Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Gregintenn

I apologize. He was 17 not 19. His name was Noah and he died at the end of my family farm on Augusta-Minerva Rd. in Bracken County KY.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only wear one if I'm drinking a cold beer, so there is no excuse to pull me over.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by slumlord

Old people bitch the most about seat belts. My observation

Cut-n-Paste to the rescue

5 Causes of New or Increasing Negativity in Older Adults
Conversely, a negative mindset or more frequent complaining is a new occurrence for some seniors.

If your mother was always sweet and timid, but now she’s implacable, or your husband was jolly and supportive throughout your marriage, but he’s become controlling and angry, it is a serious red flag. Fortunately, new personality changes are often easier to address, and many can be remedied.

6. Misfitting dentures can cause irritable bouts of mumbling and fist shaking. (Note: If combined with dementia may result in the accidental use of Preparation H as a substitute for Fixodent. Primary indicator is a pronounced pucker face while mumbling).

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I also use those handles on the front window column. I then yell ... YE-HA .. when we drive over bumps. Kind of like this except I at abuot 30mphs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Conversely, a negative mindset or more frequent complaining is a new occurrence for some seniors.

If your mother was always sweet and timid, but now she’s implacable, or your husband was jolly and supportive throughout your marriage, but he’s become controlling and angry, it is a serious red flag. Fortunately, new personality changes are often easier to address, and many can be remedied.

1. Mood Swings and Behavioral Changes May Indicate UTI
A urinary tract infection (UTI) can have a sudden and significant impact on a senior’s demeanor. Most people are aware of the physical symptoms of UTIs, such as pain, burning and a persistent urge to urinate. But for many older individuals, atypical behavioral symptoms like irritability, angry outbursts and confusion are the only signs of infection. This is one of the first things that caregivers should check for if a loved one experiences sudden and unusual changes in behavior.

Read: UTIs Cause Unusual Behavioral Symptoms in Elders

2. Medications Can Affect Mood and Behavior
Many prescription medications have serious side effects that include personality changes. Psychiatric drugs are one clear example. They are intended to alter a person’s brain chemistry to improve mood and behavior, but the way they work in the body is very complicated. Certain types of these drugs simply may not function well with a senior’s brain chemistry. In some cases, the wrong medication can actually cause their condition to worsen. If your loved one has started a new antidepressant or another type of psychiatric medication, don’t just assume things will get better. Some of these drugs take several weeks to reach their full effect, whether it is positive or negative. Communicate with your loved one’s doctor about any changes in mood and behavior to ensure the new medication and dosage are still appropriate for their condition.

Other types of medications can have negative effects on personality, too. Anti-seizure medications, statins, blood pressure medications and even anti-inflammatories can cause personality and behavioral changes in some people. Drug interactions can also be problematic, so if your loved one takes several medications, the combination should be double checked by a physician or pharmacist for potential issues.

Read: Polypharmacy in the Elderly: Taking Too Many Medications Can Be Risky

3. Chronic Pain Can Make Seniors Irritable
Chronic pain can come on suddenly or very gradually over time, and it can be detrimental to a person’s quality of life and functional abilities. In addition to the physical effects, pain can be mentally and emotionally distressing as well. One study published in the journal Pain Research and Management found that chronic pain patients reported higher negative mood states, such as anger-hostility, depression-dejection, fatigue-inertia and tension-anxiety, compared to control subjects who reported no measurable pain. Participants living with chronic pain also exhibited neuromotor deficits in coordination and reaction time. To make matters worse, research has consistently shown that negative mood states can modify pain perception and interfere with the effectiveness of pain management strategies.

If your father or mother constantly complains or acts out, make sure they see a physician to check for painful changes in their health. Many elders “don’t want to complain,” so they refuse to go to the doctor. Ironically, they often continue complaining about aches and pains to their family members. They may even attempt to hide the real source of their discomfort by expressing frustration through criticism of everything and everyone around them.

Look for obvious signs that they might need a visit to the doctor for some enhanced pain relief. Arthritic joint pain is a common source of discomfort for older individuals, and indications include changes in gait (e.g., limping, moving more slowly, walking less), problems with dexterity, or fixating on a certain joint or area of the body.

4. A Senior’s Complaints Might Stem from Boredom
When people are in the workforce, raising children and socializing with friends, they may feel they have to rein in their negative personality traits. Once their responsibilities decrease or they retire, they may feel they have “earned” the right to say exactly what they think and feel. And much of what they feel could be negative if they are bored or no longer have a strong sense of purpose. These emotions are often compounded when they are accompanied by limited mobility, reduced energy and other age-related changes that affect their independence, daily routines and functioning. If they don’t have much else to focus on, seniors may fixate on the negative aspects of their lives or actively seek things to gripe about. Complaining becomes a new “hobby” for many elders as they slow down. Work with your loved one to help them find a pastime that fits their interests and ability levels and will keep them active, engaged and fulfilled.

