-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Same Wicked Ridge Invader x4 370 crossbow.How long can I expect it to last if I take good care of it? Thank you in advance.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Crossbows require more maintenance. The recurve Excaliburs hold up a little better. Keep it lubed and check screws to make sure they are tight. I bought one last year for late season. I packed the hollow rail with foam and that seemed to help with noise and vibration.
The vibration from the draw weight and light arrows means there is a lot of energy going into the bow when you shoot.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Crossbows require more maintenance. The recurve Excaliburs hold up a little better. Keep it lubed and check screws to make sure they are tight. I bought one last year for late season. I packed the hollow rail with foam and that seemed to help with noise and vibration.
The vibration from the draw weight and light arrows means there is a lot of energy going into the bow when you shoot.

What parts do you lube,the cams obviously,anything else?, what do you use for lube?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Lube the rails with "Rail Snot" or similar type of liquid rail lube, and bow string wax on the string.

The rails get smoked by the speed of the string moving down it, and the string is equally heated up. The "snot" will help lube the contact points and prolong the string life.

You'll smell the string burn - if you are low on lube.

Wax the string and cable where they rub, cross, or bump. Work the wax into the fibers by rubbing it, and do it often.

Your crossbow will need to be shot - how long it will last is dependent on the wax and lube, and keeping it within the performance limits - AKA - using the 20 inch bolt length.

I've had crossbows that needed new cables and strings after 50 shots, and I've had some go several seasons within a hicc-up.

Usually - I shoot 150-250 bolts a season before the opener, and a few during the season, if nothing has happened in the stand.

I've switched to an Excalibur Micro, but I wouldn't be worried starting with your model - they are good xbows, and I'd expect it to last several seasons with proper care.

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/30-06-rail-snot-crossbow-rail-lube.html

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/scorpion-venom-crossbow-rail-lube.html

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/12/21.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Lube the rails with "Rail Snot" or similar type of liquid rail lube, and bow string wax on the string.

The rails get smoked by the speed of the string moving down it, and the string is equally heated up. The "snot" will help lube the contact points and prolong the string life.

You'll smell the string burn - if you are low on lube.

Wax the string and cable where they rub, cross, or bump. Work the wax into the fibers by rubbing it, and do it often.

Your crossbow will need to be shot - how long it will last is dependent on the wax and lube, and keeping it within the performance limits - AKA - using the 20 inch bolt length.

I've had crossbows that needed new cables and strings after 50 shots, and I've had some go several seasons within a hicc-up.

Usually - I shoot 150-250 bolts a season before the opener, and a few during the season, if nothing has happened in the stand.

I've switched to an Excalibur Micro, but I wouldn't be worried starting with your model - they are good xbows, and I'd expect it to last several seasons with proper care.

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/30-06-rail-snot-crossbow-rail-lube.html

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/scorpion-venom-crossbow-rail-lube.html

Thank you very much. I plan to go up to an Excalibur recurve crossbow or a ravin xbow after this one breaks down too bad I mean when I have the spare money and just want one 😆

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I ordered the snot lube and string g wax thank you for your help

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shoot heavier aluminum arrows they are quieter cause less wear on the cables, strings, limbs.
You lose some velocity but to me it's worth it, the deer don't jump so high at the release of the arrow.
Carbon arrows now sound like I'm shooting an old bear compound bow, lol.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Blackpowder8bore
I plan to go up to an Excalibur recurve crossbow or a ravin xbow after this one breaks down too bad I mean when I have the spare money and just want one 😆

Don't wait and get an Excal now! You always need a backup, especially if shooting "wheelie" bows; there are many little things which can disable them and require a trip to the shop, ending your season without a backup.

Regarding maintenance, Excaliburs require none. They have only 3 moving parts; limbs, string, trigger (and crank for some models). The only maintenance they require is waxing the string and some TLC to wipe them down from dirt, a spray of air to clean out any dust in the trigger group, and an occasional drop of oil. My Vortex, purchased in 2011 (discontinued in 2014), is rated for 330FPS with 350gr arrows (chrono'ed at 326), but I'm shooting 412gr (chrono'ed at 311FPS) for hunting. Last year split my 3rd arrow when forgot to tell buddy who was test-driving my recurve don't aim at the same bullseye. Haven't replaced string in 4 years with 150 shots/year. Serving is getting close to needing replacement, but string is fine.

Ignore the recurve naysayers. Excaliburs are simply elegant and deadly accurate. And you can 100% service them yourself.

Go to Craigslist and search Excalibur. Buy used. save lots. Enjoy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use food-grade silicon spray on the rails of my Excalibur. One less specialty product to keep around. The same stuff sprayed on the bolts makes them easy to pull from the Block. A toilet ring will keep that string together if you can’t find the regular stuff. I don’t shoot mine much, but I’ve changed the string twice because it’s easy, and cheap insurance.

Popped a doe this morning, our opener; left-handed no less.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Excaliber Equinox shoot a couple dozen arrows and shoot a couple deer every year for the past 12 years only replaced the string once....getting a extra one this year....it will be string #3 on the bow.....
My cousin she has had 6 bows in the past 10 years that she payed good money for in the same amount of time.....
Spend your hard earned money once on a Excaliber and shoot it for years.....just maintain it unstring at the end of the season.....

Last edited by coyotewacker; 09/26/21.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
get the excal. now it will save you money in the long run .you can do all the maintenance your self and buy any thing from the manufacturer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AH64Guy gave good advice IMO. Crossbows to me aren’t all that fun to shoot a lot. They’re slow to cock and somewhat awkward to handle. I “bow hunt” with one but don’t shoot one enough just for fun to wear one out for several seasons given the maintenance detailed above.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
AH64Guy gave good advice IMO. Crossbows to me aren’t all that fun to shoot a lot. They’re slow to cock and somewhat awkward to handle. I “bow hunt” with one but don’t shoot one enough just for fun to wear one out for several seasons given the maintenance detailed above.

Very little maintenance on an Excalibur, but you’re correct about the fun factor. It’s a great meat-maker though. I have a recurve if I want to plink, and just recently started playing with slingshots again. Now that's fun, and cheap!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Very little maintenance on an Excalibur, but you’re correct about the fun factor. It’s a great meat-maker though. I have a recurve if I want to plink, and just recently started playing with slingshots again. Now that's fun, and cheap!

That slingshot does sound fun. I had a lot of fun as a kid with both homemade and store bought slingshots. I think I need to get one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
https://simple-shot.com/

I bought a Scout XT, plus extra bands. Amazon has loads of ammo options. Get some clay balls for learning and practice. They biodegrade, and will crumble against a hard target. I’m learning on a plastic .22 flipper target with a cloth backstop to catch steel balls.

Watch Zachary Fowler on YouTube for practical American advice. Those British guys are insanely good and take all kinds of game at ranges you wouldn’t believe.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the link I’m ordering one. I didn’t realize that there were other brands than the Crossman that I remember from years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tube-types are out of favor, except for specialty shooting. The Simple Shots, some anyway, can use either. Some shooters even rig flat bands on their old Wrist Rockets.

I have an original Saunders Wrist Rocket, a couple of Marksman folders, and a wooden Whamo that must be over fifty years old. Those used to come with a little wire V for shooting arrows. Lost that.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Excaliber!! Enough said!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.