-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've a lot of hours in aircraft that had a lot less range than 500 miles. Of course we could land anywhere we pleased. Sometimes we carried passengers too. Grumpy lot, always wanting to kill someone. Other stuff I flew could make 1,000 miles or better and was practical for passenger transport.

One of the flies in the ointment is IFR regulations....and holding patterns. Short range isn't a good selling point for private or corporate airmen.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bah, that gasoline-powered flight will never catch on - the first one only went 120 feet.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OGB
Jeepers. I think we need fewer tinfoil hats around here. No matter how you feel about it, fossil fuels aren't sustainable in the long term. Solar panel and battery technology has a long ways to go. I think windmills are stupid. I wouldn't own a Prius. I think nuclear is the answer. Maybe the current cars and planes aren't long term viable but they are necessary evolutionary steps. And what's wrong with a company seeing the writing on the wall and getting in front of it?

It's not tinfoil, it's actual economics and not dreams.

There's nothing wrong with a company trying to get in front of the next market but to make it economically viable is another matter all together. As I said, no mention of what this thing will cost. It's competing with a very mature market and in that range/capacity it wants to play in it's competing with piston, turboprop and jet aircraft that are well established and with strong used markets. Got a million bucks (and it will be many times that) the world is your oyster in used. Spend $1.8 and this will eat the new guy alive in every single category - https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/32326867/2008-piaggio-p-180-avanti-ii-turboprop-aircraft

There is still the incredible burden of FAA to go, that will take a lot of time and cost. We'll see.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JOG
Bah, that gasoline-powered flight will never catch on - the first one only went 120 feet.

Dude, it had a headwind!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not to say I’m against it. But I would suggest energy czar John Kerry be loaned one to fly to the Energy Tech Summit later next week. He wouldn’t have to be masked up either and suffer all the guff he took for doing it publicly in first class. 😉

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Increased regulation let the push to more fuel efficient vehicles.

I kind of like out RAV4 that has more power than my '54 Chevy coupe and gets 30+ mpg.

If it hadn't been for regulation, and competition from overseas (The American car buyer will never buy small cars, they want Cadillacs and Buicks) and we'd all still be driving cars with 9-18MPG inefficient motors that needed valve adjustment 2x a year and a head job every 50K miles

No, it wasn't CAFE standards that did that.

It was $5/gallon of gas after Katrina that did that.

Competition from overseas, yeah I'll give you that.

I'm talking the 70's (1977) when I bought my first foreign car brand new. For half the price of the Olds on the showroom floor, with more amenities as in they didn't charge $40 extra for hubcaps like on the Olds sticker, and it was 4WD and got over 30MPG back then. And yes, CAFE did have an effect back then as it started in '75. The foreign companies had no issues designing and building new technology to meet those standards.

GM, AMC, MOPAR, and Ford gave us scheidt like the Pinto and the Chevette. Because they hated the idea of having to retool, and as I mentioned, they were still of the opinion that we good Americans wanted big steel American cars. They learned quickly enough.

When Toyota, Nissan, and Mitsubishi started selling high numbers of small trucks the US makers had to import them under their labels just to keep a share of the market. If not mistaken, the Chevy LUV small truck was made mostly by Mitsubishi or some other Japanese corporation.

Katrina may have helped keep the ball rolling, especially in the F150 truck class and the SUV size vehicles, but then again, the American companies came late to the show after the Toyota 4 runner types were selling better than some of their offerings.

How could you leave out the Gremlin and the Corvair? 😮

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
I would imagine many of these same arguments were heard a hundred and twenty years ago or so...when they started trying to replace horses in many applications with those infernal, internal combustion engines.

True. There is the old fable (probably never happened, but gets the point across) that Henry Ford once said, "If I'd have asked people what they really wanted, they'd have asked for faster horses."

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by sactoller
Originally Posted by Dutch
[quote=Pugs][quote=Dutch]

The main element in the batteries is lithium, one of the 10 most abundant elements on earth.

As far as source of electricity, even in Texas, close to 30% of the electric supply is renewable. Nationwide, more electricity is produced by renewables than coal, and coal is still shrinking while renewable energy growth continues to accelerate. For one simple reason: it’s cheaper.

But it just doesn't pop up out of the ground, it has to be mined. Those mines are hideous!

Geez, that bad? Worse than a coal strip mine?

And how much of that mining is done with renewable energy. What are the relative footprints, geologically and energy wise. strip mines can br reclaimed, most times.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My simple point was that electricity, contrary to current propagandizing, is not always clean energy when you follow the tracks backward.

However, the concept like many others is interesting and may be a step to a practical future reality, but it would seem the technology at this point does not meet the “practical” requirement yet.

The eyeball effect of that plane is very good however.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 52 invisible), 13,944 guests, and 1,546 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,055
Posts18,540,959
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.