Read: Keeping Seniors Busy and Active

5. Dementia Causes Personality Changes
Memory loss is the classic symptom that most people associate with dementia, but personality changes may be the first to appear in some seniors. Cognitive problems can go unnoticed by family and friends for quite some time if a loved one is particularly good at compensating for or covering up their impairment. Although their forgetfulness may not be apparent, they may become increasingly irritable and more easily flustered due to difficulties with basic tasks and lapses in memory. Brain changes associated with Alzheimer’s disease, frontotemporal dementia and other types of dementia often bring about significant personality changes. If you suspect a senior’s new behavior may be due to cognitive decline, it is important for them to receive a full physical and neurological evaluation.

I was a grumpy kid and I'm still a grumpy guy.

When do the happy personality changes start?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by ltbball
I saw a 19 year old die this past saturday at 11PM. Terrible. If he would have worn a seatbelt he would be alive today.

Prove it.

He provably wasn’t vaccinated either.

Perfectly irrational conclusion based upon the information provided. 😁

I say we dig up a no seatbelt crash victim, Frankenstein him, then put him in the same make and model vehicle under the same circumstances but with his belt(s) on, and try to kill him again.

I love trying to prove the non provable.

Sheesh,

Hold into fallacious reasoning.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Only wear one if I'm drinking a cold beer, so there is no excuse to pull me over.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hillestadj; 09/13/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
About how old are you OP and have you actually lived anywhere that's more than a few counties away from where you were born?

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Valsdad

1. Mood Swings and Behavioral Changes May Indicate UTI
A urinary tract infection (UTI) can have a sudden and significant impact on a senior’s demeanor. Most people are aware of the physical symptoms of UTIs, such as pain, burning and a persistent urge to urinate. But for many older individuals, atypical behavioral symptoms like irritability, angry outbursts and confusion are the only signs of infection. This is one of the first things that caregivers should check for if a loved one experiences sudden and unusual changes in behavior.

Read: UTIs Cause Unusual Behavioral Symptoms in Elders

2. Medications Can Affect Mood and Behavior
Many prescription medications have serious side effects that include personality changes. Psychiatric drugs are one clear example. They are intended to alter a person’s brain chemistry to improve mood and behavior, but the way they work in the body is very complicated. Certain types of these drugs simply may not function well with a senior’s brain chemistry. In some cases, the wrong medication can actually cause their condition to worsen. If your loved one has started a new antidepressant or another type of psychiatric medication, don’t just assume things will get better. Some of these drugs take several weeks to reach their full effect, whether it is positive or negative. Communicate with your loved one’s doctor about any changes in mood and behavior to ensure the new medication and dosage are still appropriate for their condition.

Other types of medications can have negative effects on personality, too. Anti-seizure medications, statins, blood pressure medications and even anti-inflammatories can cause personality and behavioral changes in some people. Drug interactions can also be problematic, so if your loved one takes several medications, the combination should be double checked by a physician or pharmacist for potential issues.

Read: Polypharmacy in the Elderly: Taking Too Many Medications Can Be Risky

3. Chronic Pain Can Make Seniors Irritable
Chronic pain can come on suddenly or very gradually over time, and it can be detrimental to a person’s quality of life and functional abilities. In addition to the physical effects, pain can be mentally and emotionally distressing as well. One study published in the journal Pain Research and Management found that chronic pain patients reported higher negative mood states, such as anger-hostility, depression-dejection, fatigue-inertia and tension-anxiety, compared to control subjects who reported no measurable pain. Participants living with chronic pain also exhibited neuromotor deficits in coordination and reaction time. To make matters worse, research has consistently shown that negative mood states can modify pain perception and interfere with the effectiveness of pain management strategies.

If your father or mother constantly complains or acts out, make sure they see a physician to check for painful changes in their health. Many elders “don’t want to complain,” so they refuse to go to the doctor. Ironically, they often continue complaining about aches and pains to their family members. They may even attempt to hide the real source of their discomfort by expressing frustration through criticism of everything and everyone around them.

Look for obvious signs that they might need a visit to the doctor for some enhanced pain relief. Arthritic joint pain is a common source of discomfort for older individuals, and indications include changes in gait (e.g., limping, moving more slowly, walking less), problems with dexterity, or fixating on a certain joint or area of the body.

