-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
I have an original .30 caliber M1 Carbine that was my Dad's and I would like to sell it. Does anyone know what it would be worth and where I can go to get it listed for sale?

Attached Images
c2.jpg (30.32 KB, 399 downloads)
c3.jpg (33.46 KB, 390 downloads)
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
from the 2 pics, its not original. Missing rear sight and a scope attached.

N
OP Offline
N
So if it isn’t original, can anyone tell me what it is worth?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Need to see more pics to get more detail

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Assuming it's an actual GI 30 Carbine, not a commercial clone and in decent shape, anywhere from $500 to over a Thou at today's prices. Multiple manufacturers of 30 Carbines from the WWII era. Most were made by the Inland Div. of GM. Some by other GM divisions, Winchester, Rock Ola, National Postal Meter, etc. Most were modified from their original configurations by the time Korea came about and have been thru multiple "redos" over the years.

Original 30 Carbines will have a flip rear sight and no bayonet lug front band. Was one at an estate sale near me a few years ago, WWII bring back. It fetched over a thou at the auction.

Many were given to foreign countries, quite a few of them eventually came back via Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).

Adjustable rear sights, bayonet lugs and had been redone over and over again. Some were pretty ratty, some like the ones given to various post war German police agencies, were pretty spiffy and commanded higher prices..

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Certainly no expert on these but a fairly early Standard Products in generally good shape (nice shooter, not collector) could bring $1100- $1600 (on the low side) if it's not not humped up parts-wise. The question will be how the scope is mounted. If just filling two 8-32 holes is all it needs to get back to normal configuration, that shouldn't ding the price terribly but if the receiver has been ground or otherwise altered, you'd have a nice parts gun. The fact that the rear sight is missing shouldn't matter as long as the dovetails aren't damaged.
I remember back in the '70's a local gun shop had a wooden barrel full of USGI carbines- $89.95 a piece. They are thru the roof now. Hell, people are paying $800 - $1000 for 1st gen. Universal commercial carbines (the ones largely interchangeable with the USGI carbines.

N
OP Offline
N
Thank you for all the great info. The rear sight is missing and the dovetail is still there. It does have a bayonet lug on the barrel. The scope was mounted with three screw I believe. I have five magazines and a cloth green mag holder, which I believe he brought back from the Army when he was over seas.

N
OP Offline
N
I meant it isn’t a replica.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As it sites now, my top offer would be $500. I am not trying to be a jerk. Those photos are semi useless. I might not take it even at that without pics to see things are not even worse. But 1100 to 1600, the gun has to be made right. Not hypothetical or could be right. Actually right. Filled in screw holes are collector value killer. That there alone can take a 2,000 collector gun down to 1,000 shooter. You all can tell me that is wrong. I sure not pay more that shooter dollars for a D&T carbine. At the very least, insist on good pics before tossing out a crazy number like 1600 on a bubba carbine.

Some M1 carbines came out original with bayonet lug and adjustable sights. It is a complicated subject and I had a mentor lay that on me a couple weeks back.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

N
OP Offline
N
So tell me what you want for pictures. Everyone seems to want to see something different. Let me know and I can put them on here. The reason I posted the pictures that I did is I had two guys and they both wanted to see the serial number.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The full rifle
Left and right side of action
Manufacturer
muzzle end of barrel

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought my first CMP Carbine probably 18-20 years ago? An Inland "rack grade" in fair condition, for around $450, delivered to my door by FedEx. Friends at our sportsmen's club who were into Garands and Carbines, took it apart and noted each and every part by manufacturer.

Everything but the wood was in good condition, even gauged the muzzle as very good. The rifle was more accurate than I'd expected it to be. Probably due to having a tight muzzle that hadn't been ruined by improper cleaning over the previous decades?

Came with a walnut four rivet hand guard, but the stock was stained birch that didn't really match the hand guard. Plenty of different variations in parts and stocks, as I recall the lore, like round bolts and flat bolts, other variations. As a half track crewman, my dad toted a Carbine in WWII, European Theater.

Have pics of the old boy and his rifle: Flip rear sight, no bayonet lug front band. Most sources indicate all Carbines were arsenal refitted with adjustable sights and bayonet lugs. Some by he end of the war, but all by Korea. My first Inland had parts from at least four different suppliers, had probably come back from Greece?

Maybe twelve years ago when CMP still had some Carbines, was at a gun show. Two guys had several Carbines that had come from CMP and jacked the prices up by at least $100 on them. One Winchester was priced at $200 more than the CMP price.

Neat little piece of American military history and fun to shoot. I'm somewhat biased, since my dad had carried one for years. Just had my Postal Meter version at the range this spring.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
N
OP Offline
N
Additional pictures

Attached Images
s1.jpg (9.29 KB, 234 downloads)
s2.jpg (9.49 KB, 239 downloads)
s3.jpg (11.97 KB, 231 downloads)
s5.jpg (12.81 KB, 221 downloads)
N
OP Offline
N
Please see attached pictures

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Well, the scope mount kills the collecting value of the receiver - drilling was needed for the mount, but it's a killer for a collector.

Assuming no import marks on the barrel and a GI issue stock, it's probably still $600 to 800 as a shooter, and for the parts in the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably done when they were practically giving them away, and I was too dumb to buy one!!

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Probably done when they were practically giving them away, and I was too dumb to buy one!!

Mike

Sunset Sports - Moscow, Idaho in mid-80s...pick one carbine out of a greasy crate of 10 each rifles, with multiple crates of rifles stacked next to the gun counter, about $250 each IIRC.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The stock has been cut. I am still at $500. But; that could be a good deal for someone who will buy a US GI stock and rear sight and willing to live with the plugged screw holes. Gun and one magazine. A sling and oiler is nice if you have it.

The scope, depends on what it is. Usually better to include a cheap scope. A quality scope always sell separate. Make sure the gun buyer gets the rings and complete base. How much work you want to do?

The pouch and magazines worth more separate than as a package. I dont know the market. $20 each? Check ebay or GunBroker. Or toss it all in and hope the buyer is not someone like me.

The $$$ best place for a seller is GunBroker. It is a sellers market. You need to be clear you will only ship to an FFL (dealer) and that you do not have an FFL yourself. You need an GB account or a friend with an account. Also be sure you get a copy of the buyer FFL up front and keep it. Email is fine. And make the phone call to verify the FFL is legit. I would start an auction at $500, no reserve. Most sellers like USPS money orders. Ship, adult signature & insured. List the magazines and one pouch as a separate lot, start at $50. Basically, you need to know something to do this.

The easy way is local classified to a resident of your home state. Assuming you are in North Dakota and that is not a communist state. You get cash and make out two copies of the bill of sale. The buyer has to be legal to own that in your state. If any doubt at all, do the transfer at a local gun shop and figure the cost into your asking price. Should be $25 (unless a commie state double that) I guess you could ask $750 and see what the market will bear?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,990
Posts18,499,895
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.