Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've decided to give Minnesota blackbear a "shot" here on our forty before I head back to alaska in two weeks.I'm not into running a bait station but would like some help coming up with a homebrew I can set out, perhaps on a burner to bring in something worth shooting, kinda last minute as opening is this weekend, but it beats not going out, time in the woods you know. Any suggestions?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do a honey burn. I had awesome results with burning honey this spring, having both black and brown bears show up within minutes. I'd do a burn for about 10-15 minutes at a time.

bearstalker,
I'm not familiar with "burining honey". Can you provide a few more details please?

I'm intelligent enough to know I'll never be genius and I'm OK with that.
I live vicariously through my own memories.
Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?
Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
raspberry jello mix. heard it works EXTREMELY well

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
honey or bacon grease burns have worked well. Its like real estate, though. Location, location, location. Set up upwind of an area you may expect a bear to be traveling or bedded. As in the thickest you can find.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Andy_in_NH
bearstalker,
I'm not familiar with "burining honey". Can you provide a few more details please?

Sure. It's pretty simple. I just fired up my small msr stove and placed a pan on top. I waited a couple of minutes until the pan was hot and started to slowly pour honey into it. You'll be producing huge amounts of white smoke in no time. And if you have any wind or a breeze, the better.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
FWIW,
If the honey doesn't bring them in try grilling some hamburger and bacon. My relatives have a dairy farm in/around Red Lake and they say if you want to see a bear get out the grill. grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Thanks bearstalker.

I gave it try. Damn honey boiled over and put out the stove! Live and learn right?! I got the stove home and was able to salvage it. The next time the burn went much better.

How often do you do the burn? When setting up? Or just when baiting the barrel?

I've got some dogfood mixed with bacon grease set out with some sunfish and large minnows my son and I caught last week. I'm hoping that both of those will be irresistable for a bear.

I'm intelligent enough to know I'll never be genius and I'm OK with that.
I live vicariously through my own memories.
Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?
Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 68 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,726
Posts18,514,283
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.