Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimdgc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Has anyone handled one of these? Wondering about the thickness of the wrist. Is it similar to their wood stocked guns or thicker. Recently purchased a Nosler Liberty that I just can’t get used to due to the thickness of the stock and am thinking about replacing it with the Winchester.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one.. it’s perfect for my large size hands.

Mine is a JES rebore in 35 Whelen and it shoots bug holes at 100. It’s IMO the perfect weight for a hunting rifle. Well made and handles beautifully.

I have a Dakota 76 ( wood) that is thinner at the wrist., but you won’t regret the Winchester extreme.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It’s thicker than the wood featherweight. It’s also heavier. That said, they’re fantastic rifles.

If you’re looking for a spotter weight rifle, it’s a great choice.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimdgc
Has anyone handled one of these? Wondering about the thickness of the wrist. Is it similar to their wood stocked guns or thicker. Recently purchased a Nosler Liberty that I just can’t get used to due to the thickness of the stock and am thinking about replacing it with the Winchester.

Why not just replace the stock? Mcmillan makes some nice stocks, that I'm sure would work on your liberty? I would not buy or trade for an extreme weather because that stock sucks. I replaced one with a mcmillan hunters compact and then it was a very nice rifle. Damn near perfect...but I still like my pre 64's better..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
jimdgc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Why not just replace the stock? Mcmillan makes some nice stocks, that I'm sure would work on your liberty? I would not buy or trade for an extreme weather because that stock sucks. I replaced one with a mcmillan hunters compact and then it was a very nice rifle. Damn near perfect...but I still like my pre 64's better..

Had previously looked at the McMillan website and didn’t see any stocks inletted for a Nosler action, but I guess they could do one. I’m also a fan and have a few of the pre 64’s. Was hoping the Winchester EW would be more like the pre 64’s.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a newer one in 6.5 CM.., the wrist is a little thick , but overall not a bad stock. The stock on mine weighs 30oz.
Sure I like my mcmillan's better, but for a factory rig it's not bad.

J
jimdgc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thought I would do a little measuring for the sake of comparison. The Nosler Liberty wrist is 5 5/8”, a wood Remington 700 is 4 3/4” and a High Tech Specialties stock is 5”. I’ll have to dig out some old Winchesters to measure.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I had one of these chambered in .300 WSM the rifle functioned and shot great but I sold it cause I never warmed up to the thick bulky stock...Good luck...Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Had previously looked at the McMillan website and didn’t see any stocks inletted for a Nosler action, but I guess they could do one. I’m also a fan and have a few of the pre 64’s. Was hoping the Winchester EW would be more like the pre 64’s.

The EW will be similar to the pre 64 in that it is a CRF, but there are differences that need to be pointed out. The biggest difference is the new box trigger BACO uses. A lot of the guys I know believe Winchester/Browning should have left the oldstyle trigger alone. I wanted to share a couple pictures with you regarding both the pre 64 and the EW. These 2 rifles have the same style of stock, both Mcmillan hunters compact stocks:

Pre 64 270 fwt:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

30-06 Extreme weather:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This rifle weighed in right at 7 3/4 pounds as you see in the picture. This to me is the best option for the extreme weather. A buddy and I were talking about this very thing earlier today. He says he loves his EW 300WSM for shooting off the bench and stuff, but hates packing it around. He complains about the stock and wishes he could put one of these Mcmillan's on. I told him to buy one and I'd glass bed it for him. His main gripe with the EW stock is it is "bulky", the grip is fat and it is very "slick". He says when its raining or snowing when he's hunting with it, it feels like its going to slip out of his hands. The funny thing is when we were both looking for Extreme Weathers to buy, I told him I hated the stock and that would be the first thing I replaced. As it happened, when I bought the EW pictured above from a fire member here, I had also bought that mcmillan stock from a member at the same time. The stock actually arrived before the rifle did and it was a perfect match. I couldn't have been more happy with the combo, but after a lot of shooting, I decided I liked my pre 64's better and kept the '56 30-06 fwt that actually shoots better, and actually functions better than the EW did. Sometimes I kick myself in the azz for getting rid of the EW because as it was set up, it was as close to perfect as a guy is ever going to get for a top notch hunting rifle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice looking rigs BSA 👍👍......Hb

IC B3

J
jimdgc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ordered the EW yesterday. It won’t take much to feel better than the Nosler. At last check I had 5 of the HTS/Bansner stocks and really like them. All of the McMillans I have are on varmint or target rifles. May have to give the Hunter Compact a try. Thanks for the photos.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,457
Posts18,529,114
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.