Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Mine arrived yesterday afternoon also. I'll spend some time with them and offer a report.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jwp475
Why is their twilight factor 1/2 that of a 15x56 Swarovski?

What makes you think that?

Reading spec sheets from both binos. Are you a tract salesperson? 16.2 vs 29.9 you can google it . Hopefully it is a misprint because that is a good amount of difference.

The twilight factor is the square root of the product of the diameter of the objective lens and the magnifying power of the binocular. [For example, an 8x32 binocular would have a twilight factor of 16, and a 10x42 would have a twilight factor of 20.5.

However, in a modern binocular, performance in dim light depends more on the quality of the optical coatings than on the twilight factor formula. Good coatings can double the amount of light that gets through the binocular.

If you pick up an old binocular from the 40s, or a cheap, low-quality binocular, you'll see very poor performance in dim light. Then look through a modern, top-quality binocular with the same magnification and lens size, and see how much brighter and clearer the image is, despite the fact that both binoculars have the same twilight factor rating.

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then why such a big difference?

Common sense should tell you there can't possibly be that much disparity between the two. The Tract's Schott UHD glass is exceptionally good and wouldn't allow that. If you put a Swaro SLC HD and a Toric 8x42 side by side on a tripod you'll see very small differences.....picking nits so to speak, and you'll have to look long and hard to pick 'em out. I'd bet $$$ the same is true for the 15's.

Since I put up the link Tract has changed the Twilight Factor to 27+, so it was a misprint like I said earlier could have been the case.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No shipping notice for me, yet.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Are they shipping to Canada Jordan ?

That would be a bonus

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Are they shipping to Canada Jordan ?

That would be a bonus

Yep. But if you order a riflescope you've got to deal with some paperwork.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got a shipping notice today. Hopefully it arrives before the 4th!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Got a shipping notice today. Hopefully it arrives before the 4th!

I hope so too, the last time I sent a package to Canada the package ended up in London and got lost coming back across the pond. That's when I decided that I will NEVER pay for insurance again because the USPS made it very clear after several months that there is zero chance of collecting a dime.

I hope your experience goes much,much better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to read your review, my son has the 10x42's and we both think they are awesome, I have a couple rifle scopes from Tract and they are awesome as well

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, boatanchor.

I’ve had better luck with the USPS than UPS or FedEx, to tell you the truth, so I’m hopeful.

In addition to using them at a match and on a sheep hunt, I’ll also try and compare them to my Geovid HD-R 2200.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Thanks, boatanchor.

I’ve had better luck with the USPS than UPS or FedEx, to tell you the truth, so I’m hopeful.

In addition to using them at a match and on a sheep hunt, I’ll also try and compare them to my Geovid HD-R 2200.

Well, it looks like the Toric 15x won't arrive in time for the match or the sheep hunt. Too bad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got to spend a fair bit of time behind a set of these on Saturday. Spotting targets and shots at a rifle competition. Very impressive performance at any price, but especially given the Tract MSRP.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I got to spend a fair bit of time behind a set of these on Saturday. Spotting targets and shots at a rifle competition. Very impressive performance at any price, but especially given the Tract MSRP.

Haha, well Canada Post got the Toric here early, and Mr. Wrongside and I both spent some time looking through it at the match on Saturday. I’ll post a more in-depth review after spending more time with it, but so far the resolution, edge-to-edge clarity, colour, and contrast are all extremely impressive. I haven’t had a chance to test its low-light performance yet. Optically, the Toric 15x is excellent, so far. Eye relief and positioning are slightly finicky and the diopter adjustment isn’t perfectly positive, but I’d still give the user-friendliness and build quality a 9 out of 10. But again, this is very preliminary.

This week’s sheep hunt plans changed a bit and I’ll be taking the Geovid 10x instead, but I’ll take the Toric sheep, and likely elk, hunting over the next several weeks to give it a good workout. Will report back later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wondered how he got aholt of them before you did....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Schott glass and Japanese, these perk my interest into possibly checking into them. I was a big fan of fujinon, really like the Vortex Razor UHD, both are product of Japan. They can easily rival the big 3 euro brands.
Be curious to see what everyone thinks when they hit your guys' door.
Im always looking to test new glass lol

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Enrique
Schott glass and Japanese, these perk my interest into possibly checking into them. I was a big fan of fujinon, really like the Vortex Razor UHD, both are product of Japan. They can easily rival the big 3 euro brands.
Be curious to see what everyone thinks when they hit your guys' door.
Im always looking to test new glass lol

Kique

I love mine. Excellent clarity and resolution as well as exceptional low light ability

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks buddy!
I'll have to see if i can hunt some down.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Any updates on these from the guys running them this season?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Any updates on these from the guys running them this season?

Here's a review

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.