Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi gents

My predicament...
I’ve recently acquired a Brno 21H, and was intending on scoping it with an old weaver k4 60-b. Not a European classic scope I know but it looks about right, and would be plenty usable in the field.
The problem, as expected, is bolt handle clearance, however through previous digging on old threads on this forum and other internet info I was sure it had been done before successfully with relative ease.
Well Talley and Warne have both ceased production of the extra height “CZ” bases that had been used in the past by some in my position, and the only option I’ve been able to find are Conetrol, which may well wind up being my best option, though admittedly I’m not crazy about their overall design and lack of QD feature.
The Conetrols are $200-250 so they’re a bit spendy and may be approaching custom machinist territory?
Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks
Ben

HR IC

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Also Alaska Arms was a no go. Went to the shop in person to try some rings but the highest he made was in the same height category as Warne, .500” ish.
Great guy though and very cool shop!

Thanks again, and I’d be open to exploring custom ring makers if anyone has recommendations there.
Ben

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Based on the reference to bases instead of rings, may we assume that you have an early 'round top' action and not the double square bridge?

Last edited by Hook; 05/04/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Im assuming if he was trying to use Alaska Arms rings he has the dovetails. I have the exact same rifle as you and the only solution is higher ring base combo, custom rings, or altering the bolt handle. I would think you could have custom rings made for the price of the controls and have a better looking setup. I have one that I am probably going to have a new bolt handle installed and use my Talley rings-

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thats a Brno 22f model. Had one original just like it. To my knowledge they dont come drilled/tapped. At least mine wasnt. I dont understand the bolt clearance issues. These have that butterknife bolt handle and dont these have more clearance than a Rem 700 or Win 70 or Ruger 77?

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies.
To clarify, yep, mine has the dovetails/square bridge similar to a modern CZ 550.
I’ll try to post a pic of mine to illustrate bolt shape. From what I’ve seen there were two variations even within that “butter knife” bolt handle era. Mines an earlier example and the base of the bolt handle comes out at a 90 then curves down. So it’s pretty obtrusive, especially regarding scope clearance.
In the meantime however, I may have answered my own question, as I came across an option from NECG that has a height of .670”.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
photos

Attached Images
IMG_44010.jpg (30.87 KB, 100 downloads)
IMG_44020.jpg (54.17 KB, 100 downloads)
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Have you thought about a picattiny rail. It will increase the height and you can use any waver style ring. It's an extra part but increases your options. See link:

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Gu...mp;psc=1&refRID=AY3Q2Z6E44WZ4H8QZPTP

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=7880

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1973cb450
Hi gents

My predicament...
I’ve recently acquired a Brno 21H, and was intending on scoping it with an old weaver k4 60-b. Not a European classic scope I know but it looks about right, and would be plenty usable in the field.
The problem, as expected, is bolt handle clearance, however through previous digging on old threads on this forum and other internet info I was sure it had been done before successfully with relative ease.
Well Talley and Warne have both ceased production of the extra height “CZ” bases that had been used in the past by some in my position, and the only option I’ve been able to find are Conetrol, which may well wind up being my best option, though admittedly I’m not crazy about their overall design and lack of QD feature.
The Conetrols are $200-250 so they’re a bit spendy and may be approaching custom machinist territory?
Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks
Ben

Honestly, have the bolt handle cut and rewelded.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you want them, I have a set of Warne QD rings that will work on your rifle. Since acquiring my first 22F a couple of decades ago, I've used only Warnes on my Brnos and CZs and have been very happy with them. I'm not overly fond of vertically split rings, but once installed they are rock solid. On one Brno, they worked without a hitch. On the other I had to grind a small flat on the bolt handle to get clearance (see pic below). It has mostly to do with the scope you use. That particular Brno 22F had several mods already, so I had no problem with adding one more slight mod. They do mount the scope higher than normal but that has been a non issue for me. If interested in the Warnes let me know and we'll work out a price.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had definitely thought of a rail or some other base to build up height, but would much prefer a QD ring/base one piece, for looks as much as function. Same to the altering of the bolt handle. I realize the simple logic there, but owning and using a classic European hunting rifle from 1949 has already made the departure from logical. This little gem has survived 72 years without a hack job and is otherwise all original in parts and configuration, which it should stay, even if the final verdict is no scope at all. Hopefully that makes sense smile

Hook, I’ll send you a pm, thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No place better than the fire!!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,477
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.