HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Added another one yesterday. Sigh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have some of each, the right tool for the job.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
. I like wood and that is the way the fug it is. Mb

^^^^ This !!!!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Nice

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tzone
Plenty.

Synthetic stocks suck but have a place.

True.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm somewhere around 50+ long guns and most are wood stocked. 3 AR's and 3 bolt rifles are synthetic...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't hunt anywhere near as much as I used to. But even when I hunted a lot, I never cared for hunting in rain. Unless I had a firm date that I had to hunt, if it was raining I usually waited for a better day. Nonetheless, I got caught in rain, snow, wet conditions, and fog plenty of times. And I never had a blued/wood gun not perform well, or rust over, swell up, or otherwise not do its job in those conditions. And a little maintenance afterwards was all it took to keep those guns running and looking good. The biggest draw for me to synthetic stock is weight savings. The current attitude that wood can't handle weather fails to consider that wood is all there was for how long? A properly maintained wood stock will last forever.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/05/21.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You HAVE NOT "hunted in the rain", buddy. Not for days on end, without a dry, warm cabin or house to go back to when you get a little uncomfortable in a drizzle to dry and repolish your guns, have a hot toddy, bullshit with your buds, etc. It is obvious from your claim to fame.

I have a couple rifles that, even with good finishes and epoxy sealed butt-grain, swell up beyond the butt pad by up to 1/16 inch after a few days of constantly being out in the crap. They come back down over the winter. Never had a problem with POI change tho, probably due to them having the full receiver area glass bedded, with free-floating barrels.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mostly wood for me. I did have a Winchester 70 go bad on me after a wet hunt, but it didn't have any oil or glass in the bed channel.. Some Bubba had free floated it. But didn't finish the job. Shot good and looked pretty till then.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mostly wood for me. I did have a Winchester 70 go bad on me after a wet hunt, but it didn't have any oil or glass in the bed channel.. Some Bubba had free floated it. But didn't finish the job. Shot good and looked pretty till then.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only wood rifle I own is a grey/black laminated stock Marlin 45/70.

Every other rifle is synthetic, including the muzzleloader.

Shotguns on the other hand, have a bunch of wood O/U and SxS

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Not as single plastic stock in my gun safe. And never had a problem with rain and blue steel/wood guns.
Had a Browning A Bolt SS/synthetic in 270 W once but sold it and bought a wood stocked Verney-Carron in the same caliber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Fat Baby farted smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
. I like wood and that is the way the fug it is. Mb

^^^^ This !!!!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Remington fan by chance?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a lefty,

Only one of the 9 bolt actions in my locker has wood....

Left hand ruger hawkeye 3006.....
My all weather lefty is a tikka ss t3 in the same caliber....

All the rest are rightys in synthetic stocks.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Have some of each, the right tool for the job.

+1

I've no animus when it comes to synthetic stocks, I just happen to prefer wood when it's practical

I hunt out of a camp. I prefer to stay three nights. This gives me the opportunity to be afield 3 nights and three mornings. My passion is perforating porkers. I snare, trap and snipe em'. With spring Turkey season, Dove season, Archery and Rifle season, I typically make at least 15 trips per year. Have not always done so but have now geared up to where I take these 4 synthetic stocked rifles most every trip.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Top to bottom

AR-15, 223 Wylde, Tru-Glo Red/Green dot Sight
AR-15, 6.5 Grendel , Super Hogster Thermal Scope
Browning A-Bolt Hunter, 308 Win.
Browning Max Long Range, 6.5 PRC

I use the 223 with the red dot sight when I'm running snares and traps after the morning hunt. Works great up close on running pigs and boars at the end of a tether.

My first thermal scope was a Flir PST 233. Native maginification @ 1x. At 4x targets were almost indistinguishable Had it mounted on a 300 Blackout. I recently decided to go with the 6.5 Grendel combined with the Super Hogster Thermal vs. the 300 B/0 or 6.8 SPC II. It is an amazing optic. Native maginification is 2.9x which I find to suit me better at the distances I shoot. Works incredibly well laying down fire on running targets. Only negative is I find it hard when scanning to have any concept of distance to target.

full disclosure: Flir thermal optic.

IIRC, in this instance I was able to nail 4 on the run out of this sounder, +/- 30 yds.

Browning A-Bolt with Day and Night vision is a hoot. Can video hunts and take stills. Also streams to my tablet so I can set up on a feeder or water source and watch on the tablet rather than having to keep my eye to the optic.

At night it helps with eyestrain and night blindness. However night vision is not good for scanning or picking up moving targets after dark. With the Night Snipe Illuminator it is supposed to be good to 1k yds. I usually do not shoot more that 150 yds at night.

I have the 26 Nosler in the Hells Canyon Speed, so when the Long Range Max came available in the 6.5 PRC, I snagged one. It is probably one of the more accurate rifles I own.

It gets taken quite a bit even if shots are not 200 + yds. or the weather is inclement.

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/05/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I just realized I do have a synth stock - on the POS Rem 770 I felt obligated to buy a few years ago. last time I shot it for group. Check fired it 2 rounds for POI last week - about an inch apart, 2 1/2" high at 100 with 180 gr factory. Close enough!

Along with several other rifles that can mostly hide in the camper when it's wet out, including one of the stock swellers.

Last edited by las; 08/05/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
more wood than syn. Even on a Remington scoremaster.
And picked up this Vanguard in 300 Win, because of the wood, its a little different.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Sure looks like your rifle has soul (beauty, panache, style) to me.

But weren't you worried that a shift in zero would cost you your moose? (sarcasm)

I did get "lucky" and slipped a 160gr NP from that 275Rigby into a small bull at 250yds. It was DROT (dead right over there) smile

I do confess that I took a synthetic stocked 280 as well in case it got really crappy as it does on Newfoundland. What gunnut doesn't take two rifles, right?

Yep, I always take two, and often the backup is synthetic.

But the primary rifle will usually be a good shooting wood stocked rifle, that's also good looking.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
...Does a Fat Baby fart?...

smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.