I ask, is I ordered a 1:9 upper from a well known manufacturer, but they only had a supply of 1;7 barrels and during the discussion, the tech I spoke with suggested that it might overstabalize a 55gr.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
BCM. Don't buy garbage, or if you like buying junk go for a psa, dpms, or some other janky cheap azz turd.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/20/21.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by stevelyn
The best AR I ever shot is a frankenstein I put together. Bushmaster lower, PSA upper, 20" heavy FN chrome lined 1:7 barrel. It looks like a Colt HBAR. I put 9 shots into 1.25" at 100 yards with iron sights off a bench using 55 gr. bulk Winchester soft points and a max load of 748. Love that gun. I also have a S&W M4gery that is pretty good, and built a few from PSA kits that have been good too. These days it seems like they have the AR platform pretty dialed in. That said, if I were looking for a semi-auto rifle right now, and wanted to buy cheap ammo for it, it would be an AK. The ammo is half the cost of .223. I've had good luck with a Century RAS47.

I take it the 1:7 twist isn't too fast for a 55 grain? The reason I ask, is I ordered a 1:9 upper from a well known manufacturer, but they only had a supply of 1;7 barrels and during the discussion, the tech I spoke with suggested that it might overstabalize a 55gr.

The tech you spoke to was a f ucking retard

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

He a dumb ass.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have had great luck with this particular barrel with 55 grainers. In fact, just for giggles I put some 40 gr. ballistic tips through it and they actually did pretty well, sub 2 MOA. I tried some 69 gr. SMKs and they didn't do as well. Funny how sometimes a barrel doesn't behave like you think it should. The only real way to tell how a particular barrel shoots is to shoot it. I would take the 1:7 barrel and see how it shoots. Changing out the barrel on an AR is ridiculously easy with a few simple tools.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smike308

Got an email today from RRA. $861 several different models, with their 2'stage trigger, chrome only barrel.

local dirt—would you happen which rifles RR was selling for that price?[/quote]

smike308,

Sure. Here's the link. Why I don't clear my Trash folder too often. Lol.

The email was actually from KyGun. The $861 price was from memory, but they're all right around there up and down.

https://images.kygunco.com/Snowflake_Meltdown/v1/Snowflake-Meltdown.html

While I don't own a Rock River, it's one manufacturer I would buy guns from. Just don't trust some of these companies throwing guns out to the public with constant failures reported.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

That tech is a clown. Where TH did he get that?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And KYG does easy layaway. Yahoo.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Went with the S&W M&P Sport ii.
Where’s the best place to order a few magazines and which kind is recommended?
Last time i shot an AR regularly I was in an giant, hot sweaty ass sandbox. Well I guess technically that one was an M4.
Don’t know if people snowed in, froze out or what but when I left I was the only customer in the store. Side roads are still pretty slick. I’m a mile from main road,10-15 miles would be better. Get to the main road it’s pretty good. It’s all going to melt first of the week anyway.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 02/20/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nollij
Ruger AR556. Hasn't missed a beat. Yet.

Not surprisingly, my Ruger AR had to go back to Ruger before it would work properly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

Isn’t the Ruger basically their own proprietary version?

They made an auto 223 that was a one-off design, but when it didn't sell, they went with the AR model. Can't for the life of me remember what the model designation was.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I've had good luck with PSA kits on a poverty pony (Anderson) lower for cheaper builds. For a little more money I like Aero M4E1 stuff.

Bb

My LGS dealt in Aero products after Armalite passed through several hands and he stopped carrying them. Every component I have from Aero fits and works perfectly. I know it does not say Colt or FN on them but I'm not sure I could get a better product spending twice as much money. I also have 2 Ballistic Advantage barrels and they are as functional as any barrel I have ever owned. One is nitrided and one is stainless steel. I assembled most of my rifles from parts.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I just looked on GunBroker and saw a DPMS Oracle for $625, but that's the starting bid, with no "Buy Now" option and it WILL sell for higher. I would guess you'll pay a grand for one. There were several others including a used one for nearly $700 with two days left and 54 bids already. I don't think I saw a buy now on any of them.

The Sportical is their other budget gun but with sights. The Oracle will have to be scoped or have sights put on it as it is the "optics ready" type. Be advised.

Nothing wrong with DPMS. I don't know what Smith and Wesson M&P's are going for. I bought my Oracle several years back when Walmart jumped into the AR business. I was so astounded to see that pussified outfit selling AR's that I had to buy one there. Soon afterwards, I spied a Smith for not much more and was pissed I'd bought the DPMS instead of the Smith. They're honestly about the same level though. So I bought a Smith too and have both. Either is a passable weapon IMO, but if you go on the AR page here, you'll get some posters who think not. So again, be forewarned. Also, Smith's basic MP15 is "optics ready" also. You'll pay a bit more if you don't want to fool with buying and installing sights on it.

These two are what I'd be looking at in normal times if I wanted a budget AR that I didn't have to build. These aren't normal times though and you'll probably have to take what you can get. I'd be prepared to spend at least $1000.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've got an Oracle and have had zero problems with it, for two or three years now, and it's been 100%. Then again, I haven't shot it hard, either. It shoots well enough, a heckuva lot better than the M16A1s we had when I was in the Army, anyway. I can source MagPul magazines locally for 10.99, so I'm not fussing about it in any way. I had a couple thousand rounds of ammo loaded for prairie dogging, other than re-seating some bullets a fuzz deeper, all that ammo I had loaded for boltguns has worked perfectly in it without issue.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Not surprisingly, my Ruger AR had to go back to Ruger before it would work properly.

Yeah, but you couldn't buy an anvil without having to send it back to get it to work right.................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,243
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.