Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
willy3 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have a savage 99 30-30 cal in a break down model there is a letter K on the lever bolt and the numbers of the serial #318132 match the #132 on the barrel under the forarm and the forarm has matching #318132 stamped inside the bottom. Real nice shape. would love to find out the value and year it was made.I believe maybe 1959 according to a chart I found on the net. went to a gun show in Saratoga ny dealer said I should find the 410 shotgun barrel that matches the gun. Needle in a hay stack! If I can figure out how to post pics I will soon.. Newjack at this.

Footsteps in the sand he held me in his hand,and in the other he held a Savage. Truly this must be Heaven!
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
99 takedown models in ANY caliber were strictly a pre-war item. Your number puts 'er in 1929.

Sounds nice, post some pics.

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
W
willy3 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the info so quickly. need pointers on how to submit photos. The sav 99 was a gift from a old family friend back in 1984. It was wrapped in burlap and covered with grease. It was so small I thought it was a 22cal. It had been in his closet for 20 years or so.. beautiful short and light Great to hunt with.

Footsteps in the sand he held me in his hand,and in the other he held a Savage. Truly this must be Heaven!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice!
Theres directions on how to post pictures in the photography forum here at the 24HC.
Can't wait to see it. smile

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

W
willy3 Offline OP
OP Offline
W

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice!!!

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by willy3
I have a savage 99 30-30 cal in a break down model there is a letter K on the lever bolt and the numbers of the serial #318132 match the #132 on the barrel under the forarm and the forarm has matching #318132 stamped inside the bottom. Real nice shape. would love to find out the value and year it was made.I believe maybe 1959 according to a chart I found on the net. went to a gun show in Saratoga ny dealer said I should find the 410 shotgun barrel that matches the gun. Needle in a hay stack! If I can figure out how to post pics I will soon.. Newjack at this.

Willy3
Welcome,Wow what a Beutiful Rifle.,,as said put's it 1929-1930
Looks a G Delux.
Value if it was un-Dick with and all Orginal,,no cracks, and 90% Plus
Well then It's Price-Less. They Have Been Selling If You are wanting to Insure it
For Any-Where From 650-1200.00 Pending Condition.
Enjoy and tnx for sharing.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
W
willy3 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the info .. best to get it insured..How can you tell if it is g delux? excellent condition, but has a chip on the butt end right where the butt plate rounds the bottom not to bad. was going to have it filled in but thought to leave well enough alone... no cracks or pits has not been shot much at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Welcome to the group. It's a G. I think the "delux" was a tag that got put onto the "G"'s. Most everyone calls them G delux. Yours is a fine example of the model and you should be very proud.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whoooo weeeee...thats a sweetheart!

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SWEET!!

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice rifle! Murrays puts that mid-1929..

You say the barrel has the last 3 digits of the serial number stamped on it under the forearm? That's different.. the forearm is stamped, and you should find the numbers also on the buttplate and the buttstock, but stamping the barrel wasn't normal. Sometimes when a rifle was sent in to the factory for work..

Guys, am I remembering right?

And I agree, leave the buttstock alone unless you can get a pro to do it.

W
willy3 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
thanks I will not touch the butt stock I wish the old guy was still alive to tell me the whole story about the gun I know he had bought it new. Thanks Is there a shotgun barrel out there for this rifle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 3 T/D's and 2 of the barrels are stamped and 1 is not.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Barrel is stamped on mine too.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great looking rifle, for a 30-30. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heh smile I can relate the story in a nut-shell...
Your fella bought that rifle new...put it away...and it ain't seen much daylight since then.
I'd guess that in a internet auction,or open sale,that it would fetch in the thousands.
I'd venture another guess that the barrel has rarely,if ever,been removed from that rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't know about fetching in the thousands if it's got a bit of wood missing at the toe of the buttplate.. ??

Thanks LBK and Joe, my only T/D wasn't stamped and I didn't realize stamping the barrel was common. Wonder what years they did this?

Willy, there was a combo set sold by Savage which consisted of a 99G in 300 Savage with a 410 barrel, all in a case. Yours is almost surely not originally a combo if you don't have the case. The 99G was sold by itself normally. The 410 barrel could be picked up as an accessory though, so you might keep your eyes open for one if you're interested. Most find it not that useful for hunting from what I hear, but it's a cool accessory. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Don't know about fetching in the thousands if it's got a bit of wood missing at the toe of the buttplate.. ??

Thanks LBK and Joe, my only T/D wasn't stamped and I didn't realize stamping the barrel was common. Wonder what years they did this?

Willy, there was a combo set sold by Savage which consisted of a 99G in 300 Savage with a 410 barrel, all in a case. Yours is almost surely not originally a combo if you don't have the case. The 99G was sold by itself normally. The 410 barrel could be picked up as an accessory though, so you might keep your eyes open for one if you're interested. Most find it not that useful for hunting from what I hear, but it's a cool accessory. grin

Rory
Have to agree With Jed. Untouched No Day-Light seen in many,many years, Bought New,, 2nd Owner.Slight little Chip in the toe which is common
She'd Fetch in the 1,000 to 1800.00 Range.
I sild Mine it was Drilled For Sling Swivels and was an 80% Gun sold for 900.00. and Had a Little Chip in toe. His Gun is a Lot Nicer in Condition. JMO
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I dunno about the price.. don't watch the minty guns too much, I buy shooters. That flaw is common, but it's one that drives me bonkers.

That case color on the outside of the lever looks darned good...

Hope he doesn't get rid of it though for a few $$.. if it came from an old family friend, it's priceless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.