This is a cut and paste from an email I sent to Forster this afternoon. I am curious if anyone else has had a problem like this or has any thoughts on the amount of neck size down when using standard full length dies. It seems to me that you would want the minimum amount of sizing so as to not over work the brass.

I bent the spindle on my sizing Forster sizing die while I was messing around with all of this, but I managed to thread the 270 sizing button on to a Redding spindle in my 30-06 die in order to expand the necks on the 270 brass.

Scott,

Thanks for getting back to me. I just need the spindle, but when I called earlier this morning I got a message that tech support is only available Mon-Thurs.

I have been using this die set for about 10 years with no apparent problems, but ran into a glitch yesterday with some once fired Starline brass. This is the first time I have sized any Starline brass and at first I thought maybe it was stickier that my normal brass.

I tried to size a couple of cases and could not get them into the die(the neck would go in about 1/8"). I took the die apart and cleaned it and re-lubed everything and managed to size 3 cases, but the force required to get them into the die seemed excessive. I then measured everything.

Fired case case neck ID .281" case neck thickness .015" case neck OD .311"

Sized case without expander case neck ID .263" case neck thickness .014" case neck OD .291"

sized and expanded neck case neck ID .275" case neck thickness .014" case neck OD .303"

It seems like sizing the neck OD down from .311" to .291" is the problem. I don't know why this hasn't happened before, but I suspect that this Starline brass is just enough harder or stickier to cause an issue. I was a little surprised that the die was set up to size the neck down to this extent (.020") and since I could not get in touch with tech support, I went out to a local store and bought a set of RCBS 270 dies. I set up the RCBS full length sizing die and sized one case with no problem. The sized un-expanded neck measured .297", .006" larger than the ones i sized with my Forster die.

Is this normal to size the case neck down .020" the expand it back up .012"?