Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Spearhead
[quote=Boomer454]I have no experience with the Leica, but with the Victory V8 2.8-20x56 and a variety of Swarovski Z6is and the Z8i 2-16x50.
Out of these, the Zeiss is easily my least favourite. It's a lot heavier than the Swarovskis, 8 ounces to be precise, and it cannot compete in terms of edge clarity and color contrast. The illumination unit on the Zeiss is also more awkward (to me, at least) since I have really gotten used to the day/night setting on the Swarovskis. Not to mention that 34mm stovepipe on the V8 which I just find plain unpleasant to look at.

Originally Posted by Boomer454
I have no experience with the Leica, but with the Victory V8 2.8-20x56 and a variety of Swarovski Z6is and the Z8i 2-16x50.
Thank you. Like I mentioned in my original post, I have and still use the older Zeiss diavari marked west Germany. I am leary of Zeiss now since they farmed out the original conquest to Meopta and one of the new scopes is made in Japan. I know Japanese glass is used a lot, it just is not the German Zeiss I used to know.

You do know that the Glass used in a Swaro and Zeiss as well as most top scopes comes from Schott which is owned by Zeiss? S&B has their own glass plant in Hungary.

Swaro makes fantastic binoculars , I own a 8x42 and 10x56 and they are the best. Their scopes not so much, I do not like their Exit pupil for one. I am down to one Swaro scope now a 2.4-12x50 and I can take it or leave it. The scopes from the German company that makes nothing but scopes are the best IMHO, that said my brother has a Leica Amplus and that appears to be a highly underrated scope.

I knew Zeiss and even Meopta use schott glass but did not know Zeiss owned them. I also know it’s the coatings that really do a lot for a scope.
I am not a fan of Swaro after owning one since 2001. Always like s&b just not the price and like the Polar but .....$ is S&B the company you speak of? I have friends in Europe and Leica is well liked and respected. They must have been horrible in the past because EVERYONE says they have come a long way. .....
thoughts?

Unless there is someone else that makes just strictly Alpha Scopes then S&B is who I meant. $ for the Polar? It's the best lowlight scope I have looked thru so far and it is priced with all the other top Alpha scopes. DO you need a Polar depends on you. A Meopta R1 will take you there as will others for less then Swaro, Zeiss and S&B top models.

Thank you Elk. No, I don’t need a Polar, but I’d sure like to have one . I’d like to have a Krieghoff too, but..... 😜

Guyintheswamp
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by koshkin
ILya, I absolutely agree. I’m stuck as a Zeiss loyalist, intrigued by the Leica, but know the Meostar makes absolute sense. So ridiculous how I’m digging myself into a deep hole with this back and forth BS. Wouldn’t be me if I didn’t stress and analyze it to death. It’s tiring and exhausting.

AJ

A little OCD does go a long way. Unfortunately, for many of us here, a little OCD is so far behind us that I can't even see it in the rear view mirror. Or maybe it's just me.

Zeiss has been hugely disappointing for me in the last few years, but the V8 is good.

ILya

ILya, when the salesman at the gun store showed me a Zeiss with made in Japan underneath, I couldn’t comprehend it.
I went from redfield tracker when I was 15 to a Zeiss diavari I worked all summer for when I was 18 and have stuck with Zeiss since 1984. I’m rambling, my apologies. I appreciate everyone’s opinion.

AJ

Guyintheswamp
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Leica has been in and out of the riflescope market so often I wouldn't even consider one. Don't see what they have to offer anyway that someone else doesn't (Meopta). Glass quality is down the list a few slots as to what I would consider most important in a scope anyway, as anything a fraction of the cost will get you past legal shooting light nowadays.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I think I am actually going to give Meopta a try. I haven’t bought a scope in 20 years that I was just exploring all that is available. It’s overwhelming the number of brands.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Leica has been in and out of the riflescope market so often I wouldn't even consider one. Don't see what they have to offer anyway that someone else doesn't (Meopta). Glass quality is down the list a few slots as to what I would consider most important in a scope anyway, as anything a fraction of the cost will get you past legal shooting light nowadays.

Guyintheswamp
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I hear you spearhead. If in your shoes I'd be all over a Meopta R2.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks JG . I tend to buy once cry once type thing . It has served me well paying more for quality 👍🏻

Originally Posted by JGRaider
I hear you spearhead. If in your shoes I'd be all over a Meopta R2.

Guyintheswamp
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by koshkin
ILya, I absolutely agree. I’m stuck as a Zeiss loyalist, intrigued by the Leica, but know the Meostar makes absolute sense. So ridiculous how I’m digging myself into a deep hole with this back and forth BS. Wouldn’t be me if I didn’t stress and analyze it to death. It’s tiring and exhausting.

AJ

A little OCD does go a long way. Unfortunately, for many of us here, a little OCD is so far behind us that I can't even see it in the rear view mirror. Or maybe it's just me.

Zeiss has been hugely disappointing for me in the last few years, but the V8 is good.

ILya

ILya, when the salesman at the gun store showed me a Zeiss with made in Japan underneath, I couldn’t comprehend it.
I went from redfield tracker when I was 15 to a Zeiss diavari I worked all summer for when I was 18 and have stuck with Zeiss since 1984. I’m rambling, my apologies. I appreciate everyone’s opinion.

AJ

"Made in Japan" would not phase me all that much, but a few V4 and V6 samples I have seen were not terribly consistent. Terra was actually quite consistent, but unfortunately it was consistently aweful.

ILya

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S

"Made in Japan" would not phase me all that much, but a few V4 and V6 samples I have seen were not terribly consistent. Terra was actually quite consistent, but unfortunately it was consistently aweful.

ILya[/quote]

I just wasn’t expecting it at all. I hadn’t kept up with scopes in years . I drive a old land cruiser, so I’m all about Japan.

