Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am getting close to completing my new gun vault. Interior dimensions are 8' high, with a 10'x12' foot print, and is made from poured concrete. Its got lots of security features, which won't be mentioned. I understand these things are not perfect, but only intended to buy time for the police to show up. Anyway . . . .

I am now considering how to build out the interior to hold myriad shotguns, rifles, and hand guns. I am not looking for super fancy. I just want good flexibility, reasonable costs, relatively easy to install, and something that looks reasonably nice.

I am liking the modular wall/shelf designs such as Tacticalwall ( https://tacticalwalls.com/ ) (an HDPE plastic slatwall design), or a Gridwall (https://www.gridwall.com/) (a wire grid panel). I've also seen metal modular wall panels such as Gallowtech ( https://www.gallowtech.com/ ), but these metal designs are very expensive considering how much surface area I need to cover. Gridwall is probably the cheapest, but is not firearm specific, and I am wondering how much flex there will be in the wire grid panels once loaded with a bunch of guns. Tacticalwall looks like a good compromise, but I am little leery of the HDPE plastic tearing out under load.

Anyone got any experience to share, good and bad, for storing/displaying numerous firearms on concrete walls?

Thanks!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope it has a drain and electric so you can put in a dehumidifier.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Colorado has very low humidity, typically around 20%, but it is indeed fully equipped.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the same idea. I have a 10 x 18 foot hot tube patio out side my bedroom door and I want to construct a tornado proof room with HVAC, and a wet bar. Plan to line the walls with the rifles, so I can see them and handle them. My wife is all for it. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If used as a storm shelter also I highly recommend the vault door swing in so when the building collapses you will be able to open the door and dig yourself out of there hopefully.

Last edited by VaHunter; 03/05/21.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't have any suggestions shin, but that is cool! Hope it comes out nice for you.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Shinbone, I'm just jealous! Conjuring such... By the time getting all the permits, approvals sign offs, I'd probably be pushin up daisies. You're living my nice dream! smile smile smile
Have fun, good luck!
Best & Stay Safe too!
John

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Always dreamed of a gun vault. Jealous!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No experience but I would shy away from the metal systems. Once the coating is worn off they would be gun scratchers. The tacticalwall looks pretty neat, I am sure with enough fasteners if would be secure. Mount verticals with expansion bolts into the concrete.

I am sure you know this but spray everything inside with a good concrete sealer or gunite for moisture control and insulate about as much as you would for a house R15 or better maybe more in the ceiling. E foam (poly iso?) will have the highest R value for thickness. There are spray on floor finishes like those used in garages that would stop sweating through the floor, epoxy or vinyl.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 40 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,004
Posts18,520,527
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.