4. A Senior’s Complaints Might Stem from Boredom
When people are in the workforce, raising children and socializing with friends, they may feel they have to rein in their negative personality traits. Once their responsibilities decrease or they retire, they may feel they have “earned” the right to say exactly what they think and feel. And much of what they feel could be negative if they are bored or no longer have a strong sense of purpose. These emotions are often compounded when they are accompanied by limited mobility, reduced energy and other age-related changes that affect their independence, daily routines and functioning. If they don’t have much else to focus on, seniors may fixate on the negative aspects of their lives or actively seek things to gripe about. Complaining becomes a new “hobby” for many elders as they slow down. Work with your loved one to help them find a pastime that fits their interests and ability levels and will keep them active, engaged and fulfilled.

Read: Keeping Seniors Busy and Active

5. Dementia Causes Personality Changes
Memory loss is the classic symptom that most people associate with dementia, but personality changes may be the first to appear in some seniors. Cognitive problems can go unnoticed by family and friends for quite some time if a loved one is particularly good at compensating for or covering up their impairment. Although their forgetfulness may not be apparent, they may become increasingly irritable and more easily flustered due to difficulties with basic tasks and lapses in memory. Brain changes associated with Alzheimer’s disease, frontotemporal dementia and other types of dementia often bring about significant personality changes. If you suspect a senior’s new behavior may be due to cognitive decline, it is important for them to receive a full physical and neurological evaluation.

I was a grumpy kid and I'm still a grumpy guy.

When do the happy personality changes start?

About the second or third beer 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
'cept I quit drinkin' years ago.

Grumpy guy, lots of booze = bad things happening.

Now, the Campfire keeps me in line.....................most of the time............................

folks here are a hoot..............some of the scheidt they come up with!

In it is contentment

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Few counties? WTF you talking about? I bought the property I was born on.

What has that got to do with Covid. The Vax. And the fact that neither the Vax nor a seat belt will guarantee you live through an unfortunate event, or even guarantee that event does not occur. But both greatly increase odds of survival, and decrease odds of debilitating injuries.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
...neither the Vax nor a seat belt will guarantee you live through an unfortunate event, or even guarantee that event does not occur. But both greatly increase odds of survival, and decrease odds of debilitating injuries.
But...and I believe you ‘do’ agree that...neither should be mandated upon the public.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Onstar fkrs are always spying so my seatbelt is always clicked in ....... behind me

never wore it, never will, f u u ck the nanny state and the pos followers

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by antlers
...neither the Vax nor a seat belt will guarantee you live through an unfortunate event, or even guarantee that event does not occur. But both greatly increase odds of survival, and decrease odds of debilitating injuries.
But...and I believe you ‘do’ agree that...neither should be mandated upon the public.

Absolutely agree!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

What has that got to do with Covid. The Vax. And the fact that neither the Vax nor a seat belt will guarantee you live through an unfortunate event, or even guarantee that event does not occur. But both greatly increase odds of survival, and decrease odds of debilitating injuries.

Not much to do with corona or seatbelts. Does provide insight into your motivations for starting this thread though.

The world isn't nearly as risky or scary, out past the end of your gravel road, as you might think it is.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Agreed, I took the OP the wrong way, but really question the “point” or “motivation”. Very odd. Similar to an Old Toot thread.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I worked many hundreds of car wrecks as a paramedic. Worked at least 500, probably close to 1,000 wrecks, many of them, I am trying to forget, I saw some pretty grim stuff. I worked many dozens of wrecks where people died. Seat belts work. You will not see someone who is an expert on car wrecks, a paramedic like me, who will drive 2 miles to the Corner Pantry without wearing their seat belt. If you go driving around without your seat belt on, before you read my post you were ignorant, but now, you are just stupid.

I am opposed to seat belt laws and I am opposed to motorcycle helmet laws.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A buddy got ticketed for no seat belt. When I asked how they knew, he said it was dangling out of the driver's side door. An old Toyota pickup from back in the lap belt era.

1Minute
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by copperking81

Not much to do with corona or seatbelts. Does provide insight into your motivations for starting this thread though.

The world isn't nearly as risky or scary, out past the end of your gravel road, as you might think it is.

Who du fug is scared?

But we do things to give us better odds.
I don't shovel needles in my arm.
I don't drink a half gallon of vodka every night.
I do wear seat belts.
I do take many Vax; flu, tetanus, shingles, hepatitis, and yes Covid.
I don't hang at the bar and screw every tattooed skunk who offers.

Fear has nothing to do with it. It's called playing the odds.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ltbball
Gregintenn

I apologize. He was 17 not 19. His name was Noah and he died at the end of my family farm on Augusta-Minerva Rd. in Bracken County KY.

You’ve no reason to apologize to me, sir. You are a better man than I if you can look at an auto accident and predict the outcome. I’ve seen folks die in a minor fender bender, and I’ve seen folks walk away from a mangled pile of scrap steel barely recognizable as being an automobile.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 12 invisible), 1,161 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,219
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.