-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know most of you guys are DIY hunters but can anyone suggest a full service outfitter for the 2022 season? I am looking for my first and probably last Elk hunt so I dont mind going all out for this one. My 70th birthday is not too far in the future (I hope)! Upper tier ranches get booked fast!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Honestly, you’d be looking for a 22 or 23 hunt at this stage of the game. That assumes you are after bulls. There’s still time to shop for a 21 cow elk hunt, if Lady Luck shines on you.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Honestly, you’d be looking for a 22 or 23 hunt at this stage of the game. That assumes you are after bulls. There’s still time to shop for a 21 cow elk hunt, if Lady Luck shines on you.

Yes, 2022. I could get a Oct 15th hunt but really wanted to do late Sept early Oct to hunt the rut. Those hunts were all taken. Oct 15 was the only one left. North central NM.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jicirilla Reservation.

The Lodge at Chama

Might fit your needs

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve a very good outfitter I’d recommend. The problem is he’s booked for ‘24 already and that is most likely what you will find with other very good ones, perhaps especially after the Faucian Flu, and a year of postponements.

I hope you find one!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might also check the Mescalero Apache in Ruidoso.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go with the Jic's.
Plenty of quality bulls, and a great lodge.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jicirilla sounds pretty awesome but without someone having (multiple) first hand experience(s) with a guide my conserative side is telling me not to risk wasting big $$ and getting really aggravated. Picking a guide from a list leaves too much risk. Drunk, ass hole, over priced etc.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Jicirilla sounds pretty awesome but without someone having (multiple) first hand experience(s) with a guide my conserative side is telling me not to risk wasting big $$ and getting really aggravated. Picking a guide from a list leaves too much risk. Drunk, ass hole, over priced etc.

And THAT'S exactly what I've heard from numerous Jicarilla clients in face to face discussions. You can't just "go hunt" there....you are required to have a guide obviously. If your guide is hung over from last night, well.....you ain't hunting that day. Heard that story time and again.

The problem you are facing Sako is the premium spots to elk hunt like Vermejo, UU Bar, et. al. are booked and stay booked. You will have to be diligent both in choice of outfit and followup with previous clients. Grab a Bugle magazine and look in the back of it.....outfits are listed by state and you need to get on the phone and give em a ring.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I know just the guy for you. He's an LT at the agency I work at and has his own guiding business. He is a top notch guy and has some excellent guides and ranches to hunt on. You can message me and I'll put you in touch with him. He is taking me this year for a cow hunt as I can't get drawn in this damn state so he hooked me up with a tag. He is fully licensed, insured and is reliable.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I have a couple of places that I am working with.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look near units 34 or 36. The reservation is 35. Several good outfits in that area and good chance at a quality bull. My guide has retired or I would recommend him. Best chance for nonrez to draw is with an outfitter in NM.

Also some pretty country in those units that will not require you being a mtn goat.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have always herd good things about
"JFW ranch consulting"
Never hunted with them, but talked to them several times.
Would hurt to call, he has a lot of options.

MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Lee Weiss at Fishtail Ranch in Chama,NM runs a great operation.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by whit
Lee Weiss at Fishtail Ranch in Chama,NM runs a great operation.

I’ll vouch for Fishtail ranch also !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.