Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ideas on filtering, and treating rain water to drink?

First, do a rain dance......

For the last 150 years, minimum, people have roamed the desert trying to make a living in it, including the most unlikely places. Every place has been evaluated, and just about every place has seen homesteading attempts. There are abandoned homestead, even abandoned towns all over the high desert in these parts. And most of those were abandoned in higher rain periods than we are seeing now.

If you are so stone poor that you can't buy a little better tract of land than pure desert, work a second job for a few years and upgrade. There are still a lot of old abandoned mining claims and in holdings in the mountains that are available. With curretn solar power technology, they are much more liveable than they have ever been.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Esox357
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Joined yesterday. .gov much?

Exactly

Next he'll be promoting the shot.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We have lots of "cedar rats" around here, very few make it more than a year. Most cant make it 6 months. They think it would be cheap to live in the bonnies but it is not.

Most have to make 2 or 3 trips a week to town for water. There are 2 pay by the gallon water stations. They have traliers with one or two tanks on it. You know water is a problem when the ranchers have to haul trom town.
The county requires a septic system....
Very expensive to get reliable power.
The dirt roads get very rough when there is high traffic on them. Kills vehicles and lots of tires.
Roads turn into a muddy mess when it rains makes getting to town difficult and sometimes impossible when it floods.
Lately the meth monsters have found it fairly easy to raid the home/cabin/RV/tent when folks leave. They take anything not bolted down, sometimes the bolts dont stop them.
No fire/EMS service
Can get very cold in the winter and hotter than hades in the summer.
Predators WILL get to small livestock.

It is not impossible, the old time homesteaders did it, but without reliable water your chances are slim. A person needs a written plan and adequate money to make a decent go of it.

Last edited by hitandmiss; 07/08/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by hitandmiss

Roads turn into a muddy mess when it rains makes getting to town difficult and sometimes impossible when it floods.

Mud, oh s*t I could never live there, but then on second thought mud and floods could be a good thing in the desert.

Last edited by OldHat; 07/08/21.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by iHunt20
I've been looking into getting as distanced as possible from large populations and wildly out of control emboldened government. It's how I want to live my life and I don't care to debate the merits.

I have a lot of experience with cold-weather survival and self-sufficiency, but Northern land is much more expensive. There are small high desert plats that are extremely affordable, because they're in the desert. People do have self-sufficient homesteads in this kind of climate. Solar powered refrigeration, rainwater collection, cisterns, greenhouses, and small livestock such as chickens.

What concerns me is my lack of experience in this kind of climate. Also not having as many meat hunting opportunities. But I could afford a lot more equipment and structures with the much cheaper land. Perhaps more socially interesting on occasion.

Any thoughts/advice/ramblings would be greatly appreciated.

You are looking at the wrong end of the country, if you can't afford the mountains out there. There are plenty of hollers in Appalachia and the southeastern US that a man could more or less disappear into, live on squirrels and bluegill and sweet potatoes, and only go into a small town whenever it suited him.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hard to survive on 2-3 inches of precipitation a year.

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
High desert can be Washington to Arizona! More information on where, or everything is speculation!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by auk1124
I've been looking into getting as distanced as possible from large populations and wildly out of control emboldened government. It's how I want to live my life and I don't care to debate the merits.

I have a lot of experience with cold-weather survival and self-sufficiency, but Northern land is much more expensive. There are small high desert plats that are extremely affordable, because they're in the desert. People do have self-sufficient homesteads in this kind of climate. Solar powered refrigeration, rainwater collection, cisterns, greenhouses, and small livestock such as chickens.

What concerns me is my lack of experience in this kind of climate. Also not having as many meat hunting opportunities. But I could afford a lot more equipment and structures with the much cheaper land. Perhaps more socially interesting on occasion.

You are looking at the wrong end of the country, if you can't afford the mountains out there. There are plenty of hollers in Appalachia and the southeastern US that a man could more or less disappear into, live on squirrels and bluegill and sweet potatoes, and only go into a small town whenever it suited him.

Are you a realtor, or trying to sell land? Your absolutely right, the only drawback around middle Georgia is the summer heat and negros. The Georgia - North Carolina line due east a 100 miles or due west for 500 miles a person could make a pretty good go of living off-grid and not just trying to survive.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

There are Reverse Osmosis(RO) systems out there that don't require power to operate that will handle almost everything you'll run across, but require periodic filter changes.

Not only is water quantity an issue, but water quality. Someone may pick a spot for a well, drill the well, produce all the volume you could ever use, only to discover that it's contaminated with salts (quite common in this part of NM), heavy metals (less common), or hydrocarbons (least common).

I know of one ranch well around here that has water so contaminated with magnesium and potassium salts that one glass (if you could get past the smell of hydrogen sulfide) will give you the greatest colon cleanse you'd ever experience. They pump water from the Pecos River, run it through a particulate filter, water softener, charcoal filter and a RO system to get potable water.

It's best to just find good water first. Everywhere in this part of the world has a Water District Office that can give advise on water availability and quality.

If I were looking for an off-grid location, those folks would be first on my list, before I even talked with a Realtor.

Ed

That is so true!

I lived for almost four years in a golf community here along New Mexico's Turquoise Trail (Rt 14) between Santa Fe and Albuquerque, that had relatively unpleasant water piped in at some expense from over ten miles away. It was a pretty location but with many issues besides the water. Later, the lease owner wanted me to buy it, so I looked for something better and closer to town.

