Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Compare any Pre-64 Model 12 to the re-introduced Y model or Japanese remake which were investment cast.I bought the Browning version in 1990 brand spankin and had nothing but trouble,jamming,cast part's breaking,and many other's have had the same problems.The only part that I ever broke in a pre-64 was a small spring after thousands of rounds.If you go out an shoot as much as your on the puter,you'll see your investment cast guns wouldn't last as long as you think Ed

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gd'40EG-300
I might as well join in on this train wreck .......

Actually Chip , the mold is removed from the part ...... Chip is right about the process benefits though ...... final machining / grinding / polishing is all that is needed .

There is something else that no one touched base on : investment cast parts are structually superior ( ultimate stress failure )when compared to forged parts ....

Don't forget heat treat!

Couldn't agree more. I always get a kick out of the look on "dyed-in-the-wool-forging-equals-quality, they-don't-make-'em-like-they-used-to.......people's faces when I describe all the parts for 'quality' gun makers' products that I've seen being cast by Pine Tree and other foundries.
It's a hoot!

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow............................

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Ruger loved the 99, made many of his designs based on 99 idea's, and would likely still make a fine 99 today. Give my a detachable rotary mag 99, kinda like a 10-22 magazine even, I'll take one in 250-3000.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Better yet, Ruger has titanium investment casting down to a science, 99 titanium, keeps the weight down.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sqweeler
If you go out an shoot as much as your on the puter,you'll see your investment cast guns wouldn't last as long as you think Ed

Funny , I have 20,000 + hot handloaded rounds through my Ruger GP-100 and replaced a $5.00 spring ..... come to think of it , there is less cylinder slop ( side to side , fore and aft )than Smith & Wessons revolvers have NIB .....`

I also have logged over 30,000+ centerfire rounds this year ( pistols , rifles and shotguns )and the year is slightly more than half over . I shoot more in the fall .

The reason why I'm on the computer so much , is because I have to work alot of hours to support all you " baby -boomers " .... buy less Jap ( Browning junk )guns and save more retirement money .... also , send less money to AARP . That way , I may be able to spend more time at the range .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
Don't forget heat treat!

Good one .... I forgot about that .

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Heat treat? Is that like eating redhots?

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
This has been a fun read, not much on american history but is this how the civil war started? no could'nt be that was years before the 99. Jeez ive enjoyed this

Put me down for one in the short action 32-20 proto type style in murrays book, i'll take one in case hardend receiver and stainless fluted barrel in 19 calhoon badger, plus a 250 and 358

johno

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Zero

Zilch

Nada

Even if Savage figured out a way to make 99s on a mostly automated production line, I doubt that they could sell enough volume to cover their costs.

I think that Savage is doing fine with their current mix of products and have no financial incentive to do anything with the 99. I've bought a dozen or so recent production Savage products over the past couple of years and think that the Stevens 200 is probably the current best buy in an entry level, lower cost, CF hunting rifle.

I think that Bill Ruger could have made a go of an investment cast 99, thanks to the experts at Pinetree Casting, if he had had enough interest in doing so, but it appears that he didn't and that part of S-R died along with WBR.

Jeff

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can't imagine putting up two large toward a newly made Savage. I seriously doubt I would buy a new Savage if anyone made them again. That doesn't mean I have any critical thoughts toward someone who would. I am mainly a collector and even if a new Savage had fantastic quality, it still wouldn't be an old gun. But, I do believe a quality gun could be built - it is just a matter of how much money do you want to spend? Better materials, fitting, general craftmanship can still be had out there - it just doesn't come cheap. Having said that, I think few of the general public out shopping for a hunting rifle would pay that kind of money. And most collectors, who are willing to pay big money for a rifle, do so because the rifle is old, rare etc. - not something sitting in the rack at every sporting good store out there. Finally, I will suggest that as far as rifles go, the mechanism of the Savage M99 is not an inexpensive one to manufacture. As a hunting rifle, it would be competing with less expensive rifles to manufacture. Many a rifle has been discontinued with this as part of the reason. The Winchester M88 comes to mind.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just as well start making one yourself, you'd be money AND TIME ahead. Even if you had no machine training yet. GOOD IDEA HUH!!

Bo-ton-ton wanasa hehlogeca. (I have no recipe for horn)
In the woods, You return to reason and faith!
Nobody at home listens to me until I fart.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey gd40eg Just read your comments to Lbk on the savage trip thread about how an investment cast savage would lose value when you walked out the door with it and wouldn't be as well made as an old one. Nuff said! Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
I can't imagine putting up two large toward a newly made Savage. I seriously doubt I would buy a new Savage if anyone made them again.

If Savage brought back the 99 I would not have a choice in the matter , I would be COMPELLED to buy one.
I would have to get one in my hands to shoot , to compare to the previous production.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Hey gd40eg Just read your comments to Lbk on the savage trip thread about how an investment cast savage would lose value when you walked out the door with it and wouldn't be as well made as an old one. Nuff said! Ed

Yes , I did say the bit about losing value as soon as you walk out the door ... I did not say anything about the new ones not being well made ... I think they could be better made ...

Last edited by gd'40EG-300; 08/14/07.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 17 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,946
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.