Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm looking at building in the next couple of years on my property.
As of now I'm thinking solar for 90% of the days, back up generator on propane for the other dreary days and a wood stove.
The property would be 100% off grid as it will have well for water and septic system.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Automatic transfer switch on the Generac. We lose power for less than 15 seconds. My wife says “the power went out? I didn’t even notice”. Then she says “that’s the best money we ever spent!” No argument from me, there.

I bought mine for hurricanes. Never thought power would be out over 60 hours in winter. I’m thinking money well spent. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You need a transfer switch, be it auto or manual. That way nothing gets back fed or doubled. As said here, a separate panel that will pick up your existing house wiring of the circuits you want to power, then new wiring to the transfer switch then back to your main panel. There is never enough slack in house wiring to much with it, so placing this second panel where you can get those circuits into it is a common thing to do. Then an outside connection to the transfer switch from your generator, and you're good to go. I have 2 generators, but neither is big enough to power the whole house, but I can be comfortable and not lose anything.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
As of now I'm thinking solar for 90% of the days, back up generator on propane for the other dreary days and a wood stove.
The property would be 100% off grid as it will have well for water and septic system.

Just be advised that a backup generator drinks propane like a sailor drinks beer...you'll want plenty of storage.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Neighbor temporarily powered his natural gas central furnace blower and thermostat allowing him to heat their whole house for most of 11 days via a female receptacle wired into the 120v on/off switch usually located next to furnace and an extension cord with two male plugs -- one male end plugged into one of the generator output receptacles and the other male end into the female receptacle at furnace on/off switch.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

I've been looking into this since my backup will be a small 120v inverter gen set.

There are single outlet transfer switches that piggyback along side the power cutoff switch on your gas furnace. Home Depot sells one version so I have to imagine they meet code, and are UL listed.

Not cheap at $90 but it appears to be an easy DIY for even a minimally skilled home handyman.

The Home Depot one is called a Reliance Controls Furnace Transfer Switch, but I found some others online, along with instructions to build your own. It's a box with an inlet plug, a double pole double throw switch, and some wire to connect it when you get down to brass tacks. The ones they sell have a fuse (your gen set is already fused) and an idiot light (I bet you already know if the genny is running). But of course if you build one and burn your house down good luck.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Back when I was in the meter department of the local electric company, I was at a house in a rural area between Salem and Lisbon, Ohio. I got talking with the owner and showed me how he wired up his house to use his generator.
He used two 20 amp three way switches to hook up his furnace and refrigerator circuits. That isolated his generator from back feeding out onto the power system.
He put a receptacle outside to plug his generator into then ran the black ( hot ) wire down to the 3-way switch. He then cut the wire from the breaker box and put the breaker box side wire to the other side of the switch and the remaining black wire of the furnace/refrigerator circuit onto the common screw of the switch.
Flip the switch one way you're on the electric company. Switch it the other way and you're on the generator. Don't forget to mark the switch.
Maybe someday if I get a generator I might do the same.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have the REc installed switch.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Just be advised that a backup generator drinks propane like a sailor drinks beer...you'll want plenty of storage.

I know consumption has tons of factors based on load, generator size etc
What would be a fair daily consumption rate be?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our 7000W consumes about a gallon of propane an hour at about 50% load.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The easiest way to wire a generator into a home and in less than 5 minutes:

http://www.generlink.com/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio
Back when I was in the meter department of the local electric company, I was at a house in a rural area between Salem and Lisbon, Ohio. I got talking with the owner and showed me how he wired up his house to use his generator.
He used two 20 amp three way switches to hook up his furnace and refrigerator circuits. That isolated his generator from back feeding out onto the power system.
He put a receptacle outside to plug his generator into then ran the black ( hot ) wire down to the 3-way switch. He then cut the wire from the breaker box and put the breaker box side wire to the other side of the switch and the remaining black wire of the furnace/refrigerator circuit onto the common screw of the switch.
Flip the switch one way you're on the electric company. Switch it the other way and you're on the generator. Don't forget to mark the switch.

SMFH.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Okay....I see what you are saying now.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've done a quick read of some of his post history. LOL.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Most panel manufacturers make an interlock kit for their panels like the picture above in one of the posts and they aren’t very expensive.

It’s a metal plate that slides and only allows either main or generator breaker to be on, not both.

Take a picture of your panel and I can get you a part number on an interlock kit that fits your panel.

Last edited by Auger01; 02/20/21.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

That’s one of the reasons why I am seriously considering a 13.5kw 3 cylinder Perkins diesel -w- a 100 gallon sub-base tank and an ATS. I know ... a LOT more money .... but buy once - cry once.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Should consider installing as large of a propane tank as you can afford.
Running all your big demand items on propane makes alternative power such as solar more realistic.

Propane is about the only fuel source that will remain stable long term, I only get filled once a year, the propane guy can't even get to my place in the winter.

Running power generation on gas or diesel requires having clean, water free fuel. Good luck with that if you're storing long term.
Most large commercial buildings that require backup power generation run big diesels, they also have a service that shows up and pumps their stored fuel through a centrifuge on occasion to remove accumulated water.

Since you should be cooking, heating your water and drying your clothes and whatever else you can do with propane while living off grid, having enough on hand to occasionally run a backup generator shouldn't really be a problem.

Sizing is everything.

There will be a learning curve you'll get beyond after your first winter living off grid if you're in cold, heavy snow country.

Keeping a couple full 100 pound propane tanks stashed can be helpful.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had a smaller gas powered genset during the 04/05 hurricane season which wouldn't power the whole house and it sucked having no A/C in SW FLA for a week.I now have a 40KW genset on propane with enough fuel for 7 days before I need a refill---There is a way to safely wire a genset to your home yourself,if you have some basic electrical skills,as a contractor I was comfortable with my skill to do it myself.I also took advantage of the propane to switch to an instant hot propane water heater which cuts down on the electric load significantly

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio

SMFH.

An electrician friend of mine did the same thing in his house in Youngstown, His sister lives between Salem and Lisbon. You may have been at her house.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by akasparky

Should consider installing as large of a propane tank as you can afford.
Running all your big demand items on propane makes alternative power such as solar more realistic.

Propane is about the only fuel source that will remain stable long term, I only get filled once a year, the propanej guy can't even get to my place in the winter.

Running power generation on gas or diesel requires having clean, water free fuel. Good luck with that if you're storing long term.
Most large commercial buildings that require backup power generation run big diesels, they also have a service that shows up and pumps their stored fuel through a centrifuge on occasion to remove accumulated water.

Since you should be cooking, heating your water and drying your clothes and whatever else you can do with propane while living off grid, having enough on hand to occasionally run a backup generator shouldn't really be a problem.

Sizing is everything.

There will be a learning curve you'll get beyond after your first winter living off grid if you're in cold, heavy snow country.

Keeping a couple full 100 pound propane tanks stashed can be helpful.

I converted my Miller welder/generator to run on liquid withdrawal propane so it can run on forklift tanks. I have a couple dozen. I've also got a 100lb tank setup for both liquid and vapor withdrawal.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.