Instead, I found a very special place on a quite hilly five acres, just a minute off Interstate 40 and Route 66, backing up against a national forest, where a wealthy doctor had built himself a pretty fancy log cabin hunting lodge 75 years ago.

Best of all, since it was on the eastern slope of the Sandia Mountains, which caught all the rain as clouds came over the top from Albuquerque, it had an arroyo running through it, two rock ponds and a well with its clean water source only 18 feet deep! Talk about a rarity! They can be found, but one has to look for them.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Tyrone
There are reasons the Indians of the SW were among the poorest in North America.

Too drunk to work? Eat up with The Beetus’ ?
Dead horse blocking the driveway?

Hahahaha!

You fugger.

Dead horse.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dess
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
A cistern in the desert? I've heard some far fetched shirt but this one is out there. Man can't survive in one place without a plentiful water supply.

I have a buried cistern. It was originally used by the well to store water so the pump only ran when needed. Well was dry when we bought the place, but we plan on storing rainwater in it. The water collected doesn't all need to come from the roof. A ground level collector can easily feed into a buried tank. One inch of rain on an acre is 27,000 gallons. Most is lost to evaporation, transpiration, runoff, and other means.

For the moment, we are looking to collect non-potable water for bathroom use and use jugs of potable water for drinking and cooking. It's not ideal, nor easy, but it is doable.

Here's a reference: Modern Potable Rainwater Harvesting: System Design, Construction, and Maintenance by Daniel M Brown
Do you own the water rights to collect the rainwater? This is going on in OR right now. People can't have rain barrels because someone else has the rights to all the runoff from their property. It doesn't matter how long your cistern has been there. It's who owns the water rights on the land that matters. If this western drought continues, many people are going to get bit when the rights holders send in the sheriff to shut down their water collecting systems. It's not theirs to collect.

Many desert homes were broken off from ranches that sold off land that wasn't good for grazing. They didn't sell the water rights along with the land.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Dess
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
A cistern in the desert? I've heard some far fetched shirt but this one is out there. Man can't survive in one place without a plentiful water supply.

I have a buried cistern. It was originally used by the well to store water so the pump only ran when needed. Well was dry when we bought the place, but we plan on storing rainwater in it. The water collected doesn't all need to come from the roof. A ground level collector can easily feed into a buried tank. One inch of rain on an acre is 27,000 gallons. Most is lost to evaporation, transpiration, runoff, and other means.

For the moment, we are looking to collect non-potable water for bathroom use and use jugs of potable water for drinking and cooking. It's not ideal, nor easy, but it is doable.

Here's a reference: Modern Potable Rainwater Harvesting: System Design, Construction, and Maintenance by Daniel M Brown
Do you own the water rights to collect the rainwater? This is going on in OR right now. People can't have rain barrels because someone else has the rights to all the runoff from their property. It doesn't matter how long your cistern has been there. It's who owns the water rights on the land that matters. If this western drought continues, many people are going to get bit when the rights holders send in the sheriff to shut down their water collecting systems. It's not theirs to collect.

Many desert homes were broken off from ranches that sold off land that wasn't good for grazing. They didn't sell the water rights along with the land.

I understand the legal requirements here, but the sad part is I doubt many of those ranchers have an effective way to retain the water runoff from heavy rains. I mean it's pretty obvious the most effective retention system is immediate capture with retention in an enclosed cistern which greatly limits losses. If the home owner uses the water it is almost certainly discharged back into the water table through drain field leaching or garden watering.

I don't think people are thinking very deeply about this subject.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by slumlord

Are you moving to the desert now too?

Slappy Hampster will be along shortly to tell us how he used to do it....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

if you spend much time in these areas you quickly realize the same now as then people put up homesites based on available water in the area. much of the natural springs are private with BLM land surrounding them. I come across some of these homesteads from time to time. some are active, some were dreamed of and never happened, ie they took out stuff to the land to do it, and many are long abandoned. none of which is a way I would want to live. I also have a friend who sold his house bought land in remote utah to setup a homestead. I haven't talked to him in a while but he quickly burned through all, most, or even beyond that in cash he had set aside to build his homestead. meanwhile the 2 houses he owned in the city have doubled in value over the last 3 years, but he sold them to move and doesnt' have the equity.

the problem is the same problem that has always been out there. earning a living. his finances basically dried up due to remoteness, and his being busy trying to build things himself. I think he basically lives in a shack that is partially complete. this is why its not more common, the old timers were better suited for life out there, they could raise a few animals and eek out a living but it was still tuff. nearly everyone with enough means to make it work, will not trade their life. Instead I would recommend just having a place to go, but not plan on living there long term.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Where are you currently located?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A major problem with the high desert is not the climate, but that you are only a tank of gas away from hordes of fruit and nuts. If I were a young man again, I would take a serious look at the Aleutians.Seriously, all the reasons people will say you are crazy is exactly why it is an awesome spot in a troubled world.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't see living in the middle of nowhere where it's so hot in the summer all you do is camp out in a trailer and so cold in the winter that you do the same.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I Also think you're better off just getting out of the city, live around like minded people with similar beliefs so that you can setup a relationship with them of mutual defense and trade.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Esox357
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Joined yesterday. .gov much?

Exactly

Next he'll be promoting the shot.

Reads like the tin foil hat brigade is out in force. Slow day at Infowars, fellas?
I, for one, enjoyed the topic and concept, but around here no good deed goes unpunished.

Agree with the non-conspiratorial comments here.......water, or lack of it, is *the* issue.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lots of good advice here.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,132
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.