Print Thread
Hop To
E
ENorton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thinking about getting a Wilson double stack 9mm 1911, already have a STI 2011 that is quite nice just thought I would try something different. Any comments or suggestions on the Wilson or any other brand you would suggest.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You lost me at double stack.

But to answer your question…

Glock

E
ENorton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Glock does not make a high capacity 9mm 1911 often called a 2011. Wilson eXperior is a 18 round capacity 9mm 1911 pistol. STI is also but also offers magazines with higher capacity. Both single action pistols.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You won't go wrong with anything from Wilson Combat.

μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

X2 Best on the market.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got the regular (Commander length) EDC and the full sized (Gov't length) EDC-xl and did an article for Handgunner about the Compact which they sent me for testing and with which to take a Spaulding class. I feel in love with all of them however didn't buy the Compact as I just had no need for it.

The EDC has a bull (no bushing) barrel and is a joy to carry. It's far more accurate than I ever thought of being. The trigger is around 3 lbs. I've shot it during a number of classes (2 @ Gunsite, Miculek, another Spaulding) as well as matches (GAS, and local monthly's) and of course multiple practice sessions. I don't know how many rounds are thru it but north of 4000 for sure. One time I was talking to friends while loading magazines and inadvertently loaded a cartridge backward into the magazine w/o noticing. The gun actually fed the round; of course it wouldn't go into battery, but fed the cartridge in the chamber as far s the forcing cone would allow!! Another time we were practicing speed reloads and continuously dropping our mags on the ground which was sand. Eventually enough sand got into the mag and the follower stuck down. A quick tap and a hard blow loosened the follower and all was well. THOSE ARE THE ONLY TWO STOPPAGES THAT I'VE EVER HAD WITH THE GUN--both operator induced. It is by far my favorite handgun. Down side: the finish is looking a little worn which I didn't expect. Friends that have shot it thought that the recoil was snappy (it's basically a lightweight Commander) which I don't particularly notice.

I was going to buy a backup (when you find something you like, buy 2 as they'll surely stop making it, right?) but went with the EDC xl as I thought that it probably would be a better range gun, i.e. a little heavier, maybe a little less recoil, etc. I had some initial problems with this gun when I took delivery---I was expecting perfection but had some failures to feed and the trigger wasn't nearly as good as on my first EDC. I sent it back and the trigger is now a crisp 3 3/4 lb. and haven't had a ftf since---whatever they did, they did well and the turn around was very quick, i.e. two weeks IIRC. It is indeed a great range gun and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it except the regular EDC is a little more carry-friendly. The EDC xl differs in that it has a standard barrel bushing (alla 1911) so the take-down protocol is different between the two guns. I can't really think of any downsides to the gun.

The Compact was sent to me for testing (and purchase if I wanted it). It's a true concealed carry compact (think Sig 365, Hellcat, etc) except that it's a 1911 functionally. Again, the trigger was superb (3+ish)---with the shoe on the magazine the grip allowed you to get your pinky on the gun---w/o the shoe, big handed people will have their little finger under the gun. The extended mag, made the grip about perfect. Unlike the two bigger EDC's there are no grips on the gun, it's all one molded (?) piece of aluminum (?). Never had a stoppage with the gun---it was functional perfection. I thought seriously about buying it, but just had no need for it. On the up side, it took the larger magazines from it's big brothers so I wasn't confined to the smaller capacity.

In short, I love these guns! Of course everything that I've written is subjective---the same could be said by anybody about any gun so caveat emptor. Good luck with your decision.
Greg

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

X2 Best on the market.

What I’ve seen so far , I really like mine. I bought the bottom of the ladder WC. It’s a ACP model SS commander.
They claim quality is the same with this model, just less bells and whistles. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ENorton
Thinking about getting a Wilson double stack 9mm 1911, already have a STI 2011 that is quite nice just thought I would try something different. Any comments or suggestions on the Wilson or any other brand you would suggest.

If I were you, I would not order it direct from Wilson. Find stores that have one in stock. Check it out. If you like it, buy it. They generally make a solid product.

The folks at Wilson Combat, however, won't hesitate to screw someone over if they feel 1) they have the need to screw someone over to convenience themselves and 2) you are a handy victim.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

The cz / dan Wesson mixup looks pretty sweet..I'd cross shop it too.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx-compact/

I've never shot a bad Wilson combat and I've shot a lot. They don't seem to hold their resale value as well as one might expect though so I would shop used if possible.

Last edited by CaptArab; 08/27/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

If I were you, I would not order it direct from Wilson. Find stores that have one in stock. Check it out. If you like it, buy it. They generally make a solid product.

The folks at Wilson Combat, however, won't hesitate to screw someone over if they feel 1) they have the need to screw someone over to convenience themselves and 2) you are a handy victim.

You are just a broke digk whiner

LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you order it from Wilson it may take a while .

Find a Wilson dealer that has what you want like THR stated .

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by CaptArab

The cz / dan Wesson mixup looks pretty sweet..I'd cross shop it too.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx-compact/

I've never shot a bad Wilson combat and I've shot a lot. They don't seem to hold their resale value as well as one might expect though so I would shop used if possible.

A friend of mine has had many Wilson and Les Baer 1911's, all 45 auto I am sure, but he has gotten rid of all and now owns Dan Wessons. He thinks they are as good or better than Wilson or Baer and CZ is much easier to deal with if needed. He thought Les Baer was an "Ass".

He convinced me to get a Dan Wesson Valor a few years ago and I have been very happy with it. Neither my friend or myself have any experience with 9mm 1911's though.

E
ENorton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hard to find a Wilson dealer where I live. Most on internet are same price as ordering direct. Have heard good things about Dan Wesson but also have friend with Dan Wesson that was not the best. Have a Wilson CQB 45 and very nice Might try the eXperion if I can find one for decent price. .Thanks for the comments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you find a good used one, you're not going to find any steals on a new one, no matter whether it's direct of from a dealer.

Wilson is good stuff; I've had several 1911's, still have 2, used lots of their parts..............no experience with their 9's but "gmoats" experience & advice is info well taken, IMO.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only shot one Wilson 9mm and it was very good, but for a new 1911, I think that I'd opt for a Les Baer myself. I sure wish that I'd gone that route initially after I'd put lots of refinements into a Para because I'd been money and quality ahead. I like my reworked 1911 well enough, but I like my Cajunized CZ 75D PCR more.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For punching holes in paper or hitting metal gongs I would look at a Pardini GT9 or GT45 6. It is European competitor for Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson Combat,....Pardini is to a pistol what Perazzi is to a shotgun, KOOL stuff.

E
ENorton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Montana man, I agree hard to find a deal will buy new and I am guessing for list price. Would be nice to find someone with one in stock. Last one I found on Guns International and got a hundred dollar discount which I was happy with.

WindFall, I do not think Les Baer makes a high capacity 9mm. Friend has 3 Les Baer pistols and they are very nice also.

Slavek I think might be hard to find a Pardini to take a look at, only 4 dealers in USA. Italian shotguns are very nice, always wanted a Piotti but have not won lotto yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure if the Wilson 9mm uses a different frame than their .45 ACP, but I just measured a 6 1/2" circumference of my double stack Para P12-45 and it makes for a handful.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
WILSON COMBAT.COM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (219 Wasp, 257 roberts, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.