Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Got an older original Browning A-Bolt in 25-06 that has a feeding issue with 120gr bullets. The 2nd and sometimes the 4th rounds that are stripped from the magazine, jam into the back of the chamber. Gun was sent to a Factory Authorized Browning repair center here in Kentucky. He tried gun with up to 117gr bullets and had no problem so they sent me back the gun. Was told that they manipulated the magazine feed lips but as soon as I un-boxed the rifle I tried my handloads again and they were doing the exact same thing as when I sent it in. I instantly called and talked to the gunsmith who told me that it must have something to do with my handloads and to try some factory to see if they worked. I had some 120gr factory Remington Core-lokt ammo that did the same thing so I instantly boxed gun back up and mailed it back to them. Got a call just a bit ago from the gunsmith and he said there is nothing he could do with it. I never had the issue with the factory magazine but I misplaced it and ordered a new one from Midwest Gunworks. The new mag is the problem. Do yall know if there is anybody that might be able to make the mag work or anything else to try? It will work with other 25-06 rounds with lighter bullets but my handloads are consistent 1/2" and would really like to be able to use them, not to mention that I probably have 150 loaded up already.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If it’s 2nd and 4th it’s left side of the magazine?

Try taking an old credit card and cutting a strip about half the width of a postage stamp and stick that between the magazine body and the plastic insert on the side that won’t feed. Had to do that on a Browning WSSM magazine. Feeds flawlessly now.

I don’t have a picture of what I mean, but I’ll try to get one later this evening.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Stick the shim between the metal body and the plastic insert where the red line is. The shoulder on the plastic insert should kick the cartridge up faster.

Last edited by Petro; 03/04/21.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The rifle I have is an original A-Bolt. Tried some different grain bullets this evening and all of them are doing the same thing. My rifle feeds the first from the left side of mag, second from right side, ejection port side on right hand bolt gun. Like I mentioned above, it happens every time on the 2nd and occasionally on the 4th.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
After trying gun today it was obvious that the gunsmith I sent rifle to did nothing but charge me 85.00 dollars and another 80 for shipping both times. He said he had manipulated the mag feed lips but I see no evidence of that. He got it back and called me and said he could not do anything with it so he sent it back.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Can you shim your magazine like I illustrated? I’m not familiar with theA Bolt I mags.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't offer a solution, but this was an issue with the original A-bolts; no?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would take the action out of the stock and put it back...torque the screws to factory spec and see if that helps. Sometimes I have seen that help if having a feeding problem.

O.B.Wallace
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Do you know what factory specs are?
This is a wood stock gun. I noticed a metal shim when I took gun apart. Was not exactly sure where shim went but currently have it placed on top of trigger before putting stock back on? Was not sure where it came from originally or what it's for exactly. Wonder if putting it under rear of bottom metal/mag, rear action screw, would give it enough nose up to feed?

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
Do you know what factory specs are?
This is a wood stock gun. I noticed a metal shim when I took gun apart. Was not exactly sure where shim went but currently have it placed on top of trigger before putting stock back on? Was not sure where it came from originally or what it's for exactly. Wonder if putting it under rear of bottom metal/mag, rear action screw, would give it enough nose up to feed?

HeavyBarrel

Is the shim you are referring to Part #190 on this parts diagram? A-bolt shotgun parts diagram The diagram shows the placement and orientation.

I don't know why it appears only on the diagram for the A-bolt shotgun, but it's there on my Miroku M-Bolt .270. When/if I get around to pillar bedding it I haven't decided if I'll leave it in or out. Seems to act more like a spring washer than anything else.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I will disassemble the gun tomorrow evening. Best of my recollection it was more of a thin washer, not really a spring type washer? I really don't know?? I actually had just remembered the washer/shim. I could be wrong but if it is a shim maybe by placing it between the bottom metal and stock, in rear of bottom metal, it may make the rear of the mag drop slightly, making the bullet nose up in front which is what it seems to need to feed properly?? I sure hope my problem is that simple???

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The same shim is in my 243 Micro Hunter.

I have the torque specs at home. If I can remember, I'll post them this evening.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The shim was in correct location. Also when I got off work today rhe mailman had dropped off a 270 mag I had bought from a member here that was trying to help me out. The 270 mag does exactly the same. That makes a total of 3 different mags I have tried. All doing exact same thing.

Was contacted by a really nice gentleman today that offered to give it a look. Will report back on if he can do anything with it.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No help, but my FIL had one in 243. Did the same thing. Hit the end of the barrel without being sent into the chamber. He never got it solved either.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The gentleman/gunsmith offered to look at gun and if he can not fix it he said no charge. That is the kind of good people that I like to do business with. Will keep yall informed on outcome. Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

G. Washington

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.