-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
$35 bucks a year seems kinda steep when one can get lots of load data on line today for free. Question for those who subscribe or have subscribed: Is it worth the $$? Thanks

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had it years ago and found it useful. Recently “resubscribed”. It’s good for comparing data from numerous sources and it also allows you to print data from multiple sources in the same forma, three-ring punch, and make your own “loading manual.”

Also, you can get data using a number of different components.

On the down side, it’s an outmoded and not really user-friendly platform. Sometimes it doesn’t readily find what you want so you have to do some poking around. Yeah, I think it’s kind of expensive as an annual subscription and I don’t know that they do a lot maintenance on it. At that price it should include a Y
year’s subscription to Handoader .

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I subscribe, mostly for odd cartridges. If I only had "standard run of the mill" cartridge rifles I'd probably not subscribe.

I don't subscribe every year. I last subscribed maybe 5 years ago then again this year. I have printed off all the cartridges I'm interested in. But if I buy a 33 or 35 Winchester or some other new to me cartridge I'd subscribe before the next 5 year period. Try to find 35 Brown Whelen, 375 Whelen AI, a 6mm-06 or other wildcat loads for instance - Load Data may have what you're looking for.

Also, trying to find old Handloader tests or Rifle tests can take a bit of time. Many of these tests are in Load Data.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, Gentlemen...very helpful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have joined for the past three years. It was useful for the obscure cartridges as someone mentioned above. It was the only source I could find for the 6.5x57 Mauser with Hodgdon powders (ADI manufactured). Even the ADI manufacturer here in Aus couldn't help me. There are also good articles published frequently.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have had it for years. It's worth it to me. Now, at work, we use it all the time.

Alan

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my issue is i only need data for the old 351 and 401 SL rifles from winchester, but not worth paying just for the two loads, if i could get it from someone that would be nice. grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've been a subscriber since it's first year, and its worth the money to me. Doesn't cost anymore than buying a new manual per year. I have a pretty good collection of loading manuals from about 1957 to present which get used too, but it's really convenient to just enter the cartridge, bullet weight, and powder on hand and see what comes up. For really obscure rounds it is useful to just put the cartridge name in just to get a hand full of loads.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's worth the money to me. Then again I have almost every loading manual I could buy for the last 40 years. Anybody want to pay an outrageous price for the A Square I bought at publication price?

I have found that some majors list more data in their manuals than they offer free on line. In today's world listings for older powders I have or newer powders when the old powder is unobtainable are worth the money to me.

Some of the time Load Data isn't worth the money and once in a while it's worth all that and more. Time was it was a great value as Wolfe, somewhat like the big Lee book, included a great deal of data assembled by the majors. That was stripped from the online access some years ago perhaps over royalties.

Agreed the interface is imperfect and could be better at fuzzy searching. I find it pays to keep trying when nothing at all is returned.

Just the same it's a broader computer search than anything else I know of or have even heard rumor of. If I didn't renew I'd miss it and be back subscribing pretty quick.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It’s a good way to see what’s unlikely with a specific cartridge and bullet weight.

Worth it for me.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This site has been very helpful, loads reported by shooters for various calibers. Always check reported loads against a reloading manual:

http://centerfirecentral.com/viewer.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it was well worth the price.....for one year.....but it's usefulness was gone after that as I wrote down all the load data I liked.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
$35 bucks a year seems kinda steep when one can get lots of load data on line today for free. Question for those who subscribe or have subscribed: Is it worth the $$? Thanks

Originally Posted by southtexas

$35.00 is steep, really? The value of a baby sitter for 2 hrs or a bottle of wine. It could save you hrs of load development , powder, bullets and primers.

Last edited by sidepass; 10/02/21.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like it. There's a lot of info there. It would cost a bunch more to buy all the loading manuals for data covered by that site.

DF.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Are the loads listed in Load Data all safely within industry pressure limits or are they simply loads someone found somewhere at some point in time.

In other words, are they universally safe to use in a modern, well manufactured firearm?

Last edited by outahere; 10/02/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The listed loads are all safe to use "in a modern, well manufactured firearm."

They've all been published in either HANDLOADER or RIFLE magazine, and all the more recent loads (say the past decade) have been vetted to conform to published data.

The other part of the deal is that data continues to be added as more articles are published, with newer powders and bullets in newer cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Didn’t know that. Good to know, thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I really like Ken Waters' Pet Loads. As useful as it is, it's dated. For us ole farts hanging onto our stash of vintage powder, it's great

But, with the Load Data site, you get current info with modern powders from Handloader and Rifle plus data from Norma, Nosler, Sierra, etc.

I use it a good bit and to me it's worth the yearly fee. I renew every year.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

They've all been published in either HANDLOADER or RIFLE magazine, and all the more recent loads (say the past decade) have been vetted to conform to published data.

The other part of the deal is that data continues to be added as more articles are published, with newer powders and bullets in newer cartridges.

This. Imagine if Pet Loads got updated every couple of weeks.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This. Imagine if Pet Loads got updated every couple of weeks.

Okie John

To a point, per the data, but we don’t have Waters’ Pet Loads commentary on the loads, how they performed and in the guns he used.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.