-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 42 skeet. Dove hunting is a riot but expensive. Cottontails are fun. I shoot skeet and sporting clays with my little 410 or I mean I try to shoot skeet and sporting clays. I shoot 2 1/2" #9s most of the time. There are some wonderful little 410, small receiver O/Us on the market. If you really want a challenge, try shooting clays with a 410 SxS that has double triggers. Anyway, just pulling a trigger is always fun. Gregory

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mine is Mossberg with a pistol grip and 18" barrel I bought for $100 ... I use it for home defense.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
POP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by avagadro
mine is Mossberg with a pistol grip and 18" barrel I bought for $100 ... I use it for home defense.

what load?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
C
I use mine for Grouse up in northern Alberta.
They dont fly away and make great Appys before dinner. Easy to clean as well. Best part of our trip.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by POP
Originally Posted by avagadro

what load?

I'd use high brass 3" magnum #6s or #4s.

Neither will go much through double drywall, so those in other rooms aren't in as much danger, but those on the receiving end would damned sure be taken out.

In fact, I have #6s in my 16 gauge Rem. Model 11 Sportsman stashed in the house, for EXACTLY that reason.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just regular game loads (6 or 7 1/2).

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad sold the .32 Colt auto that he had used when he was the town Marshall in Varina, IA (head for your maps) to buy me my first shotgun, an H&R break-action .410. In later years, I read many times about what a poor choice he had made by handicapping me with a gun that shot such a tight pattern. Always seemed to me that that gun taught me that just because you are throwing out a cloud of shot rather than a single bullet you still have to aim carefully to hit what you are aiming at. Still have it in the safe, by the way. It is one that isn't going anywhere. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the 410 good for?

Rattle snakes.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I almost thought we were gonna make it through without somebody shooting grouse on the ground . . .

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How do flush a bird that is just as likely to run into the nearest brush line? I'd say only about a third of the grouse in my niegborhood actually flush. Most just stand there and stare at you untill you get to within about fifteen steps and then run straight for the thickest brush they see.

I suppose I'm just not a "sportsman". I have no problem with wacking a grouse on the ground. I often wait until my deer are holding still before I shoot them aswell. I know I should shout at them and wait untill thier at a dead run but I just like my kills to be quick and clean. Never lost a bird that was holding still when I shot it. Even with a 410ga.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where is it written that you are guaranteed a kill every time you see a game animal? So only wingshoot that third that flush; that's about my ratio, too, as they're just as likely to bugger off into the bush instead. But I'll follow them until they do flush. You can get clean kills wingshooting, grouse are easy to kill.

I know you're not saying it, but one could argue that you are saying you find shotgunning birds on the ground 15 feet away to be a challenge. I am certain that your shooting skill is far better than that.

P.S. The deer analogy is silly. I don't know why people seem to always come up with that comparison.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No shooting grouse off the ground isn't challenging. The truth is I'm not really a grouse hunter. For me grouse are tasty targets of opportunity. Same as rabbits. I generally carry a .22/410 O/U so that if they are holding still I don't have to pick any shot out of the birds. Not really much of a problem with a 410 wich is why I like it but sometimes I carry a 20ga. 95% of my grouse are taken while preseason scouting for deer or elk.

So in short, if you or I were out hunting for grouse for the sport of it then OK lets just take them on the wing. Most of the time for me I just want meat for camp that night. Less challenging for sure but they still taste great.

P.S. the deer comparison is silly but I've had people ask, "Whats sporting about killing deer with a rifle?" Somtimes it's not very sporting. Some of the deer I've killed never had a chance. But they still taste great.

Last edited by wallaby; 06/27/07.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wallaby
How do flush a bird that is just as likely to run into the nearest brush line? I'd say only about a third of the grouse in my niegborhood actually flush. Most just stand there and stare at you untill you get to within about fifteen steps and then run straight for the thickest brush they see.

I suppose I'm just not a "sportsman". I have no problem with wacking a grouse on the ground. I often wait until my deer are holding still before I shoot them aswell. I know I should shout at them and wait untill thier at a dead run but I just like my kills to be quick and clean. Never lost a bird that was holding still when I shot it. Even with a 410ga.

Good for you Wallaby! You sound like a sensible, practical fellow. wink

When I'm hungry and want to "eat," I've sluced grouse too. laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by POP
What is the 410 good for? What do you use yours for grin ?
Thanx fellas

My Stevens model 311 S/S and Stevens model 240 O/U just stand in the safe and look nice and continue to appreciate in value. grin I've never gotten around to firing either of them. I've fired a few .410 shells from one of my Savage 24's a couple times.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot one several times a week...at skeet. Great fun, and surprisingly effective. Rabbits, squirrels, doves = fun.

BUT...shoot it too much and your shooting with a REAL gun will go to hell.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I once saw a good sized Indiana whitetail buck that had been killed with a .410 loaded with 7 1/2 shot. Sixteen year old boy was hunting cottontails when bedded down buck jumped up in from of him. Bang! One shot venison.

At the short ranges involved in house defense the .410 would get it done but I would prefer larger shot. #4 ?, or slug.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by BAGTIC
I once saw a good sized Indiana whitetail buck that had been killed with a .410 loaded with 7 1/2 shot. Sixteen year old boy was hunting cottontails when bedded down buck jumped up in from of him. Bang! One shot venison.

Well, I hope he got cited or turned in for this action because it is illegal!....for one thing rabbit season comes in when gun season is over and its archery only and he shot it with birdshot....do tell me he was cited! mad

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I use my .410 for hunting tree rats....makes you a better stalker since it's effective range is limited alot more than the 12 or 20...it doesn't tear the meat up so bad either.... but all in all I love mine...good hunting!

My first gun was an Ithaca single bbl .410, wish I still had it. Now my only shotgun is a Stoeger .410 SxS. If you are a good shot with a .410 then with a 12 you should be world class.
I taken grouse on the ground with an Ithaca single shot leaver .22.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have used 410's for Rabbits( both Cottontails and jacks) Squirrels,Racoons,grouse,doves, quail, pheasants and as a boy ( before non toxic shot was mandated) 2 ducks. I still use one today and rarely feel handicapped. The little gun does well as long it is pointed properly. The only reason I don't use it mor eoften these idays is the cost of ammo!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,058
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.