-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A Northern Plains breeder, on their way to Argentina, pass overhead here at night. Southbound in late summer, then again in April headed north. Sitting out here on the porch before sunrise just heard one passing overhead.

Marks the turn of the seasons for me.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Upland_Sandpiper/sounds

It’s been so dry up north I dunno what their breeding success rate has been like this year.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
About two weeks before my much beloved hummies will be gone, too. They're bulking up now, hitting feeders and flowers for as much energy and protein as they can eat. I love 'em dearly, and the four months they're here are precious to me.

Since putting out a bird bath, I have learned that cute little yellow goldfinches are almost fearless. They'll come up to the bath while I'm standing there cleaning or filling it and flutter right in front of me as if to say, "Come on, old man. It's my turn now!" Other birds scatter the moment I open my deck door but not the little goldies. They'll perch and drink until I walk up only a few feet away. So little and so brave!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been noticing more and more anhinga here in se NC. They used to be a rare sight, now I see one a week it seems.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m in the hummingbird lull right now, the local black-chins have moved on, presumably south (or maybe west, a lot of birds move to NW Mexico late summer for the “Mexican Monsoon” late summer rains). Ruby-throats moving through will pick up later.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shreck
I have been noticing more and more anhinga here in se NC. They used to be a rare sight, now I see one a week it seems.

The Corpus Christi Hawk Watch runs Aug 15 through Nov 15th. Flocks of 50-100 migrating anhinga there soaring with the raptors are a common sight in late August -September.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm staying busy with the Ruby Throat hummingbirds right now. They usually peak out about Labor Day weekend then start leaving. I have seen them here as late as October 9th though. I hate seeing them leave as I love watching them!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,708
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.