Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
My wife has a 3 day work mtg in Coeur d'Alene starting the 15th of September. We would like to extend our stay and visit western Montana.
Any suggestions on where to go, what to do? Would like to limit exposure to "covidiots and the like". She frequently tells me to "GFY" so that's already on the agenda, just looking for a good place to do it. I'm not averse to sponsoring a happy hour if my travels bring me close to your location.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Stay away from college towns

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
drive up 95. stop in sand point for the wife. go to sweitzer rski mountain. ride the lift up to the top. Great views. hike down. Go to Kootenai Falls in W Montana. Ride the Hiawatha trail . Can rent bikes. If Im not out elk hunting take you out on the lake if interested

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I would treat the wife to a dinner cruise or a nice restaurant over looking the lake. I've always wanted to do that, but never have. Lake Couer d Alene is quite beautiful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lakependoreillecruises.com/cruises/

The history cruise on Lake Pend Oreille is interesting.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by AB2506
I think I would treat the wife to a dinner cruise or a nice restaurant over looking the lake. I've always wanted to do that, but never have. Lake Couer d Alene is quite beautiful.

We're staying at the CdA resort Wednesday through Friday noon, so dinner on the lake is already set up. I might golf Thursday (I'm on my own while she is in meetings) We plan to leave the resort at noon Friday and look around for a long weekend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not many covtards outside Missoula. Things are pretty normal in ID and MT, but there is a big Rona surge in Kalsipell right now. Stuff is pretty crowded, so book way in advance and be patient at the restaurants. If you go I90 east from CDL, Rocky mountain elk federation is in missoula, just north on 93 is the national bison range, then farther north is flathead lake and Glacier park. Missoula -> Kalispell is about two hours, Spokane to Missoula is about two hours. Glacier park is now ticked entry due to the crowds this year, there is also lots of fires and smoke in places.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Does CDA stand for "bunch of [bleep] driving"?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Probably, but also my lame attempt to abbreviate Coeur d'Alene.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Uncle joe: On Monday morning be at the Buck Knife factory, museum and gift shop!
Hopefully you can arrange a full tour of the factory while you are there abouts - its in Post Falls, Idaho just west of Couer d"Alene about 7 miles and just a half mile south of the freeway (I-90).
I think there are commercial boat ride/tours on the lake (Lake Couer d'Alene) that several of my friends have enjoyed - I have never done this just viewed it and fished it from shore.
It is a big beautiful lake.
Be prepared for "smoke" as we are in the midst of a huge fire season out west here - I am about 250 miles east of there (as the crow flies) and today is the first day in a month that the smoke has NOT bothered my breathing, seeing and not having a headache as yet today.
Enjoy your visit and I hope you get to enjoy the Buck Knife facility.
There are lots of gunshops in the area but I do not know what you are really looking for - the last time I was through those gunshops in Spokane, Post Falls and Couer d'Alene they were LOW on everything.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

They get there from Spokane I think.

And the farmers from Plummer.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I did the dinner cruise in Couer D' Alene in mid June.

Its OK, It depends on what you like - if you enjoy having dinner on a boat and the boat showing you nice houses that are on the lake, then you'd like it. I'm not sure I'd do it again, matter of fact I know I wouldn't. I agree CDA is nice, but I loved Sandpoint. I hit the lottery, I'm moving to Sandpoint.

We drove from CDA to Bonner's Ferry, then over to Libby, then drive 37 up to Eureka following Lake Koocanusa. That was an amazing drive.

Find the Bread Basket in Bonner's Ferry and load up on homemade donuts and Huckleberry pies, then follow that route , then just before you get to Libby, stop at Kootenai Falls

Also just down the road from Sandpoint along another great drive, with a great view and awesome Pizza is The Old Ice House Pizzeria.

anyways, tha's' my limited recommendations. I know there is a ton of other stuff to do

Last edited by KFWA; 08/09/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad

They get there from Spokane I think.

And the farmers from Plummer.

Well, ya go east on 90 from Post Falls, right at the speed limit. Approximately eighty cars will blast by you, dash in front to cross over and take the CDA exit just to come to a screatching halt right back behind the other 79 asswholeans stopped there. Everytime.

Note: CDA was not my idea. Don't shoot the messenger.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Head North to Priest Lake and have a meal at Hill’s landing on Wear side of lake. My son lives up there. Priest lake is the end of the paved road when heading towards Canada. Beautiful area

Hardin284
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506

There is an excellent restaurant on the lake. My wife and I have eaten there several times and enjoyed the food and the view. I can't remember the name now but either one of our north Idaho members will know it or people around there would certainly know it. Once you get the name, if you'd like to eat there, be sure and call for a reservation. It is a popular eatery.

Have a good time. That area up there is beautiful.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ribka
drive up 95. stop in sand point for the wife. go to sweitzer rski mountain. ride the lift up to the top. Great views. hike down. Go to Kootenai Falls in W Montana. Ride the Hiawatha trail . Can rent bikes. If Im not out elk hunting take you out on the lake if interested

This.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll be there this weekend. The kids won tickets to some amusement park up north so now I'm in for a long drive and $1200 in motel rooms. I'd rather spend it here in Idaho than Oregon or California though so I won't complain too much.

Bb

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Was nice place to visit 60 years ago, tolerable 30 years ago, overcrowded and overrun today. Kind of describes the entire northwest from Colorado to the Yukon. GD

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MtnBoomer: I drive that stretch 10 to 20 times a year (for the last 30+ years) and apparently YOU have NEVER seen really bad driving!
Take this from someone who has.
I consider that stretch, pleasant, to drive through in fact.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
Was nice place to visit 60 years ago, tolerable 30 years ago, overcrowded and overrun today. Kind of describes the entire northwest from Colorado to the Yukon. GD

Used to go through a lot in the early 90's.
Paused for a few years, then again in the late 90's.

Unreal. From beautiful to...
McMansions on every ridge.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 3,270 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,109
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.