Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Custer family lost 5 members at The Little Big Horn that day.
George himself,
Tom, who was 5 years younger than the General, had won two Congressional Medals of Honor in the Civil War. He was the commander of E Company, but was serving as an aide to the General.
Boston Custer was 8 years younger than George, he was listed as a scout for the expedition.
Henry “Autie” Reed was George’s nephew, son of his older sister Lydia. He was 18 and was listed as a cattle herder.
Lt James Calhoun was married to Custer’s younger sister Margret. IIRC, Calhoun also commanded one of the 5 companies which made up Custer’s battalion that day.
Everyone has their own opinion about Custer, but I find the man to be a very interesting character. Many things about him I admire, and some not so much.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borchardt
"Custers Horses" is a very good narrative of the battle and the lead up to it. Custer supposedly had a history of over working his unit's mounts and did so trying to beat everyone else to the LBH. Upon arrival, the horses were so beat down they were next to worthless, leading to the disorganized response to Indian attacks.
I believe you are right about the horses. The men were just as exhausted.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of the things I find interesting about the battle is CPT Weir's push to the north. Apparently he watched the end of the battle from what is now Weir's point, but never discussed it. He was transferred to recruiting duty in NY soon after and was dead before the end of the year due to complications associated with alcoholism. He never disclosed what he saw that day.

For the Civil War buffs, Sheridan gifted the table that was used for the signing of surrender of the confederate forces to Custer.

Custer was stationed here in Elizabethtown KY after the war for the reconstruction efforts, and to help put down the KKK. Of course he spent most of his time up in Louisville mucking it up with VIPs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One less yankee.

I’ve always liked American history especially the West. We took a family vacation to Yellowstone about 10 years ago and stopping to see where battle took place was one of the highlights of the trip for me. The terrain isn’t steep by any stretch but is very rolling. Once the initial mistake was made it was easy to see how it would turn into a numbers game while using the rolling prairie to a tactical advantage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s been nearly 30 years since I’ve visited the battlefield.
I’d like to see it again someday.
Every thing I’ve read leads me to believe Custer was an arrogant asswhole.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BamBam
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BamBam
Crazy, last night I watched the twilight zone.It was about the Little Big Horn.

The tank crew that lost its way?

Yes, I had no idea that it was 145 years ago today. Anybody know any good books about The battle? I’d love to read more about it.

Just know that the White folks were the villains. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

It is nice to see that Indian Natives are no longer seen as wild savages. There are some good modern movies about ......... at the Little Big Horn. One is called Son of the Morning Star.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Based on my last walk through the area, about three quarters of the deaths could have been caused by snakebite.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For those who visited the battlefield, any spooky experiences?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
None here but it felt a little surreal. Probably like visiting any historic battlefield.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
None here but it felt a little surreal. Probably like visiting any historic battle field.

My experience as well. Same for Wounded Knee.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I’ve got one of these. Custer allegedly had a pair at LBH in .442 Tranter. Dunno if its a fact.

Mine is in .450 Adams (.450 Boxer).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I recall reading that somewhere before, Bob.

Ever shoot yours ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
It is nice to see that Indian Natives are no longer seen as wild savages. There are some good modern movies about ......... at the Little Big Horn. One is called Son of the Morning Star.
Why don't you go visit Pine Ridge Rez on commodities day or just walk around it at night?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I’ve got one of these. Custer allegedly had a pair at LBH in .442 Tranter. Dunno if its a fact.

Mine is in .450 Adams (.450 Boxer).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I recall reading that somewhere before, Bob.

Ever shoot yours ?

Never have.

Ya know???? I need to build up some ctgs. Got bullets. Make up some brass. Load with holy black. Too many projects.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slavek

No one has seen the Indians as savages for about 50 years at least but....

The Crow Indians who guided Custer and the other cavalry columns against the predominantly Lakota camp on the Little Big Horn did so to save the lives of their own people, the Little Big Horn was far inside Crow territory and the Lakotas and Cheyennes had killed far more Crows than the White folks ever did.

Close to half the Lakotas at the Little Big Horn had comes off the reservation to get with their holdout relatives at the sun dance bringing their Agency rations with them, which did much to feed the huge gathering. After the repulse and killing of Custer’s men it was common knowledge among the Indians that severe retribution in the coming months was imminent. Probably most of the Lakotas returned to the relative safety of the reservation, which at that time was enormous.

In the winter of ‘76/‘77 the remaining holdouts were relentlessly hunted down by the US Cavalry, Sitting Bull and his followers famously fleeing to Canada. Another group of Lakotas was less fortunate, they, they were surprised at their winter camp by a column led by George Crook guided by Pawnees, who like the Crow had suffered much at the hands of the Lakotas.

Crook was able to surprise the Lakota camp because they had been up all night celebrating a scalp dance. Despite their desperate situation at the very end of their era when their world was collapsing around them, the men of the band had gone to the time and trouble to go out against the Shoshones and had returned with thirty scalps of men, women and children.

What on earth were they thinking? If they weren’t savages they were at least decidedly different from us.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
General George A Custer and the 7th Cavalry rode down the Little Big Horn River and into history. The end of the road for Custer and the 5 companies he led.
And it was also the beginning of the end of the mighty Sioux and Cheyenne Nations.
7mm

Like dumbassess…to their demise lol

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
If y’all can get hold of a copy of "The Life of George Bent" by Hyde, I highly recommend it.

Nothing really to do with LBH. But excellent southern Cheyenne perspective. Bent was a decently educated ( back in Missouri) 1/2 white 1/2 southern Cheyenne. George Bent went thru a series of interviews by the author. Lots of good internal Native politics explained. And a damn good read. Lots of excellent back stories.

Bent knew most of the “heavies" among both Native and Whites in the area of the time

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Which side are you talking about?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Which side are you talking about?

I chortled! 👍

Founder

WS

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Custer was a great American and an exceptional soldier.

I admire everything about him.

Revisionist historians can all eat a dick. Their stories are lies.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
As I read the excellent comments on the original post by 7mm, I cannot help but ponder if there may be parallels between the indian nations homeland security issues of yesteryear and ours today.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,720
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.