Print Thread
Hop To
T
trplem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Does anyone offer it as a factory option for private sale trucks?I think it would make sense for those of us that can park near our hunting areas. Plus, I'm sure there are at least three other people out there with color preferences as deranged as my own grin

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in college, a friend ordered a Camero in orange with a black interior. It took him all of 2 weeks to be so sick of it that he couldn't stand to look at it. Orange gets very old very fast.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
trplem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Are you talking about the hugger orange with the wide black stripes? I always thought that looked good on the first gen Camaro, awful on the second, third and fourth gen. Orange is, at least to me, one of those colors that only looks good on certain vehicles. Trucks, again, to me, usually look really good in orange. Most cars in orange leave me cold. As an aside, if you get in to Boise, stop by the animal shelter and say hi to my sister. She'll be the one in a lab coat that looks like she just got out of college.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a truck, but my friend Jack chose caltrans orange for the streamliner we built together.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think it had black stripes. It was just plain hunter orange, every square inch of it. UUUUUgly. It was nearly 40 years ago, so my memory might be lacking, but I think it was a special order, not a stock color.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It was called Omaha Orange and the Arkansas Highway Department quit it around twenty years ago. They went to solid white because it was a lot cheaper. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There's still quite a few municpalities that use Omahz Orange up here as well as utilities compnaies. Not a color I'd have for a private vehicle. It does get old fast. besides, if buying so one can find thier truck while hunting, I'd think a decent GPS would be a bit better, heck some good old fashioned directional/maps skills would be better. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Schneider orange would kill me - make the truck go slow...

Me

T
trplem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
It's not really a matter of finding the truck, its making it a bit more visible. Dents and dings don't bother me-bullet holes do frown I'd say part of the fun of having a big orange truck, for me, would be its relative rarity. Around here (NE WI), most municipalities have gone to either white or silver birch matallic. As my current truck is the later color, I see myself coming and going quite a bit.

T
trplem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Yep, that sounds like hugger orange to me. I agree with you that solid orange would be a bit much. it needs either the black or white stripes to look "right". A friends dad sold his white stripe '67 a couple of years back. I always thought it was an awfully sharp looking ride.

IC B3

T
trplem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
That is one sweet looking piece of machinery. Is the photo taken at the Bonneville flats? one more question: any chance of some larger photos, plus some specs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes that photo was taken at Bonneville. It's a streamliner we built together in 1993-94. It's 28' long, 24" wide and as I recall 28" high. I believe he holds most all the flathead records, and ran 304 mph w/ a naturally aspirated 300 cu in small block. I think we could hit 400 mph with a turbo diesel.

Google Nebulous Theorem III and you'll be able to find some more pics.

T
trplem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks much for the info. I've been a fan of streamliners for a fair number of years now. I think it goes back to finding a big old stack of '50s era Hot Rod magazines at a garage sale when i was around ten. They just seemed so much cooler than all those old cars in the other articles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Streamliners are a natural category for Jack to run in. Paraphrasing him, running in classes restricted by body styles means the only way to go fast is to outspend the competition on hp. Since he's a guy of modest means, his competitive edge is in his creativity.

Here are a few more links.

http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/costella/index.aspx
http://www.sonicwind.com/dom2.html
http://www.bonnevillewideopen.com/
http://www.yacoucci.com/index.html

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 68 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,125
Posts18,502,458
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.