Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
First the good news: I'm getting ready for my first Cape Buffalo hunt which will take place in August of '08. I'll be using a Ruger 77 in 416 Rigby with a Bushnell 3200 1.75 x 6 scope in Warne QD rings. I just got back from the range, and I shot 3 shot groups, with 3 different loads. Load 1 was loaded by a friend who does all of my reloading, and used the 410 grain Woodleigh Solid. Load 2 was Norma Factory Ammo using the 400 grain Swift A-frame, and load 3 was the Federal Factory load using the 400 grain Barnes TSX. All 9 shots were in one ragged hole that measured 1.1 inch, top to bottom, and 3/8 inch side to side. The solids all hit in the middle, the A-frames at the top of the group, and the TSXs on the bottom. All shots were off the bench, using Cabela's version of the lead sled, with a 25 pound bag of shot sitting on it. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Now the bad news: after testing for load accuracy, I decided to shoot a few rounds off hand, standing. I only fired 3 shots off hand, because on the second and third shots, I got wacked between the eyes with the scope. Fortunately, no blood was spilled, probably because the scope has a hard rubber ring around the rear of the tube, but I look like I got stung by a wasp - all swollen, and puffed up. I originally wanted to use a Leupold 1.75 x 6 x 32 scope, but it wouldn't fit in the rings. I need to find a different scope, because I'm afraid if I continue to use the Bushnell, I'll develope a nasty flinch. Any suggestions on what scope I should look at that will give me the eye relief I need?

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Leupold 1.5-5x or the 1-4x or if you can live with fixed power the 2.5x.
I've had all 3 on various RSMs in 416. They all had enough eye relief for me.

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll second the Leupold 1.5-5 for DGR's with a magnum length action. It seems to be the only option as far as most are concerned.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
`I bought the Zeiss conquest 1.8-5 on the same rifle it is long enough to fit the rings and has 4" of eye relief. All the scopes other than straight tubes need offset bases.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I responded in the Africa forum...Leupold 1.5X5X20...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I responded in the Africa forum...Leupold 1.5X5X20...jorge

Thanks. I sent you a PM.

S
S
on my 458 lott i use a 1.5 x 5 leupold but you can also go for a scout scope with the scout forward mount no chance of being kissed ,ive seen a few of those on hannible rifles shooting 577 t rex and even 375s m next rig will probably have that system on them,by hte way if you do get kissed and she bleeds you i used crazy glue to close it up and you cant see a mark

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I honestly believe that everything in the world can be fixed with crazy glue and duct tape. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Well, as ol' Red Green says, "Spare the duct tape, spoil the job."

http://www.redgreen.com/

-Bob F. grin grin grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikeh416Rigby
I need to find a different scope, because I'm afraid if I continue to use the Bushnell, I'll develope a nasty flinch. Any suggestions on what scope I should look at that will give me the eye relief I need?

Buy a 3X Leupold, send it back to the factory to be checked out, and you'll never go back to anything else. (And while you're at it, tell them you'd really like a new FX-II 3X. grin)

If you can find one with the post-and-duplex reticle, like the one on my 404 Jeffery, you will really be set up.
[Linked Image]

I liked the setup, anyway...

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or use the iron sights. That's what I have mostly used on my .416 Rigby, and if you are used to irons they work great on big, ugly wild cattle.

His Other Brother Darrell

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Truth. I could certainly, at 18 steps, have shot that buff with the CZ issue irons.

the other brother daril...

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and ideas. I bought a Leupold 1.5 x 5, illuminated reticle, with a 30mm tube. I got rid of the Warne QD rings, and mounted it in Leupold Bases. This setup gives me a full 5 inches of eye relief. I took the rifle to the range this afternoon, and I must say that I'm very happy with the outcome. I can get my fat face down on the stock, and the rifle is much more comfortable to shoot now. I fired two, three shot groups after resighting, and 6 shots were in one ragged hole at 75 yards. I have the rifle hitting 1 inch high at that range.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (29aholic, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 348srfun, 44 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,973
Posts18,519,820
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.