Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Hi all,

I used to do archey WAAAAYYY back in high school. I used to shoot a compong bow for small game back then. I'm looking to get into traditional bowhunting.

I wanted to know if you guys had any recomendations for a starting longbow?

Thanks!

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
First, what price range? Then experience, size - physical
stature - start point for draw length and bow length, and use -
what do you intend to do with it? Go to 3 Rivers Archery Web site and you will get an idea of available production bows and if that will be in your price range. Then go over to the Trad Gang and/or Leatherwall Forums and browse for awhile. Shooting style will be a personal thing, so be prepared for the Instinctive verse Aided debate. This is a real hot topic - Unaided or Gap or Point of Aim or perish the thought putting a sight on a Longbow.

Then, consider a custom bow, a used bow, Ebay etc. for your purchase. Then decide if you want to shoot Carbon or Wood arrows.
Aluminum may be going the way of the DoDo. Then, there are all the neat quivers, shooting gloves/tabs, and armguards you have to have. The only limit will be $$$. Being properly equiped really helps in getting started.

The other alternative is build it yourself. I started out with a mail order longbow, then made my own. Cost will be the same as with a custom bow, but you learn a bunch about the sport of archery when you are building your own. Took a strip of hide off a big 4 x4 Mulie with my homemade bow and arrows in NM at the unlikely range of 45 yards. Best shot I never almost made. I shoot in 3D shoots whenever I can, generally you have to shoot wood arrows with the Longbow in those events. So beyond hunting there are some really great shoots with up to 12,000 shooters over a 4 day event to local shoots with 20-30 folks.

Great sport, great people and certainly a challange when not shooting with an 80% letoff. Since you have shot before, alot of these descisions will be easier to make.

Estacado

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I hope this answers some questions:

I'm a lefty (well left eye dominant), about 6'1", and I used to shot a bow regularly in high school, but that was many moons ago... I'm open to spending up to about $500 or so.

I want something pretty traditional/historical. I used to do historical reenactment as well, so I like "old time" kinds of things.

Thanks!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
3Rivers has a Bear Montana 64" for $290 and Greatree Outlander 68" for $239, about as low as you can get for an entry level bow.
The 68" bow would probably be better suited to your stature. I would consider something in the neighborhood of 45-50# to start.

Wooden arrows for some $70-74 are also available. Get them 5# heavier than the bow you purchase, and get them cut 1" longer than your draw length. "Rich man buy wood, poor man buy aluminum" is an old saying. You will find this to be true as you lose and break all those precious arrows. Cedar does smell good from a freshly broken arrow. I like the Super Glove or Dura Glove. Be sure and buy an arm guard, your arm will turn to hamburger as you start shooting otherwise. They also have a back quiver kit for some $75. You can make your own quiver and armguard easily if you are so inclined. Later, assembling your own arrows will save a lot of $$ but take some time.

Get Masters of the Barebow DVD, Traditional Bowhunters Handbook(Conrad),and Hit the Mark(Comstock). I have some 60 books and videos, these are a good place to start. You can purchase all at 3R online or visit their site.

This will just about make your $500 with all new stuff. It will meet your wants for a Howard Hill kind of setup for the traditional streak in you.

From there, good form and consistent practice of that form will get you into a really great sport. It has many niches you can evolve into, just dont get too enthralled with the Trad label. It is Archery regardless of the form/image you project. Just have fun.

Estacado

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ashley Archery and 3 Rivers are great to deal with.

Shop eBay and want ads for vintage longbows.
I picked up a Ben Pearson last year at a garage sale for $5.00.

Tom Jeffery will build one to suit you, after you have enough experience to know what you want to shoot for the rest of your life.

Jeffery Archery
P.O. Box 9625
Columbia SC 29290
Phone: 803-776-3832
Fax: 803-776-3832.

Longbow, custom for you
$562.00
http://www.jefferyarchery.com/main/longbows1.htm

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of good bows out there. They are all BASICALLY the same. The most important thing is that you don't "overbow" yourself. I would not recommend any longbow with a draw weight of more than 60 lbs unless you are VERY experienced.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Only owning a heavy bow is like only owning a .375 H&H - you can't learn on it, and if you don't shoot several times a week, you won't be able to shoot it enough to develop any skills.

Even if you get a 68-inch 50-lb longbow, you should keep looking for a good used one, like they used to use in schools and camps, with about a 30-lb draw weight, that you can practice with lots and lots. It's like having a centerfire and a .22 in the similar rifles (Marlin 336 and Marlin 39, for example).

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would stay away from the Bear Montana, pretty rough.

Being left handed limits your selection right off the top. Are you left eye dominant also? If you are right eye dominant, buy a RH bow.

My advice is find a place that you can actually shoot a bunch of different longbows. You will soon figure out what you like.
Do you have traditonal shop close by? Is there a traditional group of guys close to where you live? Most Traditional guys are extremely helpful. Pick up a copy of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. They have a whole section dedicated to Traditional archery clubs.

I know Black Widow and Robertson will let you test drive bows.

My personal advice for starting:
A lighter weight bow 50-60 lbs.
A longer bow 64-68" will have increased stability.
A heavier riser will be more stable in the hand.
Use a heavier arrow 10-12 gr per pound of draw weight, material not important. This will also help with stability as the arrow will absorb more of the bows energy.

Another thing I like is the slip on quivers like selway etc. This adds mass to the bow and makes it more stable when shooting. This is a personal preference.

Arrow spine is going to vary depending on length and how centershot the bow is.

Oh, and BTW, this traditional thing is very addictive and a very slippery path to go down. You will never be the same.

Or let me know where you live and I can look one up when I get home. PM me if want.

Arcus Venator

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,522
Posts18,509,699
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.