Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Unrelated but noteworthy. Year or two ago I bought and used a yeast called... turbo yeast.

Picture on the package shows a Moonshiners still.

Messed around with this yeast trying to ferment different stuff.

Hell, I think this stuff could ferment wet concrete.

But just because it can doesn't make it any good.

I suspect it's a heck of a product if a man was going to take a couple of bushels of peaches... ferment them... then distill.

Not a product I plan to use again... unless I witness a boating accident and recover a still at the bottom of the pond.

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/22/21. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by slumlord
Fire some silver bullets into your old lady and then she gets on WIC, you get the Juicy Juice and make homemade wine with that. It’s 100% juice.

Hell yeah...

I took a custodial job at the elementary school just to collect 780 juicy juice boxes (rolling average) at the end of each day.

Never messed with the open ones.

Those rotten little kindergarten ingrates that wouldn't even open the juice... but the school threw away... that was my honey pot.

Dumpster diving for 14 days (before resigning my custodial commission) allowed me to fill our 3 chest freezers with juicy juice boxes.

We Are In Like Flint for the rest of their lives... Juicy Juice Jack.

This is not a true story. But it could be if I lived in Tennessee.

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/22/21. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know us little ingrate shîts used to have orange fights after lunch in the Ag building. Leave a welt on a man for sure.

All fun till one bout took the old man’s coffee cup out of his hand.

LOL

no more orange fights. Had to either watch RoboCop, Predator or take a nap on one of the vice tables in the wood shop.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Unrelated but noteworthy. Year or two ago I bought and used a yeast called... turbo yeast.
That [bleep] for making E85, not anything you'd drink.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Awfully hard to make it taste better than store bought though

I strongly disagree. With the exception of a few of our microbrews and some European brands, one can easily generate beer far superior to the typical off the shelf crap sold in this country. Most consumers simply don't know better.

The tough part for me is proper ageing. One might have to wait a year or more for a doppelbock or stout to come around. Something akin to a Bud Light or Pale Ale can be generated in a week.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/22/21.

1Minute
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
Awfully hard to make it taste better than store bought though

I strongly disagree. With the exception of a few of our microbrews and some European brands, one can easily generate beer far superior to the typical off the shelf crap sold in this country. Most consumers simply don't know better.

The tough part for me is proper ageing. One might have to wait a year or more for a doppelbock or stout to come around. Something akin to a Bud Light or Pale Ale can be generated in a week.

ya i agree. i would put my homebrew up against any micro. the only exception is the really hoppy ones. at my scale, its tough to get that much hop character that will stick around more than a few weeks. i can get a keg of ipa that tastes perfect after 10 days. by 3 weeks its already going downhill. and you can easily spend 15-20 bucks a batch on hops to get that character. thats why i stick to stouts and porters. they age well. they also taste great young. i cracked my american stout last weekend after it has been in the bottle for 3 weeks and it was perfect. it was all i could do not to drink it all. it will continue to change for months and still be great this time next year. i know because i was drinking some of last years from the same recipe. tasted different but still delicious.

my barley wine is too hot for about 3-4 months and then really starts to improve. i drank my last one i made in 2016 last fall and it was still really good. lot dryer and mellower but still good. the imperial stouts hit their stride at about 6 months and improve indefinitely. i'm sitting here with a fermenter of irish stout perking away right now. its really kicking and the whole living room smells like malty c02. temp has went from 63 this morning to 67. might need to stick it out on the porch tonight to keep it from getting too hot. S04 is a hot yeast.

about the only thing that compares to homebrewing is bbq'ing. i love doing both and consuming both at the same sitting. summer parties at my camp are a popular event.

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Got tired of brewing in my garage, so I built a brewery...

https://barrowbrewing.com/

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
nice. what system did you get?

My diploma is a DD214
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
been brewing (all grain) for 5-7 years now. started it with my son when he did so in college. I brew mainly high percentage stouts. Typically 8-13%. It is nice to be able to adjust your recipe to add (or subtract) certain flavor profiles. I only keg, bottles are waaaaay too much work (for me). The majority of my brewing is stouts, as I can buy the light or medium beers fairly cheaply nearby. I will do an occasional Saison for the friends and their girlfriends that prefer a lighter beer. My darker beers end up being about $1 per 16 oz glass. Much cheaper then the typical stout which can easily run $5-10 per bottle. Once I acquired the tank, corny kegs, and garage fridge, it has become relatively easy to maintain a decent supply on hand. At this age, calories seem to matter more. If I want to drink a few beers, It is nice to pour a solid draft of tasty, high point beer.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,194
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.