Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have both the Havalon and the Gerber vital. They can use the same blades. IMO/E changing blades is much easier on the Gerber. The #70 with the rounded tip is the blade I use the most on big game. I've touched the edge up when needed, but it really isn't needed all that much IME if one stays off the bones. I've skinned/boned an elk with 2 blades. If just quartering, the second isn't needed.

P
P

I trap, generally skin 80-100 various critters a year. Weibe brand is my go to, both knife and blades. Weibe blades are just as good and more economical than Havalon , and interchange with the #60XT. I use the Outdoor Edge on big game animals, the blade and backbone is more suitable for the task.

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Wiebe/Wiebe+Wicked+Sharp+Replacement+Blades

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 300stw
the aluminum havalon with the thicker blades, 1 in every vehicle with a few blades. 1 blade per gutting qnd skinning a single animal usually, probably did 60 deer and elk with them, i hqve all 3 brands. and 2 dozen fixed blades factory and custom,
hate the gerber the lock is a joke blades pop off, , its terrible no matter what people on another site say, i actually hqve 6 pendelton lite hunter fixed blades and bought twice that many as gifts, my pack has q havalon qnd a pendelton always,,
the custom knives stay in the gun safe any more
Have they dropped that one? I don't see it on their website. Amazon has it but not extra blades. Where do you get blades?

Is this the one you're talking about? :
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Plottpower

I trap, generally skin 80-100 various critters a year. Weibe brand is my go to, both knife and blades. Weibe blades are just as good and more economical than Havalon , and interchange with the #60XT. I use the Outdoor Edge on big game animals, the blade and backbone is more suitable for the task.

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Wiebe/Wiebe+Wicked+Sharp+Replacement+Blades
Wiebe sells this thing called a zipper. The blades appear to be like standard box cutter hook blades. I have lots of those on hand along with several knives. Do you know if these are any sharper than box cutters?

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use a havalon withca regular blade and a removable. The removable is great for skinning but too thin/fragile for joints.

IC B2

P
P
Unless the hook is larger than it appears in the picture, zipper’ looks like a standard roofing knife. I use the RazorPro.

https://www.outdooredge.com/collections/hunting-processing/products/razor-pro

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 60A blades are thicker and stronger than the 60XT blades. (Havalon)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99

There's a whole lot of people that can't sharpen
their own knives that would be better served by
going to such a system
I'm fortunate in that I can sharpen my knives
myself with a stone, and don't require any
jigs or guides or plug in machines.
If I couldn't do that, I'd have a couple of the
change out handles and a lifetime supply of blades
and not look back or give it a second thought.

Major ditto!!

Use whatcha like and what's most efficient in your hands.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Dear God......

All I have to say is I helped my buddy gut and skin his last bull elk. He good naturedly whipped out his Havelon knife to piss me off (He owns about 20 of my knives). The joke was on him but I didn't say a thing. He replaced his Havelon blade SIX times during the task...we counted!

After the skinning was over I ran my knife down my forearm and popped hair off, smiled and punched him in the shoulder. CPM154 Stainless doesn't mess around.

If your buddy changed Havelon blades 6 times gutting and skinning one bull, its not the knifes fault. Your buddy has no clue what he was doing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by callnum
Dear God......

All I have to say is I helped my buddy gut and skin his last bull elk. He good naturedly whipped out his Havelon knife to piss me off (He owns about 20 of my knives). The joke was on him but I didn't say a thing. He replaced his Havelon blade SIX times during the task...we counted!

After the skinning was over I ran my knife down my forearm and popped hair off, smiled and punched him in the shoulder. CPM154 Stainless doesn't mess around.

If your buddy changed Havelon blades 6 times gutting and skinning one bull, its not the knifes fault. Your buddy has no clue what he was doing.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dear God......

Was he using used blades?

― George Orwell

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dear God......

That’s VERY possible. Another contributing factor is he’s left handed. 😖

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have one that was given to me. However, I own three $100 Arkansas stones and have no interest. At any given time, I usually have a minimum of three knives on my person.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/28/21.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nollij
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Don't much care for the blade shape on this one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I like a good 'switch blade' knife myself

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like-and use- the Outdoor Edge, mainly because blades are easier to change than on the Havalon.

That said they don't last long, skinning and completely boning a large critter ( over 200 lbs) may require more than one blade.

But I travel and hunt a lot, and bring home the meat, and the spare blades are just plain easier and quicker to deal with than sharpening a fixed blade.

which model do you perfer?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Replaceable blades can also be sharpened. Sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion, but my cheap ass old man sharpens his havalon fillet knife blades with good effect.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Can only speak about the Havalon as I have never used the other two. I have two Havalons (Piranta and a Baracuta) and love them.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I have been using the outdoor edge for a number of years. Have a couple of them and a scalpel style.

I'll be honest, putting an edge on a fix blade was never my strong point.

Yep; +1

I like the outdoor edge one for the reasons laid forth by others here.

I have had the issue of fat accumulation on the blade retainer mentioned by at least one person but figure all options have a drawback or three and that’s the drawback of this choice.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
About that fat accumulation problem - I don't have one of those knives but why not take an old blade, grind off the sharp edge, and carry it for a groove cleaner?

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,561
Posts18,510,646
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.