Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I have an old mossberg 500 that I fixed up for turkey hunting. I put a vortex 1x scope on it and for some reason (likely in my head) everything seems farther away when looking through it. Thought about replacing it with the scope mentioned in the title and just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the scope, especially under heavier recoil. As far as holding zero goes, if the 1x crossfire is doing its job, not sure why the 1-4 wouldn’t do the same. Any info is much appreciated!

Other scope suggestions for turkey hunting are also welcome!

GB1

U
U
I have the 2-7x32 scout version and it’s taken about 15 rounds of 45-70 so far and still holding strong.

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the info! I feel if it can hold up to the 45-70 it should be ok on a shotgun

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back when only 1x was allowed on ML's in WI, I had a Nikon 1x scope, and I experienced the same phenomenon of things looking smaller with it. Thankfully they dropped that requirement some time back.

As far as the Vortex holding zero, I personally wouldn't put a whole lot of trust in it. Perhaps it's a good fit for a turkey gun, where shots are close and pellets are many, so a high level of precision isn't required in the first place. Further, round count would be pretty low and even if it gets shot loose, the consequence is only a missed turkey.

I had a Viper on a varmint rig briefly; I never did warm up to the scope for a number of reasons, one of them being inconsistent tracking, and then a few buddies had trouble with a number of Vortex scopes from different lines loosing zero and /or having wandering zero, so I moved on from it and I haven't bought another Vortex. This was a while ago, not real long after they started offering rifle scopes, so maybe they've tightened up their qc, testing, or suppliers on the lower lines by now?

Around here, not far from the shadow of their HQ, there's a saying that Vortex has the best warranty you'll surely use. I hear good things about the company and about some of the Razor line, but my feeling on the Razors so far is that you can get into other comparable LOW scopes, such as the LRTS, LRHS, SWFA HD, and others, for less money. They sell a lot of scopes and they're still in business, so others must've had better experiences with them.

Last edited by Starbuck; 03/09/21.
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the reply starbuck. I have owned several vortex scopes and the only remaining on is the 1x scope. I never really had any issues with them other than a diamond back with crooked reticle which they fixed and a broken viper (caused by me) which they replaced. I just decided to sell them and upgrade a bit. Reviews on the 1-4 seem good but they are all on low recoil rifles.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've had my share of Vipers give up

This was back before they mandated 18in/lb max torque on rings. I have 2 Razors and 2 red dots. All f good so far. Just put an LHT on an 8.5# 340 Weatherby. If this holds up, not worried about much else. The Venom holds good on the turkey gun

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Did they say over tightening caused the failure? My brother uses a venom on his 3.5” turkey gun and has zero issues after 2 seasons. Pretty nice setup for the money. Thanks for the reply!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My crossfire II 2X7X32 lost zero...then wouldn't move internally after 16 shots on a Winchester model 100 in 308. No problem getting it replaced and sent it new in it's box down the ebay trail.

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the info guys. I abandon the vortex idea and went with a leupold 1.5-4x20 VX Freedom. Seems to be some pretty good reviews, for sure better reviews than the vortex. I’ll let you all know how it works out.

Last edited by shelton573; 03/11/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shelton573
Thanks for the info guys. I abandon the vortex idea and went with a leupold 1.5-4x20 VX Freedom. Seems to be some pretty good reviews, for sure better reviews than the vortex. I’ll let you all know how it works out.

Try to make sure you compare equal lines. Both companies make a lot of product lines at very different price points.
Leupold has lost heavy market share to Vortex, which is now the biggest sports optics company. Leupold reviews have caused them LOTS of grief. All sports optic companies would love to have Vortex's growth.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BTW, the Leupold Freedom line is junk, IMO&E.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Well I guess we will see if you are right I reckon

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,204
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.