Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by blairvt
Sort of off topic, but why do you guys spend so damn much on a mower? Why mow 6 acres or whatever? Let it grow. pay a farmer twice a year to bush hog it. Plant trees, something. To much money and time spent making it look like a golf course. Use the money and time to take a fishing trip to Alaska or Florida. Don't mean to attack guys but I just don't get it.

Most country folks do spend more time taking care of their places

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kubota.

Got one and really like it fast and easy to learn to run.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I narrowed down my choice to ExMark Laser Z E-Series. Mine will be a 60” cut with the largest Kawasaki you can get on it. Most of the commercial guys use them here and I found an excellent dealer about 10 miles from the house for service. Plan on ordering it today.

Buy once, cry once.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Whatever you buy make sure it has a good hydraulic seat. My old Kubota had a fixed seat, beat the hell out of me. My new XMark has a seat with better cushions on hydraulics, night and day difference.

The XMark cost over $13,000. It is a 60” cut with a 36 horsepower Koehler. It is the most commercial model they make. For me it was worth the money.

How much you mow with that?

I hate cutting grass, so the faster the better. The property where I live is a little under six acres, I own property where I plan to build that is seven acres, and I rent about one acre on the levee where I keep my houseboat during the summer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by blairvt
Sort of off topic, but why do you guys spend so damn much on a mower? Why mow 6 acres or whatever? Let it grow. pay a farmer twice a year to bush hog it. Plant trees, something. To much money and time spent making it look like a golf course. Use the money and time to take a fishing trip to Alaska or Florida. Don't mean to attack guys but I just don't get it.

Most country folks do spend more time taking care of their places

I'm country folk stuck in the city for now. I do have a place in the mountains. Takes about 30 minutes to mow/weedeat. Rest is trees. Got a friend that had 16 acres of backyard. The state paid him to turn it in to quail habitat. No quail showed up but lots of rabbits and songbirds. Deer turned it in to a bedding area. Amazing hunting during the rut from his back porch. Beats the hell out of a manicured lawn. I'm not saying don't mow around your house. I'm talking about the guys mowing 6+ acres every week. Hell no. Turn it in to habitat and enjoy the show.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I didn't mow the Russian Olive brush would have the land in one year. It's Hillary's fault!, The Russians.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two Gravely's, love them both.

The first one I bought is a ZT 52 HD for here on the farm with a couple three acres to mow about every 5 days.

Bought a used 260 last year for our place in Idaho, it's a lot more mower and is a beast.

There is one silly little meaningless thing I like about them that others don't have. You don't have to have the handles exactly folded up into the little slot to drive, you can drive with them in any position you want.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It all boils down to the motor and what grade transmissions the mower has. The motors are going to be comparable on any mower of a given price but sometimes one $10,000 mower will have higher grade transmissions than another $10,000 mower.

Ex Mark seems to be the brand that most commercial mowing companies around here use.

A company called Hydro Gear produces the transmissions for about 90% of the zero turn mowers.

Here's the commercial grade transmissions that they manufacture. I'd buy the $10,000 mower with the highest grade transmissions.

https://www.hydro-gear.com/commercial/

Thanks Bristoe
Wanted to p st something like this, but am tired of doing it.
When we were shopping, I spent hours doing research to learn
about them. Real learning with facts and all.

Why people come here asking these questions I'll never understand.
You are going to have people tell you to buy what they have.
With no idea how theirs stacks up.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You can't buy a new Kubota for $10,000 I don't believe. I do have a ZD21-60" that I bought about 15 yrs ago. I mow 5 acres because I do not want my little piece of Heaven looking like sh$t. I do have the heavy welded deck as I mow everything, t post, rocks, stumps, and whatever is in my way. Kinda like the old cowboy, I won't get off my horse to do anything. Just run over it!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Check out Alta Implement for a Kubota.
712 2841131

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

G
gmack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Why people come here asking these questions I'll never understand.
You are going to have people tell you to buy what they have.
With no idea how theirs stacks up.

This is part of my research. Lots of good info that might have taken me days longer to find wading through the internet BS and misinformation prevalent today. Multiple sources is a way to separate fact from fiction. Maybe I am lazy, works for me.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Placed my order this morning, should be here next week. Lucked out to find the one i found.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got an education the last 2 months rebuilding a Skag, mostly related to a Kohler Command Pro engine.

I'm anxious to see what mowing will be like this summer.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Always opt for a Kawasaki engine

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've got a Kawasaki on my mower, but there's a huge number of mowers out there running the Kohler 7000 series motor. There doesn't seem to be excessive problems with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I lived in Arkansas I had a Cub Cadet with a Kawasaki engine. It knocked 1.5 house off of my mow time each week; best 3 grand I ever spent.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Because of a Hawthorn tree I cut, I've been cursed with flat tires on my mower. I think the thorns are gone now, but my old tires are full of plugs and don't hold air very long.

I found new tires mounted on rims for $140 and treated my mower to a new pair. I also took a file to the blades and put an edge on them that will cut your finger.

I'm ready to hit the yard for the first time of the season. But I'm going to wait for this cold snap to be over. I think we have 2 more days of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not related to the topic but I didn't want to start a new thread. someone posted a mower fail video earlier and I was amazed at the speed these guys are getting off mowers so I started searching for cheap ways to speed up a mower.

Most of these cheap MTD branded mowers have a fixed shaft on the front with a small pulley at the top for the transmission and a large pulley at the bottom for the mowing deck. To double the speed of the mower these guys are just taking those fixed pully's off, turning it upside down and drilling a hole in the shaft to bolt it up. The one I watched the guy went from a top speed of 5mph to 12mph, and his mower will pop a wheelie.

Now he wasn't running the deck on it so I can't speak to the speed of the blades but that was 30 minutes of effort to have some cheap fun. I wouldn't do it on a $10K zero turn, but a $400 yard sale mower? hell, I'd buy it just to do it.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/02/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Because of a Hawthorn tree I cut, I've been cursed with flat tires on my mower. I think the thorns are gone now, but my old tires are full of plugs and don't hold air very long.

I found new tires mounted on rims for $140 and treated my mower to a new pair. I also took a file to the blades and put an edge on them that will cut your finger.

I'm ready to hit the yard for the first time of the season. But I'm going to wait for this cold snap to be over. I think we have 2 more days of it.

Do you mow with that 8n?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Do you mow with that 8n?

No. I've got a zero turn.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 35, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 15 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,644
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.