Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I own 4 BLRs. My first was a used Belgium made BLR in .308 Win. i purchased in the late 80s. I liked it so much I purchased 3 more since then, two steel receiver BLR 81s and a stainless BLR 81 Lightweight. They are my preference for Whitetail hunting here in Pa. and I have taken deer with every one of them. They range from sub MOA to 1 1/2" at 100 yards. The most accurate being the newer SS one. I have never had one problem with any of them. They are all short actions, very well balanced and a joy to carry. I saw the Hickok 45 videos, he admitted he was short stroking the lever which ejects the spent case and never picks up the next cartridge from the magazine, so he was closing the lever it on an empty chamber. They weren't technically misfires. It was the user's error not a fault of the rifle. My experience has been all positive, they are great dependable rifles.

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I watched those videos. Mine never misfired. When I got mine, cycling them just feels different than cycling a 94 or Marlin 336, and it's a bit disconcerting if you're used to traditional lever actions. . The BLR has a gear in it and the bolt slides back and forth very fast and kind of hits hard when it gets to the rear. I chalk my issues up to user error since it's never happened again. BTW, I use the same Federal Power Shok in mine. 150 gr soft point.

Hickock had 2 boxes of 308 and the rest of the ammo was 7. 62x51 . I have not seen any issues firing yet but he is not comfortable working the lever(shot shucks an awful lot).

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I fired an over pressured 358 cartridge in mine that distorted the head enough that the primer fell out. Before I realized all this, I grasped the lever and yanked on it with all I was worth. The blr is the only lever gun I've owned, where the extractor didn't slip off the case rim in such conditions.

The gearing handled that abuse and was no worse for wear.

Very finicky with head spacing, and very finicky to any gunk build up from old gun oil in the firing pin system.

Winter hunting in 30 below, I actually pulled the buttstock and soaked the entire action in gun degreaser, rather than taking it apart. This cleaned the 15 years of various gun oils and gunk out of the darn thing.

No misfires after that.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 08/30/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm unaware on an inherent reliability issue and in actuality,the platform is VERY fhuqking reliable(223,22-250,243,7-08 and 308's expressly). Hint.

I reckon I'm not "surprised",that Drooling Fhuqktards are in over their pointy heads,with disassembly of same. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Triggers clean up easily. The 'pin strike is only OBVIOUSLY,very robust. They lock up tight and shoot exceptionally. Lose the barrel band,free float the fore end(seal same),drive Lapooey positive headspaced fals shoulders and squirt .625 BC's at 2600fps from a 20" spout. Hint.

EGW miffed the rail,but THE Chop is nothing new. A MK4 M3 6x weren't a horrid start,but a 6x MQ gets it well past the 1000yd line,by simply looking through the fhuqking thing. Shoots 162's under 3/4" in hasty Trio's and is plum handy for handing Dissenters their asses. Hint.

Due the hammer's mass and rigorous momentum,excessive headspace was certainly the culprit in the above videos,especially in 308. Rather than the datum indexing the chamber,the case is simply driven forward by the firing pin and all that ass,is for not. One of many reasons,that positive headspaced false shoulders are a constant in the larder. Hint.

What else can't you CLUELESS Fhuqks do? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

When’s the 22 CM coming home? A 250 would make a helluva donor I’d think.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've fired Federal XM80 7.62 NATO out of mine with no issues. And when I first scoped it, I sighted in with Federal American Eagle 150 gr FMJ then refined it with Federal Power Shok 150 gr. I've stocked up on Federal Fusion 150 gr so I need to get it out and see how they do. I'm hoping I can just leave things as they are set for the Power Shoks. I've put some PMC Bronze 150 gr SP thru it while sighted in for Power Shoks and they hit about where the Power Shoks do. The BLR 81 Lightweight is a great gun. A pleasure to carry and perfect for a tree stand.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Recently picked one up earlier this year. Put a red dot sight on it and wish I would've tried one years earlier. I don't have much experience with it but the stock comb is low and I got an cheek riser and it helps line things up nicely. Mine is 450 Marlin cal and it's teamed up with my little Beretta 71 22lr.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have always liked the Blr but have never owned one. I have worked on ton of them and rebarreled quite few. I have seen three or four with stripped gears and two which had cracked the rack on the lever. In all cases, these were neglected rifles; if not abused. I have seen a couple which would, every now and then, misfire (light strike). It was an intermittent trigger issue which nearly drove me crazy to diagnose. Both would fire thirty shots straight, then miss one. Then fire four, and miss one. Even when I was certain I had them fixed, I would not have wanted to bet my life on it.
In the end, it's like one poster said, even Miroku, now and then, produces a dud. Mostly, I think they are a pretty reliable rifle. I have seen some which were very accurate. That's all I've got. GD