Last edited by Spearhead; 06/01/21.

Guyintheswamp
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The V8 has great glass but sucks in the repeatability and reliability dept, this from the Zeiss rep I know.
They also have very little elevation given the tube size, If you don't twist turrets that might not be a big deal but for me it is.
My friend put one on a long range gun and it wouldn't dial out to 1000 yds, not enough elevation.

I have used many Swaro X-5I and love them, the glass is great and so are the turrets and illumination, my favorite scope by far.
Have not used the R-2 but have heard good things about them.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by hillbill
The V8 has great glass but sucks in the repeatability and reliability dept, this from the Zeiss rep I know.
They also have very little elevation given the tube size, If you don't twist turrets that might not be a big deal but for me it is.
My friend put one on a long range gun and it wouldn't dial out to 1000 yds, not enough elevation.

I have used many Swaro X-5I and love them, the glass is great and so are the turrets and illumination, my favorite scope by far.
Have not used the R-2 but have heard good things about them.

It is really disappointing that Zeiss is not Zeiss. Nothing worse than living off a name. From my concern and the several comments, I cannot justify spending the money on a Zeiss product again. It’s not for me, I’m sure it works great for others and I don’t knock that.

Guyintheswamp
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Leica Magnus and Zeiss Victory HT. Both used for still hunting. I like them both. I have had 2 Meopta R1. I’ve not owned nor looked through the R2. To the op, Leica Magnus is better to my eyes and my young son’s eyes as well. Incredible clarity and resolution.

I’ve talked to the Leica rep over the phone several times over the years before making purchases. He was accessible and friendly.

The Magnus is a beast.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by DugE
I have a Leica Magnus and Zeiss Victory HT. Both used for still hunting. I like them both. I have had 2 Meopta R1. I’ve not owned nor looked through the R2. To the op, Leica Magnus is better to my eyes and my young son’s eyes as well. Incredible clarity and resolution.

I’ve talked to the Leica rep over the phone several times over the years before making purchases. He was accessible and friendly.

The Magnus is a beast.

DugE,

Thank you. I spoke to Leica rep today and there are phasing out the Magnus in the US and focusing on the Amplus and PRS in the US.
There is no place within 4 hrs on New Orleans that has a Magnus to look through. Actually, nobody has the R2 either. Stores are for I g people to just buy online if they aren’t going to stock products.

Guyintheswamp
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
If you’re in NO have you checked with McCoys in Mobile, they have a pretty good selection on high end optics, to bad the place in Hammond closed shop, they stocked some serious glass a few years back. Vans in Jackson is another place you may want to check.

Last edited by Xycod; 06/03/21.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes I went to McCoys (son goes to Spring Hill) they didn’t have it. The shop in Hammond is owned by the Sport optics guy and when I spoke to a rep, they steered me away from Leica and pushed Swaro hard. Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by Xycod
If you’re in NO have you checked with McCoys in Mobile, they have a pretty good selection on high end optics, to bad the place in Hammond closed shop, they stocked some serious glass a few years back. Vans in Jackson is another place you may want to check.

Guyintheswamp
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Yes I went to McCoys (son goes to Spring Hill) they didn’t have it. The shop in Hammond is owned by the Sport optics guy and when I spoke to a rep, they steered me away from Leica and pushed Swaro hard. Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by Xycod

I'm in the Jackson area and should be getting my 56mm Magnus back soon; you're more than welcome to take a look through it if you're ever in the area! I believe Van's still had a few on the shelf but they were also pushing Swaro pretty hard when I asked about ordering the Magnus I wanted, so they may have cleared em out already. Right now I'm on the fence between getting another one or trying out an Amplus 1-6, but I'm not a huge fan of the thin and wide reticle compared to the excellent CD-i they have!

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I’ve got a Magnus I’ll probably sell soon, it’s nib never mounted if your interested. 1.8x12x50 with standard duplex, it’s the non Illuminated model. Again great glass and fov, and it’s built like a Schmidt, the guy that designed the Magnus is the same guy that designed the el’s and Zeiss sf’s if I’m not mistaken. PM if interested.

Last edited by Xycod; 06/11/21.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Much appreciated. I agree about the amplus.

Guyintheswamp
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bman940
Spear., If you want bang for your buck, Check out the Meopta MeoStar R1/R2 line of rifle scopes. Great quality for less than you will spend on some other name-brand optic's. When it comes to low light visibility, the MeoStar line is where you want to put your $. I am not just saying this because I do some work with Meopta (no sales), I'm saying it because I have seen it first hand. A number of my friends have now switched over to MeoStar scopes/binos, after borrowing mine and seeing the difference. There's a reason other companies have used Meopta glass in their pwn products.

I have not bought a R2 but the R1's are really good in lowlight.

+1 on the R1. I’d love to try an R2 but the last I checked they’re only available with a BDC reticle and that just doesn’t work for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DugE

The Magnus is a beast.

DugE,

Thank you. I spoke to Leica rep today and there are phasing out the Magnus in the US and focusing on the Amplus and PRS in the US.
There is no place within 4 hrs on New Orleans that has a Magnus to look through. Actually, nobody has the R2 either. Stores are for I g people to just buy online if they aren’t going to stock products.

Spear, I believe the Magnus was discontinued quite a while back. Thinking a year or so ago. All of the big online optics stores had them on closeout with huge discounts at the time. With that being said, you’re probably going to have a hard time finding one on the shelf somewhere. A few places to check if you haven’t already to look through some alpha glass is Lafayette Shooters, Simmons sporting goods (Bastrop) and maybe Van’s (Brandon,MS). Good luck with your decision.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The R2 comes in a 4C and 4K besides the BDC 2 and 3.

Guyintheswamp
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 52 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.