Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wow! I remember planning my first trip! I say first although it’s the only one so far, I will be going again.
You have received so much great information it’s hard to add anything else.
I would just say, pack light and stay as long as you can.
My wife, son and I spent 27 days in South Africa on our trip. Would love to go back and do Namibia or Botswana next.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally rent rifles on these kinds of trips, but not necessarily due to it being cheaper. Often it is not as you just need pay excess baggage fees to bring your own. Some countries may have a rifle import fee too, but I think generally it is just a wash from a cost perspective.

I rent because the last thing I want to have happen is have the airlines damage one of mine, let alone have one stolen in a foreign country. I have not heard of that happening, but it crosses my mind. Not having to roll the dice concerning how big of a PIA firearm control is going to be is another reason.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would highly recommend Kowas or Toby Englebrecht in Namibia. Both are great family run operations.

Who is John Galt?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree with 99.9% of M3Taco’s recommendations regarding gear with one exception: “Leave the range finder at home”. Michael and I have both hunted many times with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris in Namibia. My very first African animal I shot was a 40” Gemsbok bull. When we first spotted him from an elevated blind, I asked Jan the range. His response was “160 yards”. Now I’ve played golf for over 60 years and had a single digit handicap in my youth. My average drive as I got older was right around 200 yards. This Gemsbok was further out than I could drive a golf ball. I took out my Bushnell laser rangefinder and it read “224 yards”. My Leupold scope had a custom Bullet Drop Compensator and I just dialed 225 and held dead on. The Gemsbok ran 40 yards after being shot and rolled over dead. I learned that day that despite being an outstanding PH, Jan is a crappy range estimator. After my fourth trip hunting with Jan, he finally broke down and bought a top of the line laser range finder. As Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies ....”A man’s got to know his limitations “.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, sight your rifle in for 200 yds and you wouldn't have to dial anything. A simple 2" high at 100 puts you in the game 99% of the time in Africa. I've only killed a touch over 50 plains game animals over there, but never even thought about using an RF.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I will concur...for hunting in the bush, no rangefinder needed. A 200 yd sight in would work, I only sighted for 100 yds and always did fine.

In the wide open, like the Free State to the Karoo...you might want a range finder.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If someone wants to take a Range Finder, by all means take one. It would come in handy if you’re hunting in the wide-open spaces of the Karoo in RSA where shots tend to be a good bit longer - think pronghorn antelope out west etc. Could be useful for trying to snipe baboons at long range but, you have to realize, If you take a shot, it pretty much ends your hunting in that area for the rest of day.

If you do take one, I think for spot and stalk hunting, you’ll find pretty quickly you just won’t have time to mess with it. I’ve been with a couple of guys who’ve tried to use one and the extra motions and delays in getting the shot off, meant….they didn’t get the shot off and lost the chance at very nice trophies.

If you have one and are sitting in a blind like Bud above, something you can do to reduce your movement and time to shoot is – determine your most likely field of fire then pick out maybe 3-5 significant features, a bigger rock, or tree or the far and near edges of the waterhole and laze their distances in a pattern from L-R or R-L. #1 – 125yds, #2 – 140yds, #3 – 85yds, #4 – 175yds and put the LRF away. The difference in bullet drop between 85-175yds on most rifles is less than 3”. If you’re zeroed at 150yd, just put the crosshairs on the center of the vital triangle and squeeze- Hard to get more K.I.S.S than that!

One of the things that always gives me a good chuckle is watching the TV bowhunter shows. They’re always sitting in a permanent blind, in full camo, with an absolute KNOWN distance to the waterhole and they ALWAYS, have to pick up a LRF and confirm the distance. “29.345644yds” or whatever before they shoot from one of 10 fixed pin sights. Oh well, got to make the endorsement $$$.

One thing spot on Bud mentioned, is to know your limits – spot on 100%. Just as or more important is to know and understand your kit (rifle in this case). As JG, Ingwe mentioned and I think I did too was, just sight your rifle for 1 ½” high at 100yd or dead on at 150yds and that’s it. Virtually EVERY legal hunting caliber, if you use either of these two, will be somewhere between 1 ½” high at 100yds and close to dead on at 150yds and around 2” low at 200yds. Hell, even my 458 WM with 350gr TSX’s at 2600fps is sighted 1 ½” high at 100yd. It’s dead on at 50, and again at 150yd and 3” low at 200yds. Scope has a heavy duplex recital and the crosshairs cover 1 moa at 100.

More important is spend a good bit of time studying shot placement and where the “vital triangle” is on ALL African antelope species. Specifically, study/notice the upper leg bone formation. On full broadside shots, the only bone you’ll encounter are thin rib bone. The most difficult shot is the one quartering towards you. Those damn upper leg bones will sit right across where you need to put the bullet. If you try to miss it, you’ll either hit in the guts or the other side and you’ll pass thru just lung. The vital triangles are pretty forgiving. 6” or so on springbok, 10” or so on gemsbok/wildebeest/hartebeest, 12” on zebra (notice they have a natural aim point already marked), 14” on eland and 16” on giraffe.

Shot Placement Images

One thing all American hunters should take special notice of is how far FORWARD in the chest the heart is. On a broad side shot, if you aim where you have been accustomed to for US deer, you’re going to be in the guts and the recovery rodeo will be on. A good rule of thumb is to NEVER aim behind the front leg. Either straight up the onside front if it’s a true broadside OR if it’s quartering any discernable amount towards or away, use the OFFSIDE front leg. Main aim point is 1/3 of the way UP from the bottom of the chest. If you’re spot on, you hit heart. If you’re a little low, you’ll hit the bottom of the heart. If you’re a little high, you’ll hit the main arteries at the top of the heart and IF a little higher still, you’ll spine it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bring extra money
Get some gaitors
Schedule a few extra days to see the sights
Have fun[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/y6eyK69.jpg?2[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i.imgur.com/Zl6BERM.jpg?1[/img][/img]
[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/PeLWpZo.jpg?1[/img][/img]
[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/dPm9doJ.jpg?2[/img][/img]
[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/vRDS6TP.jpg?2[/img][/img]

Last edited by jeff270; 03/12/21.

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take your son before he gets older and starts his own life. Buy sticks this spring and start practicing, and bring your son with you so he can practice too. The camps wash your clothes every day so you don't need much. Start getting your passports now. Its a really really long flight. If you can afford it upgrade the seats, if not, no worries. Bring a lightweight smaller travel backpack to carry your personal stuff during the day. Bring ear plugs to wear on the plane. Study what the tipping practices are in the camp and the PH's methods of distributing the monies to the staff and be comfortable with the scheme.

Be prepared to be amazed

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,909
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.