Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
"Do it all", for torso type precision? Ha ha..
Different people have different uses for their ARs. I'm sure the number of of people who have it for defense against undesirable elements far outweigh those who only shoot if from a solid benchrest for groups.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I find a LPVO with illumination to be about as good as it gets for a do it all. I like red dots as well, but they don’t offer flexibility like a LPVO.

At 1x you can run it like a red dot, or side mount a rmr/ iron sights if that’s your thing

Go to 6x and you can reach out to your rifles capable distance.

Recce style is very handy for a do it all

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter
MM,

I'm sick over what happened to your Marines over the last week.

Stand in the gap,

DW

It's tough to see the leadership try to gloss over it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I put a 3x prism on mine for an all-aounder. It's a Primary Arms with ACSS reticle. I like it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I may try one of those. My astigmatism pretty much rules out red dots.

Been considering the Meprolight M21, which looks awesome, but I would miss no magnification at all. If I added a Meprolight magnifier I would be looking at damn near a thousand bucks for the setup, which seems insanely high for a 3x tritium optic system.

The prism scope seems like the best solution besides an lpvo...

My eyes are getting old too. I need that diopter adjustment. The 3X is plenty for 500 yards+, on torso size targets. I also have 5X and 1X examples on other uppers, also 1-6X LPVO. The 3X isn't a bad compromise.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
MM,

I'm sick over what happened to your Marines over the last week.

Stand in the gap,

DW

I was a Combat Medic assigned to the Scouts. It was hard to watch.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I put a 3x prism on mine for an all-aounder. It's a Primary Arms with ACSS reticle. I like it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've been trying to stay away from PA or other Chinese optics but I must admit that reticle is very tempting. Seems so easy even a Caveman could use it. wink I've thought about throw a 4.5-14 ACSS on my STG-58 clone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Who mentioned “torso” type precision?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those are not leaders. Those are politicians in uniforms.

Much to the distress of us all.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With an lpvo would there still be an issue of eye relief even at 1x?

Romans 5:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Most shots from 50-100 years, some to 200 or 300.

How do you know the target will still be there when the bullet arrives?

LOL

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Who mentioned “torso” type precision?

I need minute of woodchuck type precision. Apologies for not posting a picture of one with ten holes in it.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have experience with a prism scope that has a generous eye relief? On most of the specs I see, the eye relief seems awfully close.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm curious if the prism scopes are really an alternative to red dots for those of us with astigmatism.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Training bleeds over. I don't have time to train specifically for fighting. Getting enough revolver time in to maintain point shooting is challenge enough.

Most of my rifle use is with a telescopic sight. So my main AR has a LPVO. Prefer simple and illuminated.

If you really want a red dot, look at models with shaped dots or reticles. The filters on some cut the starburst off. Or look at the cheap ones that have thick reflective coating. Same deal.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm curious if the prism scopes are really an alternative to red dots for those of us with astigmatism.

I’m in that boat too. I’m looking for something for 0-300 yards for a MSR.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was very surprised I could reliably hit a 2/3’d sized silhouette in the chest at 300 yards with my Aimpoint PRO. I’m 57 and have astigmatism yet once I tried it, I could aim at the forehead and drill the chest every time. Granted the 2 moa dot covered the whole head but it was very doable.

Where I use the LPVO is basically the same distance, though I’ve shot to 700 yards on the same 2/3rd sized plates I like the visual confirmation I get before I pull the trigger.

Either is a good option but again, are your targets going to be close and moving or far away and hiding?

If I had to choose just one, give me a LPVO but don’t underestimate the red dot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have horrible astigmatism and I noticed the red dots were completely sharp if used with a multiplier. Can't explain the optical reason why but it was like night and day. Not sure that setup would add any value over a prism scope. Might be better eye relief though.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The trick I learned was when speed is needed and needed now, I don't care if the dot is blooming. When more precision is needed and you have time, look through your peep sight and the dot appears as a normal dot.

I need to break down and try a magnifier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
The trick I learned was when speed is needed and needed now, I don't care if the dot is blooming. When more precision is needed and you have time, look through your peep sight and the dot appears as a normal dot.

I need to break down and try a magnifier.

That's a pretty good argument. For close in target where minute of salad plate is hopefully good enough, a little fuzz with just the red dot might be okay. If you have a multiplier you can flip into place, you can have a more crisp picture for further out. Guess it depends on each person. My bad astigmatism made looking through a red dot close to unusable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I have horrible astigmatism and I noticed the red dots were completely sharp if used with a multiplier. Can't explain the optical reason why but it was like night and day. Not sure that setup would add any value over a prism scope. Might be better eye relief though.

The magnifier has eye relief and focus like a normal scope. It’s the same reason you can adjust a scope enough to account for vision impairment, though it won’t work for someone with 20/20 at that point.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 64 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.