Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thank you Ma'am for your service and your sacrifice.

It is always tragic to hear of the death of one of America's Finest. Seems doubly tragic when it is a training accident. But even the most ignorant know, training does no good unless you train like you fight.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Godspeed Spc. Jenks.

Prayers to the family.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Question to those who know ?

Do soldiers pack their own parachute on static jumps?

I’ve read that SF pack theirs for Jumps.

RIP Soldier
🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Question to those who know ?

Do soldiers pack their own parachute on static jumps?

I’ve read that SF pack theirs for Jumps.

RIP Soldier
🦫

Only the HALO guys pack their own chutes. Riggers pack the chutes for static line jumps including SF.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Even after opening jumpers can get to close to one another where one chute looses air and collapses. Unless getting clear fast and pulling away some one is going to have a painful landing. Landed in a grape vineyard one time because of this. Also saw one of our guys bounce off bed rock in Italy for nearly the same reason.

Phil

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Didn't see many women in the service in 69, in fact don't remember seeing any except for a few nurses, and a couple riggers. Though at that time they weren't allowed to jump, most still did on their own time and with their own equipment. At the time most all of our jumps were from 500 feet. Most were also at night. Had quite a few from Huey's, they weren't hovering, you still caught blast of wind, but getting out over the skids made it seem strange, sometimes spinning you around or so it felt. Women have come a long ways in the military in the last 50 years. Any training death is hard to take, but more so when its a girl. I heard about this a couple days ago, but at the time they hadn't given any specifics or even said it was a girl. Sorry to hear.

Phil

Maybe small difference in semantics but I don’t believe a girl was in that jump suit that day. Have to say she was a full fledged woman, with balls. She didn’t make the rules but used them to put herself in danger should the need arise to protect our nation. Girls don’t do that. If female, it takes a full grown woman. God bless and keep her soul at hand.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BobBrown
RIP

I didn't realize there were female paratroopers.

There aren't anymore.........

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
RIP, Spc Jenks

My son is airborne qualified. Every time he has to make a jump, I worry a bit until he calls me afterwards

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 04/22/21.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Prayers and condolences to the family. May she rest in peace.
My oldest son just got out of the 82nd and is back home. He thankfully got through without any mishaps.
I rather enjoyed jumping Huey’s. I guess I was to young and to stupid to appreciate the risk associated with helicopters.
My unit had a jump fatality in April of 93’ about three weeks before I got there. I was assigned to the same platoon.It really affected those guys and understandably so but they kept right on jumping and doing their jobs.
God bless all who have served.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 04/22/21.
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I don't know how much has changed since I retired but if they are still using the "bell" parachutes for basic jumpers then I can understand how these incidents continue to happen. In my opinion, static line jumps are freaking dangerous because of the chutes and auto deployment. The static line doesn't care how your body is positioned when the chute is deployed. When it opens, you have what you got, no steering ability. In the Navy, we went to Bragg and got Basic Jumper and immediately went to the Navy Advanced Free Fall school in Miramar. We utilized I believe Mark V chutes with inflatable cells and manual deployment. Major difference is you get to exit the aircraft and slipstream, stabilize and then pull the D ring. When your cells inflate and have a stable platform, you have the ability to STEER to your landing. The majority of static line jumps are not due to parachute failure. They are due to landings. Broken necks due to coming down in trees, landing backwards, power lines etc...

In my best day, I would have declined a static jump with a "dumb" chute. A bad exit from a jet can snap your neck on deployment, [bleep] barreling through your deployed chutes, self entanglement, tangled lines and if you get all that right, you still are just meat under a canopy waiting to see where it lands you.

-Piss into the wind.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.