Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
It seems like total confusion when it comes time to positively try to identify the proper scope rings given today's super large objective bells. A guy brought a Ruger M77 Mkll by today with the biggest 30mm Weaver Euro scope I have ever seen. Ignorant me, I says, no problemo, I'll order some extra high rings and have it back to you next week. So I start double checking before I order, internet search of brand name scope ring actual dimensions doesn't come up. Just generic charts saying use this ring with this diameter lens. Interpolating as best I can, it looks like this scope will not go on a Ruger...maybe it was made to go on a Picatinny rail. Ruger has assigned height numbers which mean absolutely nothing, just as bad as the designations, medium, high, extra high, etc..totally meaningless. Well hell, what use is the lens diameter, the OD of the bell is what needs to clear the barrel. Front Adj parallax bell is much larger than plain. I couldn't find any dimensions of the rings themselves in most cases. Some mfrs measure bottom radius to base, some measure centerline to base...not a single damn one of them give you bore centerline to scope centerline...with which you could actually calculate a solution, regardless of barrel taper or scope body diameter. Midway has a video, Larry says to measure the OD of the bell, makes sense, except none of the ring mfrs use that dimension in their charts. Jeez, how hard could it be? Maybe keeps UPS in business returning merchandise.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Barrel taper is the real variable/culprit here.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think a ring manufacturer could give a bore centerline to ring centerline dimension. It would vary from rifle to rifle.

Bruce

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would think the mfr would have drawings and plans for the products they make before they ever go into production. Tool and die makers that make the pre production prototypes don't go out and buy a rifle to build off of I wouldn't think. It would be pretty simple to pull the dimension from the prints and publish it to make an industry wide standard. Barrel taper is the variable that can't be predicted but that is easy for the buyer to calculate.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't know who uses some of these high and super high scope rings. I have several scopes with 56mm objectives and all of them will fit in either medium or low rings, and they're not on rifles with skinny barrels either.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I don't know who uses some of these high and super high scope rings. I have several scopes with 56mm objectives and all of them will fit in either medium or low rings, and they're not on rifles with skinny barrels either.

I will second this…

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have seen a few rifle/scope combo's that about the only way to make them work is (as was stated earlier) to use a rail.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
By the way, I have seen it on the other side, trying to get a 30mm scope as low as you can for better check weld.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the advent of fiberglass stocks with adjustable combs, and the proliferation of rifle scopes with, dials for W&E on the fly, Illumination controls and side mounted parallax, coupled with objective bells way larger than the old 40mm standard, low mounted scopes are becoming almost an anachronism. Picatinny rails on a hunting rifles are now the rule, rather than an the exception.

The 1" 2.5-8x36MM in low mounted rings sets, are fast being relegated to "primitive weapon" status. Not up with progress, too bad, just take a back seat and take some comfort in your nostalgia.

So it is with scope rings. The better, and bigger is better, ring & base makers: Badger Ordnance, Nightforce, Ken Farrell, APA, Seekins Precision, et al, all provide detailed measurements of their ring sets in 1", 30mm, 34mm, 35mm, ad nauseum. They all have a standard, and the deer hunter needs are not front and center among their favored clientele.

The current standard is 34mm tubes, found on 30oz+ scopes, with 50mm+ objectives, festooned with dials, illumination and parallax, all for shooting well north of 300 yards.

At the closer ranges, there is a plethora of LVPO's, all sporting capped adjustments, illumination, 30mm tubes and objectives, dedicated to the exploding AR market.

Between those two favored "standards", lies an older, dying breed of meat hunters, yearning for the days of old that will never, ever return.

Adapt or die is the new standard, and we just better get on board before this train leaves the station........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Are you using a rail? That can make a big difference.

Since users may use various bases from different makers, all with different heights, there’s no way to be sure except through experience or trial and error. About the best to be hoped for is that ring makers would give the base to inside bottom ring measurement, and some do. I’ve used the Leupold mount finder and extrapolated the figures to other stuff too. The charts at shopruger.com work pretty well, but scope dimensions vary, even with the same lens sizes. Since I swap scopes around a good bit, I usually have something laying around that I can use to help calculate what’s needed. I’ve also gotten good info from Talley, and they answer the phone.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The base to bottom of inside ring measurement would be a decent start. Give me that dimension and I can figure out the rest off of my base, barrel, action, objective bell dimensions.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 07/09/21.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OK Pappy we both may be "Optic Ho's" but I'm also a mount/ring junky. I must have 60 or 70 "spare" sets of scope rings laying around. They do sometimes serve a purpose. When I want to find out what size scope rings I need to mount a scope on a certain rifle, I can use my available ring stock to determine that, even if the rings I have do not fit that particular base or are not the type/quality that I want to mount that scope. If all else fails. I get out a stack of coins. RJ.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
The base to bottom of inside ring measurement would be a decent start. Give me that dimension and I can figure out the rest off of my base, barrel, action, objective bell dimensions.

+1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Shadow
With the advent of fiberglass stocks with adjustable combs, and the proliferation of rifle scopes with, dials for W&E on the fly, Illumination controls and side mounted parallax, coupled with objective bells way larger than the old 40mm standard, low mounted scopes are becoming almost an anachronism. Picatinny rails on a hunting rifles are now the rule, rather than an the exception.

The 1" 2.5-8x36MM in low mounted rings sets, are fast being relegated to "primitive weapon" status. Not up with progress, too bad, just take a back seat and take some comfort in your nostalgia.

So it is with scope rings. The better, and bigger is better, ring & base makers: Badger Ordnance, Nightforce, Ken Farrell, APA, Seekins Precision, et al, all provide detailed measurements of their ring sets in 1", 30mm, 34mm, 35mm, ad nauseum. They all have a standard, and the deer hunter needs are not front and center among their favored clientele.

The current standard is 34mm tubes, found on 30oz+ scopes, with 50mm+ objectives, festooned with dials, illumination and parallax, all for shooting well north of 300 yards.

At the closer ranges, there is a plethora of LVPO's, all sporting capped adjustments, illumination, 30mm tubes and objectives, dedicated to the exploding AR market.

Between those two favored "standards", lies an older, dying breed of meat hunters, yearning for the days of old that will never, ever return.

Adapt or die is the new standard, and we just better get on board before this train leaves the station........

Am content to skip the train and drive my truck wink

Last edited by hookeye; 07/09/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
And with all these recent optic advents, most of the people who utilize them still can't hit jack $hit at 200 yards offhand....

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
And with all these recent optic advents, most of the people who utilize them still can't hit jack $hit at 200 yards offhand....

Truer words were never spoken. The guy that brought the Ruger 25-06 has got a big Harris Bi-pod, if the scope gets mounted somehow (it looks like a 1st gen night scope) I think it will weigh close to 11 pounds ready to fire. But, the customer is always right, even when he's wrong.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What's wrong with an 11lb gun? Unless it's a sheep gun...

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
You're right, whats 11 pounds? when you are shooting out of the pickup window.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buying rings to fit your scope / rifle is like buying tires to fit your truck / lift kit.

What needs to be is a standard for high / medium / low etc....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
You're right, whats 11 pounds? when you are shooting out of the pickup window.

1874 Sharps Buffalo Rifle, weighed 10.25 pounds and didn't have a scope

Last edited by jwp475; 07/10/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,151
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.