Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Very odd question, I know, but I ask it because of how muh brain has been stirred up by the premium bullet, always, even for deer, debate.

I've thought to myself a few times, standing over a dead deer that dropped in it's tracks, that in reality that's not a bad way to go- shot properly with a high-powered rifle that is. Sure beats cancer, diabetes, death by Festering Pustule, or most of the other ways a feller can kick off, right?

So given an adequate caliber and decent marksman at the other end, what bullet would YOU choose to die by, and why that one?

Personally, for me, screw some kind of premium like a TSX or A-frame. I want a soft bullet, borderline explosive. I think that would put the lights out fastest.

I think put this way it casts the penetration-at-all-costs school into a slightly different light.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
A rubber bullet would be my choice. I ain't ready to die yet.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Slow, boring day Jeff ? E

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Jeff Olsen:
While that is a bit of an �interesting� question, I myself have often defended hunting to non-hunters by saying that I�d rather go by bullet than bone cancer any day.
Here goes:
I�ll take either a 55gr. Hornady VMax or Nosler Ballistic Tip, fired out of a .220 Swift or a .22-.250 AI.
I�d prefer that the above mentioned projectiles be placed with the utmost care by a competent individual in either the soft spot of the temple above and in front of the ear or through an eye.
As I�m sure most of you have already guessed I have some experience with my choice of bullets on coyotes and have witnessed the results of my choice of placement.
Yes, I have hit a couple in the side of the head and one in the right eye.
No, I doubt I could ever do that again on command.
I am somewhat concerned that I don�t feel it was too strange a question���
Regards.
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take one of those premium monolithic marshmallow bullets. smile

IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Slow, boring day Jeff ? E

:-)

Actually my "day" starts this afternoon and goes into the evening today... other than making a bunch of phone calls and emailing some listings, my physical appointments are all later. Weekday, people have jobs, etc. I work a lot of evenings and weekends.

Today itself involves insulation, sheetrock, head-scratching, and now a trip under the house! Fun fun fun.

(We finally gave my older kid her own room, which has necessitated a full remake of our master bedroom for architectural reasons that would take too long to explain...)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
depends on where ize gonna get shot..

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
7MM 120 grain TSX...its been known to fail... grin

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If I have to choose, I'll add a +1 to the Vmax or Ballistic Tip, but I'd want a .308 cal though, looking for a bang-flop instead of a blood trail. And I'm pretty good sized and don't want the Vmax to blow up on my skin like some say the small caliber versions do on yotes.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm thinking ballistic tip, light for caliber, in a heavy caliber from 7mm-08 on up.

It is an interesting spin to put on the bullet debate, though, isn't it? A Nosler Partition, with it's fast-opening front, is about as premium as I'd go, and I'd much prefer a much more explosive bullet.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nosler partition, right between the blinkers!
Lights out, baby!
:0(

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For the sake of the debate, let's rule out head shots... since most people don't hunt that way anyway...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, heck...
Okay,how about a Ballistic Tip right through the pump!?
And, no wimpy varmint caliber either, but a 150gr 270 BT fired from a P64 M70.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Jeff Olsen:
Look here my good man, no fair! Did I not specify a competent individual using utmost care to shoot me in the head?
If they were to catch me after a meal, no doubt I�d be sleeping and easy to hit anyway!
Very well, new rules:
Sometime in the dim past I embarked on a mission to see how fast I could push a projectile out of a Ruger 77 in .308 Norma.
For what ever reason, I could not get bullets lighter than 130gr to really go, but I did get one batch of 125gr. Ballistic Tips to come out at an average of 3490fps, using IMR4350.
If I must be shot in the body, as you specify, then let it be with that load. I must admit that I have never used it on anything, not even a coyote.
Perhaps it�s a rash choice on my part, but I�m pretty sure I�d not hear the bang��
All the best.
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Very, very very interesting!

We all want our innards to be turned to jello...

I do understand, before one of the North Fork/TSX/MRX guys beats me up, that in a hunting scenario you cannot count on a straight shot into the heart/lungs. However... with proper calibers and keeping the velicities in the under-2900 fps range, I've never had a bullet, any bullet from any of a half-dozen calibers, fail to exit the animal. For that matter, I've never taken a shot where there was more than a few inches of deer between me and the vitals, either.

This is just an exploration; I'm not switching all my guns over to BT's tomorrow. But.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Probably an FMJ bullet with really [bleep] shot placement.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
here is something for you guys to ponder. Several years ago my buddys father was shot by another guy while out hunting. This was no accident they had been arguing over something for weeks.

Anyways the guy shot my budies dad from around 100yards in the chest with a 338. The bullet did not exit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make mine a cold silver bullet delivered at the velocity of a slow underhand toss. If I has to be shot then give me a church key and I'll poke a hole in the bottom of the can.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
......we're running out of things to discuss. The end is near....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
......we're running out of things to discuss. The end is near....

Well duh! What did you think would happen when CATC was removed from here? grin grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1moredeer, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 222ND, 54 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,252
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.