Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBoston
I like Hornaday One Shot as you don't have to remove it after loading. The only time I have dented cases with it is with new dies that I ovelubed initially. Imperial is good but I have dented cases a number of times with it and it takes tumbling or soaking to remove, a wipe down alone leaves enough to cause high pressure indicators.

In a pinch I have used STP (really messy), VO5 (I think it is lanolin), Automatic transmission fluid or better Ed's Red. Cooking Spray, Olive Oil, and some others. I like the One Shot or Imperial from the shoulder down and motor mica for inside and outside the neck.

I used STP during my youth, and it worked as well as most other branded "case" lubes. Times were tight, and my 1960 Chevy stove-bolt six ran on a 50-50 mix of 30wt and STP. I had what was still left sliming the innards of the STP cans, and collected it for sizing lube.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you use Lee Collet dies the lubrication problem goes away.

For times I'm not using these, I find One Shot is about as easy as it could be. Stand the batch of cases in a loading block, a quick spritz with the aerosol from above, to get it inside and outside the cases, let them have a few minutes to dry, and you're good to go. I don't know how it could be easier, and a little goes a long way. There's no need to worry about the stuff being left inside the cases, and I give each loaded round a quick wipe with a paper towel or clean cloth before boxing them up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google 6.5 Guy on Youtube. They make a lube consisting of Lanolin oil mixed with 100% Isopropyl alcohol. I'm a big fan of Imperial Sizing Die Wax and have used it for over 20 years and still on the same small tin! Just incredible. But I recently started to shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor to shoot steel and you burn up a lot more ammo. I tried the formula and could not believe the results!!! The cases size so smoothly with the lanolin. If anything better that Imperial Wax and you can feel it. A bonus is that since you spray it on the insides of the necks are lubed too! I used to lube that is a separate step.

Hornady One Shot is horrendously expensive in Australia so I don't use it and have never used it. But the lanolin does work and the ratio suggested by 6.5Guys appear to be spot on! Its brilliant stuff! Certainly a time saver in bulk reloading

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Big fan of this stuff; squirt some on a piece of foam and roll cases, resize while wet. Costs a couple of bucks for a big jug at walmart. Wipes off after sizing with a paper towel.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

No problem. People obsess over this, but it's a no brainer. Imperial sizing wax is merely expensive lanolin. crazy

You have either not seen Imperial or you have not seen lanolin, they are not the same at all.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by mathman
I like Hornaday One Shot as you don't have to remove it after loading. The only time I have dented cases with it is with new dies that I ovelubed initially. Imperial is good but I have dented cases a number of times with it and it takes tumbling or soaking to remove, a wipe down alone leaves enough to cause high pressure indicators.

This does not match my experience.

+1 Even when I was a total rookie hand loader.

Not a problem I have ever had.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Must be doing something wrong with the Imperial, probably using too much. Instead of fingers I will try a rag to apply.

Thanks for the info on the Lanolin recipe, just ordered some as I was going to get some anyway to rejuvenate my wool clothes, same recipe may work for both and will be easier than washing it in in the bath tub. I didn't know it was soluble in alcohol. I used it for sailboat rigging where even stainless and bronze hardware especially the cables would corrode after salt build up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always used those little tubes of Lee. They are cheap and they work great. You can even mix it with water and spray it on.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Must be doing something wrong with the Imperial, probably using too much. Instead of fingers I will try a rag to apply.

I use my fingers but there is very little Imperial on them. The application actually looks like I'm trying to wipe something off of the case with my thumb and first two fingertips. None goes on the case shoulder.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Was at SW today, Hornady One Shot (10oz) was $17.99. Add tax and there goes a 20 dollar bill. The stuff ain't cheap.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I switched to lanolin and heat last spring. I much prefer it over other lubes I have used for resizing my dies.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Remington725
I’ve heard lots of testimonials for Imperial wax but haven’t used it.

If you were planning to size 500 pieces of 223 brass, would you use that?

I use the Imperial sizing die wax for most of my reloading......................but if I'm doing 500 cases I use a product called Brass Butter, night and day better than One Shot.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mathman

I use my fingers but there is very little Imperial on them. The application actually looks like I'm trying to wipe something off of the case with my thumb and first two fingertips. None goes on the case shoulder.

This

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
DBoston,

I use Imperial on a typical lube-pad--and use very little. It doesn't get on the shoulder, and merely handling the rounds during the rest of the loading process gets rid of 99% of what's on the body.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART

No problem. People obsess over this, but it's a no brainer. Imperial sizing wax is merely expensive lanolin. crazy

You have either not seen Imperial or you have not seen lanolin, they are not the same at all.

Maybe there's Canadian Lanolin that's different. Like back bacon.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Remington725
Do any of you guys make your own? I’d like to make something similar to One Shot.

Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
...Maybe there's Canadian Lanolin that's different. Like back bacon.

grin This thread is like a lot here - minutiae and alchemy. Why do things the easy way when you can impress the crowd with your magic and take the long way around? laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Maybe there's Canadian Lanolin that's different. Like back bacon.

Jesus man, I got a picture of back-boob from the Walmart thread!

Erk...not good.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just got a lifetime supply of Lanolin for less than one can of One Shot. Both the glycol and 90+ percent Isopropyl worked, heating the Lanolin helped.
I also made a DIY version of Imperial with 1/3 each of Lanolin, Paraffin, and mineral oil. Melt in a double boiler and take off the heat before adding the mineral oil. Add half and let cool and then add more to get the consistency you want, reheat if necessary. If too thick add mineral spirits away from the stove. I made a heavy duty version of this with motor mica in it. Tried it on forming 264 brass to 257 Weatherby and it felt like it wasn't even contacting the die where as before it took some effort. I like the Alchemy.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And you saved how much money?

I handload a LOT of ammo, and a 2-ounce tin of Imperial lasts several years. Of course, i also don't always FL size, and use One-Shot for some stuff, especially smaller cases. But still find Imperial to be a bargain.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And you saved how much money?

I handload a LOT of ammo, and a 2-ounce tin of Imperial lasts several years. Of course, i also don't always FL size, and use One-Shot for some stuff, especially smaller cases. But still find Imperial to be a bargain.

I've had the same experience with Hornady Unique. I'm not sure how much difference there is between it and Imperial, but I suspect not much. Dab an index finger in it and roll the base of the brass between that finger and thumb. It takes very little and you'll have to be careful not to get too much. It isn't messy and wipes off your fingers and/or brass easily. Adds practically no time to the process of picking up the case and sticking it into the shell holder. Only have to add Unique to fingers every 3rd or 4th case. I'm on my second or third little tub of it and suspect the remainder in this tub might outlive me. There is a new tub in the stash in case it doesn't.

I just checked the current price at Midway and was surprised to see it is now $6. I think I paid $2 each for the two I currently have.

A friend who happens to be a druggist makes large quantities of the lanolin/alcohol concoction and puts it in spray bottles. He loads huge quantities of pistol and rifle ammo in several Dillon 1050s. He gave me a bottle of it....worked well but the Unique does fine for my single stage press.

Last edited by Hook; 03/24/21.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10Glocks, 1936M71, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 257man, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.