Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by uncle joe

An electrician friend of mine did the same thing in his house in Youngstown, His sister lives between Salem and Lisbon. You may have been at her house.

Your electrician friend obliviously dosen't understand the function of a neutral circuit in basic home electrical system.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston

I converted my Miller welder/generator to run on liquid withdrawal propane so it can run on forklift tanks. I have a couple dozen. I've also got a 100lb tank setup for both liquid and vapor withdrawal.

Smart, I like multi use equipment.

The Johndeere pictured earlier spinning the generator was pretty cool, not so sure how he regulates it to keep his frequency correct though.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by devnull
The easiest way to wire a generator into a home and in less than 5 minutes:

http://www.generlink.com/

These are the recommended transfer switch of our local power company. They sell and install the apadtor on the meter. Comes with the cord to connect to your generator. You tell them what connector you need and how long of a cord. About $700. Have one coming next week. Tried the 10 circuit sub panel switch on a previous house but prefer being able to run any switch on your panel. One thing to be careful about is that you do have to choose which circuits to run concurrently so you don't overload the generator.

God Bless America
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

simple X/fer switch like this

Paid an electrician right at $300 to install year or so ago

Gen/inverter is the expensive part

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the transfer switch ain't for YOU ...its for the lineman....hit the power at the meter, then hook up your suicide cord wink

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

as above X/fer switch-----similar to what I have

It slides & locks on inside panel

Only allows one main breaker at a time to be in use

Either the power company main or your Gen/inverter main

Can not back feed

[Linked Image from i.stack.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ftbt
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Just be advised that a backup generator drinks propane like a sailor drinks beer...you'll want plenty of storage.

That’s one of the reasons why I am seriously considering a 13.5kw 3 cylinder Perkins diesel -w- a 100 gallon sub-base tank and an ATS. I know ... a LOT more money .... but buy once - cry once.

Diesels aren't without there own issues: winter gelling of filters and fuel, algae in the fuel and filters, water/condensation in the fuel and as you mentioned the upfront cost. Get a 500 gallon LP tank and the gas will never go bad and you won't need to worry about adding additives to the DF, gelling fuel, etc. I looked at getting a diesel and stuck with a 12kW LP-fired home generator (23hp) and ATS.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by sackett
Just be advised that a backup generator drinks propane like a sailor drinks beer...you'll want plenty of storage.

That’s one of the reasons why I am seriously considering a 13.5kw 3 cylinder Perkins diesel -w- a 100 gallon sub-base tank and an ATS. I know ... a LOT more money .... but buy once - cry once.

Diesels aren't without there own issues: winter gelling of filters and fuel, algae in the fuel and filters, water/condensation in the fuel and as you mentioned the upfront cost. Get a 500 gallon LP tank and the gas will never go bad and you won't need to worry about adding additives to the DF, gelling fuel, etc. I looked at getting a diesel and stuck with a 12kW LP-fired home generator (23hp) and ATS.

All that is true. However, I’ve had diesel boats, so I know a bit about fuel biocides, stabilizers, cetane boosters and fuel polishing. Additives are cheap and you can either build (not expensive at all) or buy a portable diesel fuel polishing system. Very common on diesel boats. In addition, the diesel generator I am looking at has 3 Racor in line filters/water separators. The generator will be housed in a dedicated, insulated generator shed. I already have 250 gallons worth of propane tanks for my house. I would have to double that ... and then some ... to have a sufficient cushion to run the generator + the propane appliances and heat in the house .... you can just hear the sucking sound. Unless they are buried, propane tanks can only be filled to roughly 80%, so that 500 gallon tank only has about 400 gallons available. I priced the cost for a 1,000 gallon buried propane tank (which requires cathodic protection where I live) and it was over $3,000.00! Worse case scenario, if the diesel starts to get old, I’ll just cycle it through my old Mercedes 300d.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This guy has some good insight on the topic at hand....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtRxcb-cmA

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lived a pretty normal style of life generating my own power.
I had a 50KW with a 6 cylinder and a 25 KW with a 4 cylinder.

I ran them about 12 to 16 hours a day.
I used the 25KW as a backup when I needed to do general maintenance or repairs on the 50KW.

Only thing I had for cleaning my diesel was Racors. I went through them pretty quick. Made a little hand pump primer system to get things rolling again smoothly after I'd change out a set of Racors.

If I was setting up like that again I'd put those generators a good 200ft plus away from the house, maybe even a sound proofing earth berm by the house side of the generator shed.

I'd never use that much generated power again. I've learned to curb my needs and enjoy tinkering with alternative options.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

The 'inverter' portion the the generator is important

not some POS Gen from Northern Tool or HF

Buy once/cry once

That means Honda...Yamaha

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sackett

This is also what I use.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 450yukon, 12 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,535
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.