Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
For those that have bought one, how has the magazine functioned? Any issues with inserting a full magazine on a closed bolt? Any durability issues?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
only issue I had with the magazine was the fact that unnder recoil cartridges slide forward hard enough to flatten the tips of the bullets. that seems like a design flaw that apparently Kimber is aware of and just doesn't care

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by gitem_12
unnder recoil cartridges slide forward hard enough to flatten the tips of the bullets

Laws of physics are a beech . . .

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My neighbor was looking at one for his step son, who he has been hunting with for a few years now. I know nothing about them specially, but have had a couple Montanas that I really like. We started looking for another Montana, but can’t find squat.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have two, a 6.5 Creedmoor & a .243
Both shoot great. A lot of gun for the money.

I do like the magazines. Bought several extra magazines when they were on sale & consider them handy. Have had no problems.

The problems you might read about apparently occurred with the1st generation of magazines lacking internal space & binding. If you tilt the forward part of the follower down & look at the inside of the floor plate with a flashlight, the 2nd & 3rd generation magazines show a numeral 1 or 2, the 1 looks like a plain line. (first gen shows nothing)

The gentleman who designed a lot, if not all, of the Hunter features while he worked for Kimber is on this site & might chime in. He is a wealth of knowledge & insight.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
It looks like a lot of bang for the buck. I’ve found more and more recently, with all of the rifles now coming out with detachable magazines, that they will typically be the weak point of a design. Just like pistols really.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Montana used like new. It snapped on the first box of factory loads. first time in my life in a bolt action. The most expensive rifle I've ever owned also shoots like schitt.

I called Kimber and they want a fee to look at it. Most azzhole customer service ever.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

unnder recoil cartridges slide forward hard enough to flatten the tips of the bullets

Laws of physics are a beech . . .

laws of physics should be taken into consideration when designing such things. Not one of he various other detachble magazine rifles I use allow the cartridges to move under recoil

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
All of the bolt rifles I've owned flattened the tips of lead tipped bullets under recoil.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatammo
All of the bolt rifles I've owned flattened the tips of lead tipped bullets under recoil.

Yeah, it’s certainly not exclusive to Kimber rifles.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
only issue I had with the magazine was the fact that unnder recoil cartridges slide forward hard enough to flatten the tips of the bullets. that seems like a design flaw that apparently Kimber is aware of and just doesn't care

That has happened with every centerfire rifle of every brand I've ever owned with bullets with exposed lead tips .. a total of some hundreds of individual rifles. (I assume your "complaint" is tongue-in-cheek 'cause you've been around too long to be oblivious enough to think this is limited to Kimber. I'm just replying in case someone else is noob / greenhorn enough not to know it. The answer, if it is perceived to be a real problem, is to use polymer tipped bullets like Sierra "game changer", Nosler Ballistic Tip / Accubond, and Hornady ELD-X of course.)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_O_M

That has happened with every centerfire rifle of every brand I've ever owned with bullets with exposed lead tips .. a total of some hundreds of individual rifles. (I assume your "complaint" is tongue-in-cheek 'cause you've been around too long to be oblivious enough to think this is limited to Kimber. I'm just replying in case someone else is noob / greenhorn enough not to know it. The answer, if it is perceived to be a real problem, is to use polymer tipped bullets like Sierra "game changer", Nosler Ballistic Tip / Accubond, and Hornady ELD-X of course.)

Tom

I was talking about polymer tipped bullets, and I am not speaking of slight flattening, i am talking about mushed almost flush with the lead, like a penny on a traintrack flat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Light rifle, significant recoil, substantial recoil speed = tips hitting the mag box harder and flattening worse. Especially if you're talking about repeated impacts.

What bullets are you talking about? I've seen some plastic tips with slight flattening, but never anything as severe as you're describing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Light rifle, significant recoil, substantial recoil speed = tips hitting the mag box harder and flattening worse. Especially if you're talking about repeated impacts.

What bullets are you talking about? I've seen some plastic tips with slight flattening, but never anything as severe as you're describing.

it happened with both 162 ELDX and 140 Nosler accubonds. the magazines are junk you could shake them in your hand and the cartrisged would move back and forth

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
So, Tikka? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

it happened with both 162 ELDX and 140 Nosler accubonds. the magazines are junk you could shake them in your hand and the cartrisged would move back and forth

Sounds like a weak follower spring.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

the magazines are junk you could shake them in your hand and the cartrisged would move back and forth

You know, you could try seating the bullets so the loaded cartridge just barely fits the mag box. smirk

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

the magazines are junk you could shake them in your hand and the cartrisged would move back and forth

You know, you could try seating the bullets so the loaded cartridge just barely fits the mag box. smirk

or the company could not make [bleep] equipment

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

i called Kiber adn was told what I was experiencingw as a common problem that they were aware of. when I asked how to remedy it or if they had corected the problem I was "transferred to service" where "service" never picked up the phone

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatammo

I had a Weatherby 30-378 that would blow the Accubond tip off the next round in the magazine pan to be chambered.

Second shot, if needed, was a gaping hollow point.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 3,495 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,719
Posts18,534,975
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.