-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is kinda' funny, ...I've spent the afternoon dealing with a neighbor who found a guy lettin' himself into his back gate..."Looking for a lost dog"

Apparently this same pilgrim was seen parked in my rather rural driveway, Too.

3 hours after getting the initial skinny, ....I know the registry address for the vehicle....and pray that the legit owner isn't tied up, or in a freezer, dead robbed, "host" to Lord only knows what........this kinda' kwap...Happens.

As noted , ....we seem to be drifting more towards self deterministic soloutions....

That's cool with me....I intend to have a word or 2 with the fellow drivin' the vehicle ....over the comin' week.

Watch, wait, and stay cool.

important, ....that.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 08/16/07.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a Suburban stolen about ten years ago, couldn't figure out how the alarm didn't go off. Recovered it the same day in a housing project parking lot (why do we pay for their housing if they can afford cars?) by the Onstar GPS locator. Turned out a guy at the dealer ship was copying keys, noting home addresses, and selling the package to thieves. This was the same dealership that NOPD cleaned out during the storm.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too pushy on the key request for my taste. Criminals cmae seem nice when needed! You di the right thing!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Just yesterday I had to go into my next door neighbor's backyard fence to retrieve a ball that bounced in there when I was playing fetch with my dog, but I called him at work and asked him if he minded first. Wouldn't even go into my next door neighbor's backyard without asking permission.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Doesn't sound like paranoia to me Mr. Hawkeye. Gut feelings are to be heeded. That's just being careful...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
No f'kin' way should the shed be the same key as the house, nor should any reputable contractor need, want, nor ASK for a copy of your house key.

FWIW, I'd have all the locks changed ASAP, if I were you.... just in case.

Exactly... couldn't have said it better myself. Change your locks.

If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself you must have a friend or family member that can help you with it, it seriously is a simple do it yourself project. Any home depot, Lowes etc will have a large assortment of door sets to choose from.

"locksmith"? excuse me but ...WTF? no, no, no.... shed door needs replacing too huh? nice of him to point that out.

Jeesh.

If he is an actual practiced carpenter he would be able to gain entry by other means if necessary for any ill intent.... this seems unlikely though since he seems so persistant on acquiring a key.

either way, no sense in making it easy for him.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by shoot4fun
Another red flag the way I'm seeing the incident. Too much "polite" prying. Sorry, but I still think you are being cased and evaluated by them. Should have told them that your dog has been cited for biting without warning and that he's the best guard dog you've ever seen or heard about in the area.
In hind sight, I should have.

I'm sure you have already but in case not, check the laws in your state re: dog bites.. In TAX HELL WISCONSIN (unless it's been recently changed) a dog is not allowed a 'first bite'.

Good thing though that he's nervous of your dog. Problem is, if he comes around when you're not home the dog can be easily dispatched and then he has free reins of the house..

I would advocate getting a GOOD alarm system installed. Dogs + alarm can help quite a bit...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

Thanks, people. You all confirm my gut instinct on this situation. It was confusing, because he and his wife seem a regular happy couple, and really nice. Not the kind of people who would do something dishonest,

Trust me, Real Hawkeye... I know lots of people in prison who are wonderful people, and really nice, like you said. But they are in prison. They aren't there because they're great people; they're there because they've broken the law and been found guilty of at least one felony, sometimes more.

A person can be the nicest person in the world and then turn around and rob you blind. Don't let your guard down.

Penny

+1

The guy sounds fishy to me.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Redneck
I believe Wisconsin is a 2 bite state now which means the dog does get a first bite then the second time they get put down.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wis30-06shooter
Redneck
I believe Wisconsin is a 2 bite state now which means the dog does get a first bite then the second time they get put down.
Actually, doesn't it have more to do with the circumstances of the bites than the number of them? Man is raping my wife, and the family pet charges him and tears his ear off, this doesn't count on anyone's list as a dog bite leading to being put down or sued over.

This just happened, in fact, a couple of years ago in Central Park, NYC. A woman was walking her friendly mediums sized mutt in the park, and a man jumps out of a bush, knocks her down, and starts to rape her. The dog tore into him, bloodied his a$$, and chased him off, and this dog was not any closer to being put down by the authorities for it. I would think the same would be the case if a dog did his job in tearing a piece off of someone who broke into the house, too.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by okie
Doesn't sound like paranoia to me Mr. Hawkeye. Gut feelings are to be heeded. That's just being careful...
He called me back today and asked if I found the spare key yet. I just told him flat out that I decided I didn't want to let anyone have a copy of my house key, and that I don't mind having a seperate key for the storage space behind my car port. He seemed disappointed. I think that as soon as he installs it, I will take it to Ace to have the key changed for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think that as soon as he installs it, I will take it to Ace to have the key changed for it.

It would be interesting to rig up a hidden camera somewhere, and wait a day or so and see if you can manage to catch him on camera entering your shed with the extra key that I am sure he will keep for himself. And be sure to post a big "No trespassing" sign on your shed.

Of course, remove anything valuable from the shed before you start. I suppose you could buy a piece of posterboard and write on it, "Smile! You're on Candid Camera!" and leave that in the shed...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I think your right it would depend on the situation at least I would hope so.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
He never should have asked for a house key!

If anyone ever asks me that they are gone right NOW! the first time they ask.

that is something you just don't do!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by blammer
He never should have asked for a house key!

If anyone ever asks me that they are gone right NOW! the first time they ask.

that is something you just don't do!
It really took me by surprise, too. I think even my close friends would hesitate to ask for a copy of my house key.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You done good....don't give service peeps or labor a key to anything. I don't even give family a key.........

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,787
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.