Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any of you youngsters ever see one?

My grandparents had one at the cabin in 1949.

There was one in a shed on the farm, not in use.

They talked on the radio, that the doors should be removed so children playing would not get locked in, and suffocate.

I wish I had both back now. laugh $$$$$
[Linked Image from salliebingham.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Children or radio?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
My grandfather used one until '59 or 60. Would have used it longer but the ice truck stopped the route & he finally bought a fridge. Block ice was still available in town but papaw lived 12 miles away & he didn't have Yeti cooler at the time.

The huckster quit running routes about that time as well.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen them before....when I lived in the bush. We also put up a large supply of ice to sell to people who visited the remote fishing lodge.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Kids did get locked in them and in old fridges, too, until the government mandated magnetic latches like we have today. Kids died in them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We didn't have an ice box like that.
That's a nice piece of furniture.

Mom called the galvanized box setting on the front porch the ice box. The local milk man would drop off glass jars of fresh milk each week and pick up the empties. It was just an insulated box until Mom could get it into the electric refrigerator. I Think it's in the attic. The ice box.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife's parents had one that had been rescued and restored from the farm in ND. Her mom used it to store her china. Wife's brother has it now.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

My Grandmother, used a ice box in her kitchen, there was a guy that drove a ice wagon he pulled by a grey mare, he would come by every few day's, and bring block ice, he would chip a block that would fit in the icebox and carry it in with ice tongs on his shoulder, us kids would get the ice chips to suck on, we thought it was a big treat. Rio7

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
They are highly sought after antique$!!!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I remember the fridges with big condensers on top. Introduced in 1927, sold for 300.00.

Monitor top

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 05/28/21.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have seen a whole bunch of those. My father grew up with one and there was still one for years as long as I can remember on my grandmothers back porch. She didn’t use it as an ice box when I was growing up, but used it for a number of items- especially fruit and veggies that didn’t need to be refrigerated.
Later on my father used to buy them and refinish them in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. He sold them in a antique shop after he retired at age 50. They were a hot item and people loved them. People would often use them to use for wine storage ( without the ice). Those ice boxes were one of his hottest selling items. I have seen some ones that were beautiful works of art.

My fathers hobby and at one time profession after retiring was in antiques. All of the furniture in our house growing up was antiques. At one time I asked my father why, and he said when they got married in 1958 and had a couple kids early on; one of the least expensive ways to get furniture was antiques. He would restore and re- finish them and was a master at doing that. Plus he said they ( antiques in general) were a lot better quality than buying new- and that was even in pre- IKEA 1959/1960. Plus, the town we lived in was on the border of Pennsylvania in Upstate NY. Older good antique furniture was plentiful in the farm land auctions and estate sales. Some of my fondest memories were spent out on those farms during an auction. Me and my cousins got into all kinds of mischief.

Seeing that pic and this thread brought back all sorts of memories. I have lifted and carried hundreds of those when I was young.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Now I'll have to take a picture of the Frigidaire that replaced the box at the cabin. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Theres a tavern in northern NYS that has been there forever.
They still have the original Oak ice boxes in the kitchen. A local mechanical maven converted them to refrigeration so they are still n use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My great aunt had one in a shed. It was not in good shape, but she didn't want to get rid of it. Sometime in the last 30 years, it disappeared.

Had a neighbor in S. La. that bought one of the old refrigerators with the condenser and motor on top at an auction. It was in really good condition, but the elect. cord was bad. On a whim, he replaced the cord, and it ran fine. Took his fridge out of the kitchen, put it in the utility room, and put the old one in the kitchen. You had to really listen to hear it running, a lot quieter than the ones made today.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They were common when my dad was a boy. One of his teenage jobs was helping the ice man deliver ice. Dad loved to tell the story of one very hot August when you could deliver a 50# block of ice to a 10th floor apartment and slip it under the door.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GRIZZ is papering everything with this picture.

LOL

#graffitiartist

😬🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The Frigidaire that replaced the icebox at the cabin. It must be as old as I am.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We had two of them,still in use back in the 50's. I think they are still in the basement of my folk's
where my brother lives now.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My icebox is marked as being made by Herrick, Waterloo Iowa. It sits in our living room as an entertainment center.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,946
Posts18,498,979
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.