Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey, I was surfing the 'Broker for "other than name brand rifles" and found Golden Eagle. ????? I seem to briefly rmember a little bit about them from the 70's. Kind of a wanna-be competitor to Weatherby? IS thier product, that being the 7000 series rifle, the copy of any existing action today? What was the quality level of the gun? Anyone with expereince?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Golden Eagle I remember was a "06" lenght action made in Japan. It was just about "spit & image" of the Sako L61, and overall quite nicely made. Pedro

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The action resembles the Colt/Sauer design with a tang safety and rear locking lugs. But the trigger is a bit rougher than a Colt/Sauer.
A hunting pard had one in 7 Rem mag back in the late 1970's and it was an accurate rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one in a 25'06, it was a great looking rifle, the wood was better than anything that i've owned since. I had some accuracy problems though, it was my first big game rifle (12 years old), so it was before i reloaded. Just didn't like the way it shot.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Do a search of Greydog's posts about the Golden Eagle. He's been a gunsmith for a long time (a VERY good gunsmith), his opinion is fun to read.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My best friend has one in 22-250...
Good gun..Nice stock...Shoots lights out...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They also cam in 375H&H length actions. Checked one about 5-6 years ago.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rick F, I did a search as suggested and found nothing. Can you give me a clue?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=29&Number=1283542&Searchpage=1&Main=115322&Words=%2BGolden+%2BEagle+greydog&topic=0&Search=true#Post1283542

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is an update:

I am going to pass on the gun, for two reasons. i too kinda-sorta remembered these guns, so I called a friend that had a shop in the 70's. He sold some and rated tham as just OK. They were Weatherby wanna-be's that he recalled being called "Bronze Buzzards" Anyway, the guns were pretty well made, but the triggers were a bit roguh and the actions wer susally just screwewd into the stock with no thought a to free-floating or glass-bedding or whatever. Per him, by the time you did all that and fixed the trigger too you had bought a Weatherby Mark V. He never had any problems with the stock splitting, but this is SC, so there were few if any magnum calibers sold 'round these parts.

HERE is what clinched for me to back out of this - I looked at the pics and liked what I saw. I was working a trade, so I asked for more pics of the gun, and he sent them. the GB pics looked pretty good but were just a faint touch fuzzy in some pics, and now I know why. When I closely examined the pics, you can JUST pick up the WEATHERBY logo in one of the pics! I thiknk that guy is trying to get one over on me!

_
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had one, in .375 H&H. Beautiful rifle- a little too pretty for what I ended up using it up for. I took it to Alaska for my brown bear hunt. Killed a monster brown the last day of my hunt.

However- the constant exposure to rain, high humidity, and salt air made daily maintenance a constant chore. Not to mention worry about what was happining to that wood stock, bringing it from dry Colorado climate to the Aleutian Islands.

Once home, I cleaned it up, removed minor rust spots, and sold it.

The rifle itself functioned fine, was fairly accurate, and certainly did the job when called upon.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,886
Posts18,497,845
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.