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had a few in 308. Both were reliable, accurate, and looked well made. They are a little tricky to get back together. Someone talked me out of one and I traded the other off during my broke college days to help fund a stainless synthetic bolt gun build.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best reason for owning one to me would be one of the takedowns. I’ve lived with crappy triggers before, so could make do. Someone looking to own one would be wise to get a current one and pick up a couple or three extra magazines.

Writer Brian Pearce has said good things about them a time or two, even did a dedicated piece on them. He uses them himself, and is not one to suffer crap.

They are pretty oogly, but ain’t alone there. Some have reported that the chambers often require small-base sizing dies, and sometimes even those may not be enough to make the cases fit.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't even remember the last time I saw a new one for sale on the rack.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 3, a .243, .270 wcf and a .450 Marlin.
The .270 & .450 are takedowns and prefer the takedown.
Takedowns offer advantages, including the ability to clean them well.I find they have to stay quite clean to work best
I have long eye relief scopes on the takedowns and interestingly can bore sight them. Because I am horseback most of the time I carry them in a deep , army style saddlebags when taken down.
The .270 is my primary sheep rifle and purchased the .450 as my carry rifle for more up close stuff.,
I use the .243 to keep me sharp at turkey shoots, summer positional shooting.
Factory triggers can be improved, should be done by a professional though.
These are lever operating , turn bolt rifles , and give me many advantages for myself.
They cycle quick and flawlessly. They will take full power handloads but probably should be backed of on a bit and I resize cases more carefully than any of the bolt action rifles. Hope this is helpful

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Got my first one in 1981, the first model with protruding magazine, chambered in .358. About 95% of my shooting was with cast bullets and never had a moment's trouble with it for over 30 years but, like a fool I sold it.
Last year I ran across a Lightweight Stainless takedown in .358 and brought it home. With a 200 grain Sierra the average of 4 groups is 1.09", which is good enough for my hunting style and everything was hunky dory. But.....I mostly shoot cast bullets and have found they are more accurate with the bullet engaging the rifling. I was getting intermittent misfires and determined that, while the action appeared locked and the trigger would release the hammer, the round may or may not fire. The older rifle didn't have this problem. It was an easy fix to just seat the bullet deeper so that problem went away. Maybe it will make meat this fall. grin

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Watched a couple of Hickok45's vids and he had a lot of misfires while using a .308. I'm not sure what was happening. Ejection/feeding looked great but no boom..... It happened often during the vids.

Is the BLR known for misfires or light primer strikes?

I read about misfires with the BLR on a different forum. People claimed that the plant packed the bolt with a waxy grease, which can slow the firing pin. Once the grease was removed, it cured the misfire issues.

I have no idea how accurate those claims are, or if that was the problem with the rifle Hickock was shooting.

I ordered a BLR, which should be arriving at my FFL later today.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’ve had a 358 for 17 years and never had an issue with misfires. It’s sub MOA with JB’s 200 TSX Tac load.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have two, both 1980’s steel frame straight stocks, a .308 and a .284W, no problems. The triggers are not great but you can learn to shoot them.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Belgium made BLR in 308 and a Miroku made 81 BLR in 284 Winchester. Both are reliable and accurate enough for me, shooting between an inch and an inch and a half groups. Both would probably shoot better if someone else was doing the shooting. I've never had any problems with reliability in either of them.

Harry
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I have a 30-06, Lighting model. I have only used open sights.

Had a chance at a 257 Robert’s years ago and passed. I was into the 300 win mag crowd then.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've owned one for a long time before giving it to my father, never an issue. As someone stated, it was probably ammo related.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had exactly the same problem with a BLR Lightning in 270 Win! Wrote to Browning and got no response at all. Sent it to a gunsmith and couldn't find the fault. Maybe the floating part of the firing pin was a mite too short - don't know. Was using factory Winchester Super X 270 Win 130gr Powerpoint. Some went bang others not? Too unreliable and it was sold at substantial loss to a dealer. Accuracy was pretty good otherwise.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.