Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Hello all.

I heard recently the Remington M7600 pump guns and Model 7400 auto-loaders - while accurate solid platforms, can't handle rifle ammunition as powerful or high-pressured as ammo recommended for a modern bolt-action gun - that Remington "actually loads their ammo down" to accommodate these rifles..

Is this true? Or "urban legend?" I'm inclined to believe the latter, but am still learning about my 7600.

In years past I've seen the Remington pump and auto rifles referred to as "Remington's other [bolt] guns" because of their usually very good accuracy and solid performance.

Comments please from experienced shooters/owners.

Thanks ahead of time.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have shot mostly rem core-lokts in my 7600 and get great accuaracy. I have also shot loads from federal, winchester, and hornady without problems. Including the high energy loads from federal and the hornady light mags but they weren't as accurate(still pretty good) and kinda expensive.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remington CoreLokt in my older 742 semi auto. They are accurate, kill well, and are fairly inexpensive.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There should be no need to shoot any kind of "reduced velocity" ammo in the Remington semi-autos or pumps. If you have a concern or question regarding Remington ammo's velocity compared to other brand's velocities, pull up similiar loads from online velocity and trajectory charts supplied by the manufacturers and compare the numbers. For example, how does a Remington 30-06 150 grain PSP compare to the same loading, in the same grade of ammo from Winchester. When it comes to factory ammo, every gun is different. The best way to find the best load is to continually try new or different rounds until you find the one you gun prefers. I shoot factory ammo, and have an '06 Mauser that shoots best with Federal Premium 165 gr. Sierra Game King BTSP loads. I've tried over 15 different loads in that gun, and this is hands-down the tightest shooting load. I also have an old 99 Savage that prefers the good old 180 gr. Remington RN Core-Lokt rounds. If there was any need to use reduced velocity loads on Remingoton's semi auto or pump guns, there would be some stern warning supplied with every gun. Such is not the case.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's absolutely not true. I've owned both the auto and the pump. Neither is a shrinking violet.

I tend to load light, but it's because I'm a cheap bastid and I'm usually shooting my deer at under 40 yards.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just don't use the Federal High Energy ammo. The box is printed with a warning not to use in auto's, and I've seen them jam as well.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know of a a guy to use the Federal HE ammo in his 7600 without problem. I'm sure it kicked like a Brazilian soccer player! I would say that if you follow standard handloading guidelines and work up to book loads you're fine in Remmy pumps (no experience with autos so I won't go there). FWIW though, I've found great accuracy usually 1-2 gr under max in my 31 year old Rem. 760 30-'06. I won't even guess as to why, I don't care. I use small based dies for the pump but my Dad, who had the gun 25 years or so before I bought it from him, used standard FL resizing dies without a problem. Put it like this'; you can get the Remington 7600 in many cartridges that I am sure aren't "watered down" from factory loads ie, 270, 25-06 (limited runs), 7mm-08 (same) and 35 Whelen. So the strenght factor is a weak tea argument to me. The autoloaders I have no idea so I won't speculate.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've used both and they'll handle almost all factory ammo. The Fed HE and HDY LM loads warn against using those loads in an auto. I know folks that have used those in autos without any ill effects. The pressure curve is not the same for those loads as they use a slower powder. This different burn is supposed to be hard on the gas action and may cause damage to the action.

You can use any ammo in a pump, just check for pressure signs like you would in any other CF.

Good Luck

Reloader7RM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never heard of Remington loading their .30-06 ammo down to accomodate their pump action and autoloading rifles. I would be surprized if this was true. Remington chambers those guns in other calibers as well (e.g., .223 Rem, .243 Win, .308 Win, 270 Win, etc.) Do they load those cartridges down too?

But, whether the factories "load down" the .30-06 may depend on what you mean by "load down." In my experience, and in my rifle, standard factory .30-06 180 gr loads go about 2650 fps. Remington, Winchester, and Federal are all about the same. Some handloaders, I think reliably, claim to be able to bump a 180 to around 2800 fps in their '06s. I've never been able to get there, but I've gotten to 2750 with some loads that I consider safe.

So, is 2650 "loaded down" or not? I don't think 50-100 fps, or even 150 fps is enough to get wound up about. And I really don't think it has anything to do with the strength of the Remington pumps and autos.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks everyone! Thanks for your comments and for sharing your experience. Everything posted in regard to my original post makes sense - and reinforces my confidence in the Remington pumps. As for the auto's, I would expect they'd hold up under normal, average use - but not like more robust military or L.E. use, which I certainly don't need! I doubt however, I'll ever own a Remy S.A. rifle so that point is mute.

But I'm looking forward to getting the mods done on my .308 pump, and using it on deer from a tree stand and walking up jack rabbits. cool

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would guess your info is based on the Rem. 742 having problems with the .270 cartridge and so Rem. came up with the .280 which was not loaded to the same pressure as the .270. Rem. got the problem with the 742 and the .270 cartridge resolved later. The 30-06 is not normally loaded to as high of a pressure as many other modern cartridges because there are so many older rifles chambered for it. The 7mm Mauser (7x57) is another cartrige that suffers the same fate. That said, the 30-06 and 7x57 are as good as they always were.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 09/02/07.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I would guess your info is based on the Rem. 742 having problems with the .270 cartridge and so Rem. came up with the .280 which was not loaded to the same pressure as the .270 ......

Not sure where the fellow who commented to me "got his facts" or urband legend, but everyone who's posted about this topic makes sense and seem to agree the Remmy pumps and SA'a will handle normal-pressure loads.

That will work fine for me! And every other Remington pump or semi-auto rifle I've ever seen or know of others' to own. wink

Thanks again, guys. smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The CoreLokts are very accurate and priced right (at Wally world). Just make sure you try a couple of different loads to find what matches best with your gun and your hunting situation.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,889
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.